Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Another debateable question >

Another debateable question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another debateable question

Old 12-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default Another debateable question

First off, I will say that there is no better trophy than one you take with a bow, but when rifle and ML season comes around I normally leave the stick and string at the house. I agree, the reward is not as great if you kill a trophy animal with a gun, but I still get enjoyment and satisfaction out of it.

Anyway, the deal is, I have already shot my buck for the 2004 rifle season. I can't shoot another buck with my bow until rifle season is over. I am allowed to shoot a doe this weekend with a rifle. Instead of taking a rifle out, I decided that I am going to shoot my grandpa's S&W .44 mag revolver with open sights. My max distance that I feel comfortable at is 50 yards. I have shot it several times and I believe I can shoot better groups with my bow at 30 and 40 yards than I can with this pistol. Not saying I can't hit good with the pistol b/c I can, I just shoot better with my bow at that yardage.

Here's my question. Say I could shoot a buck. I go hunting with this pistol that limits me to nearly the same distances as my bow, giving about 15-25 yards depending on the archer, and a large 150" deer walks out at 25 yards and I take it. Is this less of a trophy if I had not shot it with a pistol and shot it with my bow? Although it was shot with a "rifle", it was still in the same situation as a bow hunter would be in. What's your opinion?

I believe more deer are taken with a bow every year than there are with an open sighted pistol. I still think the bow is the ultimate, but the pistol hunt would be a very close second.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:16 PM

Default RE: Another debateable question

I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the pistol aspect of shooting, but I have heard many say it is tough. I say if it is more of a challenge to you than your bow, the trophy should be just as respectable. It's all about YOUR sense of pride and what YOU have worked for personally.

I don't think anyone on here can tell you that it would be less of a trophy considering the skill that is involved (but I am sure some will try...).

I would worry more about your consistency and the chance you may miss the "sweet spot". If you are more accurate with your bow and you know Mr.Monster was waiting on you to harvest him, I'd probably take the bow. HOWEVER, if you want to have a pistol trophy on your wall, go for it if you know you can kill it.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

I agree. If I HAD to gun hunt it would be with a pistol!
Old 12-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well IMO it would be considered as much of a trophy to me., but thats me... hunting with a psitol is quite a challange and a steady rest is needed to make a good shot most of the time. And if it where me i would say a pistol ranks right up there with the bow, as far as being more of a challange to using a rifle or shotgun.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even though your accuracy is similar with both weapons, the bow is still going to be the better trophy IMHO. You don't have to draw a pistol like you would a bow, you can shoot through much smaller holes with it without as much fear of hitting branches and the follow-up shot is immediately available as well.

Of the 6 deer I've taken so far this year, half of them were taken during one of the firearms seasons . . . with my bow.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am carrying a pistol this gun season and let me tell you if I manage to take a deer with it, I am going to be the happiest guy around. Opening day was a lot of frustration waiting to get the perfect shot, and a miss on a not so perfect but still should have made it attempt didn't help matters. I did pass my 2 best shot chances cause they were button heads but my patience and standards are wearing low. Pistol hunting is very challenging.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been able to do it, if you take a deer with a pistol my hats off to you
Old 12-02-2004, 06:06 PM

i have taken good bucks with every weapon legal here in IN. for examples 150 inch 12 pointer with a shotgun, 151 inch 10 pointer with a muzzel loader (patch and round ball 54cal.),137inch 8 pointer and 142 inch 11 pointer with my bow, and 138 inch 10 pointer with my 44mag. . there are others but those are my best and i won't settle for anything less now, but anyway i can honetly say my bow kills are my most rewarding. if, however ,you have never used a pistol on a trophy deer it's a thrill too.

SIZE MATTERS LET'EM GO ANOTHER YEAR
RESPECT THE ANIMAL YOU HUNT
HOYT USA
QDM
Old 12-03-2004, 10:01 AM

am sure is not the same.. . there are so many more thngs depending you while bowhunting... I have never really considerd pistol hunting .. I often think that compound bows are a bit to fancy. I think that greater the challange the greater the reward. But if that great challenge is with a pistol than more power to you.. I really type this one out.. Forgive the tought prosses

Tim
Old 12-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

I scout hard & hunt hard. Yes I love bowhunting the most. I respect the hunt & the deer the same no matter what I use to take it. The areas I hunt 100 yard shot is probable the farthest I can shoot with any weapon. If I can get a mature deer with in 25 yards it makes no difference to me if I shoot it with a gun.

Quick Reply: Another debateable question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.