Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Meat"/"Trophy" Hunters! >

"Meat"/"Trophy" Hunters!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Meat"/"Trophy" Hunters!

Old 12-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default "Meat"/"Trophy" Hunters!

This is a run off one other posts. There was some talk about helping and hurting our sport.

Who out their practices land management? Planting food plots to help hold and grow healthy animals ect....

If you do please state whether you consider your self a "Meat" Or "Trophy" hunter!
Old 12-02-2004, 01:45 PM

Default RE: "Meat"/"Trophy" Hunters!

Good question. I have two small plots. One is a half acre of Imperial Clover and the other (which I plan to expand next spring) was 1000 sq' of Imperial Powerplant. Next year I plan to expand the powerplant to about 5000sq'.

I will not classify my self as a meat or trophy hunter though. I practice QDM which means letting little bucks walk and shooting does. I enjoy hunting and I hope (my intensions are) that my actions help the herd be as healthy as it can be.

(Yes I like big bucks and yes I like to eat venison. I prefer my venison to be big buck or doe though).
Old 12-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I both meat hunt and look for a rack. I hunt the first 2 weeks or so for does in a area that I can take up to 4 . Then as the rut starts and I have taken a meat doe I look for a nice buck ,then its back to doe's after the rut or like most years after I take the 1 buck lets me take.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

I am also both. I have no problems shooting a doe but if its a buck its gotta be as good one! I think too many consider that a ''Trophy Hunter".

I'm in MN we get one either sex tag. Unless you buy the $80 one. Then you can shoot both. If I have only one tag I'm waiting till the end of the season to use it unless he's big. If I go skunked Its not the end of the world. I will use it on a doe but only the last couple of days!
Old 12-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot does for meat and hold out for the large rack before I release an arrow at a deer. I have planted clover on my property for the deer. They ignore it and eat my fruit trees which is NOT for them.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

No food plots. I just hunt and shoot what is legal. Myself I choose not to shoot young animals.And I guess at this stage in my hunting life ,it is for meat
Old 12-02-2004, 05:47 PM

I hunt for the Meat, Doe or buck First day if i see a big doe i take it or a decent buck ill take its all about Meat my Whole family eats deer meat so it works out great!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 05:50 PM

the only thing is that big bucks dont taste nearly as good because of all the testosterone. shooting littler deer is better tasting and good practice for the big bucks.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:48 PM

I have anywhere from 100-200 acres of food plots out year around. Needless to say I consider myself a trophy hunter.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:54 PM

I do use food plots, have seven food plots on 250 acres, most are around and acre in size, I also have a sanctuary area set up for the deer to feel safe in, and we dotn enter the area unless we absolutely have to, and also work on the forest areas to help boost acorn production, and good cover for them to feel secure.

As far as meat or trophy,, I guess i could be called both. Me and my family love the meat and eat a lot of it each year, But we also like to take mature bucks, so any buck who isnt mature is let to grow to maturity. For meat we still manage to take a mature buck or two each year, and some does who are also mature. I think it makes a healthier herd to remove older animals past their prime and let the youger more verile animals go on to carry on their genetics.

Quick Reply: "Meat"/"Trophy" Hunters!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.