Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "I only hunt for the meat"? >

"I only hunt for the meat"?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"I only hunt for the meat"?

Old 12-02-2004, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: "I only hunt for the meat"?

There's no doubt I'm addicted to bowhunting and all aspects of the hunt. But I "truely" do meat hunt. I try to have atleast 5 deer in the freezer each fall. Wife and I make jerky, corned roasts, salami,brats,beer sticks and burger. We eat it 3x week, and it really saves $$$ for us. I don't trophy hunt at all and feel those that due are hurting our hobby....that being said, if a mounter walks by while I'm on stand, he fair game for me. Taz
Old 12-02-2004, 09:44 AM

I also stated that you could go to a local butcher and get your meat. There you can get meat from local farmers that raise there own beef. My family used to raise cattle for this purpose. It's not all nasty chemical injected crap. Our beef ate the same thing deer did pretty much, and were well taken care of. I don't see how it would be any less healthy except for the fact that venison is leaner. And how really knows what deer are eating in the wild? They could be eating pesticides and all kinds of other chemicals you don't know about.

As far as me being a sicko, No I don't think so. I said the truth of it, and when you boil it all down that is the case. The honest truth is in the modern world you really don't need to hunt in order to survive, period. You are either doing it for sport, or population control. If you feel other wise then maybe you are in denial and using it as excuse to justify it to yourself and others. I don't feel the need for since it's legal, that's enough for me. It's not like I'm out sacrificing the neighbor hood cats or something.

I think you can feel the way you want to about it, and I can feel the way I want to about it. I don't believe either of us is mentally unstable and I don't really apreciate being called a sicko. I bet you have killed way more animals than I have in my life, you just seem to have a better excuse for it.

And if you were really there just for the experience, why not take a camera instead of a gun?

Paul
Old 12-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: tazimna

I don't trophy hunt at all and feel those that due are hurting our hobby....that being said, if a mounter walks by while I'm on stand, he fair game for me. Taz

How in the world can someone that sits in stand, lets 5-10 small bucks walk, maybe shoots a doe. And IF he's lucky takes a trophy. Be hurting our hobby. If anyones hurting our hobby, its the guys that shoot any thing that moves!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:17 AM

I don't think the way either of you hunts hurts my sport. It is when one hunter holds up another hunters way of doing things as wrong and shouts that out for others to hear - that is what hurts our sport. The fact that you choose your way and I choose mine is what it is...just fine.

Greg
Old 12-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

Gryan,
Your right!
It just bothers when people look down at "trophy hunters". I worked my way up to where I am with years of hunting. I also believe that unless you shot anything that walks by your stand, you are a "trophy hunter" in some sense!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:30 AM

There has been a lot of looking down on others ways of doing things around here lately.

I know what you mean about working your way up to a "trophy hunter." I get closer every year but I'm just not there 100% yet. That is in terms of the deer. Boy do I have a lot of other types of trophies.

Greg
Old 12-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is actually a pretty good thread and it is turning out better than I thought it would. Like I said, I mean no dissrespect to many of the "meat hunters" on these boards but it has been my experience that the ones that call themselves this is my area are simply not that good of hunters. It is far easier to make excuses and kill the first deer that steps out than it is to truly learn the habits of older more mature animals in any given area. Many hunters simply aren't willing or can't take their hunting to the next level. However, I seriously tire of the "meat hunters" constanty making it sound like "trophy hunters" are "bad for the sport! [:@] Have ya heard of the B&C or P&Y clubs??? These orgs most certainly haven't been "bad for the sport".... in fact, they have made the sport what it is today!

I guess ultimately it is the unpredictable nature of the beast that keeps me so hopelessly addicted. Thus a "trophy hunter", IMHO, is simply a serious sportsman who set goals and then thrives on these challenges. That's what it's all about for me! I learned long ago how to "trick" the "average" deer and these days I would rather watch and learn anything else I can from them then send an arrow through their lungs. MY goal is not to take a buck unless I would be very proud of him. It just make absolutely NO sense to me to kill a buck just to saw off the rack and toss it in the closet or my garage. If he is not nice enough to want to proudly display than I have NO business in taking his life. Plus, I have also learned..... IF it is meat that you want then WOW do you get alot of it when your buck weighs 300#!!! IF it's not antlers that you want and you don't care at all about them then PLEASE take a Doe so the herd won't grow and let that yearling buck walk! It's all about a quality experience with a quality herd. Good luck to everyone regardless of what you're shootin' for this season
Old 12-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Well it sounds like some people really just don't know how good they have it. Blodg compared to atlasman, If blodg has all these deer and even sees mature ones a couple times a year it's obvious that atlasman's deer would be much more of a trophy, much more challenging and rewarding then a deer that you see all the time. The real question is can you trophy hunters tough it out when your not seeing deer. Can you go a week without a sighting never mind being in bow range.. Can you go out knowing it will take you years to get a glimpse of your so called trophy, and if it doesn't present you with a shot, oh well wait another decade.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

think its safe to say that anyone in their right mind would rather shoot a wall-hanger than a little spike or button buck. But I think the guys who will only shoot big bucks are hurting deer hunting as a whole. That's one of the problems right now, people aren't shooting enough does. I love venison and so does my family and its a tradition to have venison steaks and burgers and I want when I have kids some day to have the same traditions. Maybe I wait and wait and wiat for a nice buck and it never comes and I just say there passing on does and smaller inferior bucks and wasting tags. It's our responsibilty for the deer herd to kill the inferior bucks before they can mate and spread that inferiority. And if nothing else for the farmers who provide the food source that takes a beating every year from all the does and little bucks your passing up on.
standsnblinds,

Can you point out the things that you look for to tell if a buck is inferior? What steps do you go through to determine it?
Old 12-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Like what was stated earlier!
MY goal is not to take a buck unless I would be very proud of him. It just make absolutely NO sense to me to kill a buck just to saw off the rack and toss it in the closet or my garage. If he is not nice enough to want to proudly display than I have NO business in taking his life.
I'm not going to shot an animal unless I'm going to be 100% proud of my accomplishment! I would not be proud to shoot a small buck! I've been lucky, a Buddie of mine hasn't shot a deer for 5 years. He has a goal of around 150" and he hunts State land.

Quick Reply: "I only hunt for the meat"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.