HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   New to Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/81643-new-forum.html)

Flintflinger 12-06-2004 01:28 PM

New to Forum

Greetings all,
I am new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself.

I have been a gun hunter for the last 7 years, this was my first year bow hunting. I have been reading all the posts about gun hunting and bow hunting and which is more gratifying or which is easier. To be honest bow hunting was easier for me. It took me 5 years gun hunting to harvest my first deer. I got my first deer bowhunting, the second weekend of the season. Here in Oregon we are allowed only one deer and one elk. This year was buck or doe, cow or bull. I try to practice QDM in the areas I hunt, but it is all public land. I had many chances of taking smaller less mature deer, than the big doe I ended up taking. I knew I wasnt going to get to hunt after the second weekend so I took my doe. She was a big girl. I am not a small guy, 6'4" 250#, and I needed help getting her out. I estimate her at being in the 130# range, field dressed.

I am very proud of the deer I chose to harvest. I and a nice quartering away shot. As I released, she turned toward me quartering to me. I ended up hitting her in front of the left shoulder. I was not happy about the shot. I didnt look like I got very much penetration as she was running away. I heard a loud crash in the direction she ran, so I slowly went looking. I found a nice blood trail. I found half of my arrow covered in blood. And then I founf her. She went down about 30 yards form where I hit her. When we opened her up, all vitals were intact. I guess I hit a major artery and she bled out quick. There may have been a nick in one lung, it wasnt very big. My hunting party was proud of me for remaining calm while drawing on my first deer. I am proud of myself and she will always be a memory I can look back on.

adams 12-06-2004 01:53 PM

RE: New to Forum

Glad to have you join us.

I have been a gun hunter for the last 7 years, this was my first year bow hunting. I have been reading all the posts about gun hunting and bow hunting and which is more gratifying or which is easier. To be honest bow hunting was easier for me. It took me 5 years gun hunting to harvest my first deer. I got my first deer bowhunting, the second weekend of the season.
I just have one question. Do you think your 7 years of hunting (make that 7 years of accumilated skill) help to make you first year of bow hunting easier?

Pa Trophy Man 12-06-2004 02:07 PM

Welcome to the board. I am not even gunna touch on the subject of which is easier ;)

Flintflinger 12-06-2004 02:39 PM

I think my 7 years gun hunting did contribute to my first bow kill, however, I hunt with my brother in law who has been gun hunting for 20 years, bow hunting for 3, still has yet to harvest with his bow. I dont remember a time that he hasnt harvested with his gun. Anyway, that is neither here nor there, I was just in the right spot at the right time. I did learn alot while gun hunting, I learned alot more while bow hunting.

I dont want to be controversial. I dont think hunting by any means is easy, no matter your choice of weapon. Granted it doesnt take a whole lot of skill to shoot at smoething 200 yards away but it does take skill TO BE ABLE to shoot 200 yards away. Any idiot can shoot AT something 200 yards out, but it takes skill to HIT what your aiming at. Just as it takes skill to shoot at an animal 26 yards out with a bow. Case in point, my brother inlaw. Second year bow hunting, didnt practice much. Called in a 3 point bull elk. Flung 4 arrows at and missed each time, 2 under, 2 over. Was there any skill in that? Not in my opinion. Skill comes with practice. He didnt practice.

My bottom line is that hunting isnt easy, if it were every one would do it.

cardeer 12-06-2004 03:08 PM

Welcome

scottycar 12-06-2004 04:06 PM

welcome

adkfreeridex 12-06-2004 05:03 PM

welcome to the board, ive been bowhunting for 6 years now, since i was 14 and still have not killed a deer. I want my first deer to be a nice buck, then after that i will have no problem taking a nice doe if she comes my way. around me most bucks i see are 1.5 year olds, they are little and i'd rather kill larger one if i had to choose. thing is, if i had been hunting with a slug gun i'd have at least 4 big bucks (2.5, 3.5 year olds) by now, i was was limited by the shot at the time. but with a bow everything has to be right. there is much less room for error with a bow if you ask me.....sorry, i thaught i would be the devils adovcate here.

RTA47 12-06-2004 06:30 PM

Welcome

BowHuntingFool 12-06-2004 06:45 PM

Welcome!