Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Owls in my hunting spot HELP!! >

Owls in my hunting spot HELP!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Owls in my hunting spot HELP!!

Old 12-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Owls in my hunting spot HELP!!

I think it is the white of your eyes that they see. I have been setting there in a full face mask perfectly still etc. when and owl or a hawk will come in and land a little ways out from and start giving me the stare down. I believe in these cases they saw the whites of my eyes moving and got interested. In my other cases I think I would up in a tree that they had a nest inside of.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:20 PM

When I first started hunting, I had a Savage 7MM Mag, stainless Barrel, Synthetic stock. Anyway, I am all camoed out and sitting real still. The barrle of my gun is sticking out and this friggin bird decides he wants to use it as a roost. As it is coming in on final approach, feet are inshec from touchdown, I turned my head to look at whats coming at me. frekaed me and the bird out. I think it probably went off and died of a heart attack.

Another time, I am standing in this grove of pines, made a nice natural ground blind. Again all camoed out, and a friggin squirrel runs up my leg, I jump, the squirrel jumps off, lands about 12 feet away. I think it too died of a heart attack. I know I almost did.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:20 PM

How tall are you silentasassin? They may have thought you were a mouse!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Elitist trad owls attacking compound shootin' rats hanging in trees. ROTFLMAO![8D]
Old 12-07-2004, 09:58 PM

Great stuff guys thanks for all your advice and most of you are right they are scary. I have twice had five of them circling me and taking turn swooping down at me and many times one or two owls. When they do that I stand and swing my arms(not good for deer hunting)so they see me. Sometimes they land near and watch me sometimes they keep coming, Ive even swung at them withmy bow. I know the easy anwser is just split but why should I, I put lots of time and work at this spot. So you see the best deer hunting hour gets scewed up by the damn owls.keep the advice coming
Old 12-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Get a couple of mice that they feed snakes with. Lase them with some Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce. They'll be to busy looking for a drink than to bother you!!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Bird Hunt Dog

Get a couple of mice that they feed snakes with. Lase them with some Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce. They'll be to busy looking for a drink than to bother you!!!!
That sounds like a plan. except I would put them on the ground and tie them to 2# fishing line so you can twitch it. Our horses used to chew on the edges of a shed in the pasture till we put hot sauce on the edges. The made it to the water troph in a hurry. It was amusing and they haven't done it since.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:44 PM

Owls and hawks are territorial. They know you are not just a big old blob and they don't want you near their tree, or in this case, grove of trees. I've been divebombed by migrating hawks but not owls. They seem to just leave me alone. Barred owls roost in a grove pines near where I hunt and they don't bother me at all. I can even call them in with my mouth at dusk.

Might sound dumb but what about a crow decoy? Don't crows hate owls? Maybe stand Mr. Crow on your stand. No, really, I'm serious.

Greg
Old 12-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bob d

well you should not be in the tree after the sun goes down it is not legal to deer hunt at night
what kind of reply is that?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: bowbandit

Great stuff guys thanks for all your advice and most of you are right they are scary. I have twice had five of them circling me and taking turn swooping down at me and many times one or two owls. When they do that I stand and swing my arms(not good for deer hunting)so they see me. Sometimes they land near and watch me sometimes they keep coming, Ive even swung at them withmy bow. I know the easy anwser is just split but why should I, I put lots of time and work at this spot. So you see the best deer hunting hour gets scewed up by the damn owls.keep the advice coming
No offense bowbandit, but they have more of a right to be there than you do - their survival probably depends on it. I say if you can't stand them swooping at you, then you should find a new spot.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: Owls in my hunting spot HELP!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.