HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   anyone start out traditional? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/81907-anyone-start-out-traditional.html)

dkeener 12-08-2004 01:01 PM

anyone start out traditional?

Just curious how many bow hunters in here started out hunting traditional and then switched to compound. If so, does it feel almost like you are gun hunting at times? I just started shooting compound this season. Please don't turn this thread into an elitism thing as there is already a thread going on about that that you can respond to.

Rob/PA Bowyer 12-08-2004 01:19 PM

RE: anyone start out traditional?

Yes, I started out traditional but that was back when I was a young teenager. I was interested in hunting with a bow and all I could find was an old fiberglass recurve that my cousin had. I remember countless hours and lost arrows small game hunting. It was probably a God send that no deer walked anywhere near me to tempt a young foolish "bowhunter". When I was 15 I received a shiny, black metal flaked Bear Black Bear II for my Nov birthday, well some arrows later I was out with it still shooting instinctive with a compound. I learned, I experienced and became wiser in the ways of bow shooting as well as bowhunting but I didn't kill/recover a deer with that bow til my early 20's and it was a small doe. Before the next year I received a new compound, a Jennings Carbon Extreme for my birthday, setup with sights, etc...and a release. After a full season of 3D shoots I took my first bow buck that fall and never looked back. Now after 20 years of bowhunting and countless whitetails as well as other species of bow kills, I've never looked back. I also accept the fact that I will never be good enough to hunt with a recurve or longbow and will not go back to instinctive shooting with a compound. Do I feel like I'm gun hunting, Hell no....

I was working a Hoyt booth at an outdoor show a while back when a young lad came to the booth, looked at all the equipment with a scow on his face and I knew he anticipated saying something so I bit....I asked " Do you bow hunt?" , he pushed his chest out, shoulders back and said, "yeah, but I hunt the hard way"....so I asked "Oh, how's that?" and he replied..." with a stickbow".....I said " can you hit every animal you have within 20 yards?"....he snapped "I absolutely can!"......I replied...so can I so why is it harder for you? Isn't it about getting the animal under 20 yards the hard part.... his chest sunk, his shoulders relaxed and we had a pleasant conversation.....so you see, gun/bow, bow/crossbow, compound/recurve, flyfisher/worm fisher....your always going to have some "I do it the hard way."

I personally think it's gotten out of hand in the hunting industry but I'm not immuned to it myself. In the end, we need to be together or lose what we know is hunting today.

rybohunter 12-08-2004 01:37 PM

I started out with a recurve as a kid. I didn't have enough money to buy a compound. I practiced my butt off at haybales in the yard. Missed 2 bucks that year, one of them twice. Saved my money for the following year and was ready to take on the deer with my PSE pulsar express. I didn't get a shot that fall. But the next fall I did....and as they say the rest is history. I will probably go back to using a recurve on occasion, if I can find the time to get comfortable enough with it again. Even hunting now with a modern compound bow I don't feel there is any comparison with a gun or ease to my bowhunting. I don't shot over 25 yds, and of my last 5 bowkills, the farthest was 16 yds, the rest were under 10.

Arthur P 12-08-2004 01:54 PM

I'm happy to say I started when I was a little kid and there was no such thing as traditional. It was just 'archery' for the first 13 years of my shooting, until the compound was invented, and 'traditional' was invented soon after. Took me more than 10 years after they hit the market before I ever gave in to the inevitable and soiled my hands with a compound. Shot them in competition a lot. Even hunted with them some, but I've never switched to compounds. My primary hunting bows have always been recurves and longbows.

KentuckyBuck 12-08-2004 04:21 PM

I started out with a longbow when I was 13, and then a recurve when I was 15, but I didn't ever practice regularly, and I couldn't hit consistently. It was fun taking the bow and feeling different than my friends who shot compounds, but I couldn't hit well with it, so now I use a compound.

royak 12-08-2004 04:33 PM

When I started there was no compounds 1964 I did switch but I still have a few recurves.

IL-Cornfed 12-08-2004 04:53 PM

Yes sir, my first bow was a Bear Kodiak Magnum recurve! I shot that bow all spring and summer gearing up for my chance at a deer. I didn't score that first year but my buddy did! I remember standing over that lil' 7 pointer in complete shock that the bow and arrow had actually killed something! My oh my has my equipment changed since then! BUT, you know I still have that ol' recurve! :D

martin.8 12-08-2004 05:40 PM

Yes I started out shooting a Darton hunting bow and bought a Bear kodiac later. I bagged a couple whitetails and shot quite a few cottontails and squirrels over 10 years. I was not to consistant to say the least. I shot many arrows that flew over and under the deer. One time I emptied my quiver on a doe and never did hit her.
I've shot compounds for many years now and have to say I make many more good clean kills which I could not have done with the recurve.
I still want to get out the recurve and harvest a deer one of these years again. Have fun.

vaporbowhunter 12-08-2004 06:09 PM

I started out when i was 5 shooting a recurve never really took it too seriously. Two years ago i bought a compound and got a doe the first year and this year i got a awesome buck. But its not nearly as fun as traditional to me. Thats why this spring i bought a new fred bear super kodiak and the compound is retired. I will be using my recurve next year. I cant wait to break it in. It will take practice but thats just as fun as being out there.