Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you carry in that Backpack?? >

What do you carry in that Backpack??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you carry in that Backpack??

Old 12-08-2004, 09:35 AM

Default RE: What do you carry in that Backpack??

I'm the same as a few of you on here. I can definitely get away with just a fanny pack for my hunting goodies (bino's, rattle bag, tree steps and such). But I put my coat and sometimes a fleece (if it is cold) in my pack and walk to my stand in just a shirt or so.

This helps alot in keeping me from sweating too much on my way in. Once I get in the tree I put my jacket on and get comfortable. Works great, I recommend it to everyone. There's nothing worse than getting all sweated up and then sitting down for a few hours in freezing cold weather.

Just my input.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you carry in that Backpack??

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I'm a backpack guy

I strap it to my treestand, carry it in/out. I put my coat inside on the way in (if there's room). Other items I always carry: an MRE for the day (get em from military surplus store), camera, scents, wicks, bino's, grunt tube, bleat can, drink, pee jug, rain poncho, drag rope, safety belts, an engaging book to read, glow tacks, GPS (depending on location), Radio (if I'm not hunting alone), granola bars, hand warmers, chap stick, bow holder, bow rope, flashlight, lighter, scent killer, spare clothes as weather may require.

I usually hunt in national forest with 1-2 mile hike in - I hunt from dark to dark.

If I'm close to a road (less than 1/2 mile), I leave the bag at home, use a fanny pack.

My stand weighs 13 lbs., with my pack it goes to 21 lbs. That's still less than some larger, more cumbersome climbers. If you can drag out a 160 pound carcass, carrying in a neatly-packed 21 pound pack is a breeze.

I hate having a hunting day cut short by cold/rain/hunger, or spending an unplanned night in the woods unprepared. This prevents such an episode.
LOL- quicksiver i do believe your ready for just about any thing
Old 10-28-2017, 06:22 AM
Spike

Boots. Quality boots are a no brainer for a backpack hunt, as a single blister in the wrong place, or beat up feet can instantly end a hunt, even the hunt of a lifetime. ...
Rain Gear. ...
Pack. ...
Glassing Optics. ...
Riflescope. ...
Stove. ...
Trekking Poles. ...
Knife
Old 11-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Spike

Default Here's what I carry - its ridiculous

Originally Posted by gutshot
I see so many of these hunters on T.V. carrying a backpack while hunting whitetails and I can't figure out what all they need to make it through the day that they would have to have a backpack to carry it in. I always have a extra release,flashlight,grunt call,can call, gutting knife,gloves and facemask,limb saw, rangefinder and all of that fits into a 7 pocket fannypack. So I'm wondering if you guys wear a fannypack or backpack? And if you wear a backpack what all is in it?
My wife and I self film all our hunts (for our own challenge and enjoyment). Here's what I have in my backpack (which is as big as I can find):

Large video camera including lights, extra batteries, etc.
Large camera arm for video camera (very heavy)
GoPro camera for second angle with gorilla mounts
Virb camera with tree attachment
bow arm
Ozonics unit
Tree attached umbrella (got to protect the camera)
extra clothes
various elk calls
1.5 liter camelback
bow rope and extra bow rope
headlamp
food
emergency locator beacon
binos and range finder
Paper towel (for cleaning up animal before filming)
various knives and a butt out (best invention ever)
Lighter and small first aid kit.
Reflective markers (for marking out trails in the dark)
flagging tape
And a bunch of other misc. stuff

At times, it's all I can do to climb into the treestand.....
Old 11-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Spike

6’6” and 315....I carry food, lol