HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Opinions wanted! Is this shed from this buck? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/81002-opinions-wanted-shed-buck.html)

buckeye 11-30-2004 09:24 PM

Opinions wanted! Is this shed from this buck?

So what do you guys say? I went to the taxis to take the pic tonight.

I found this shed 3 winter ago 300 or so yards from where I shot this guy this year.

Same deer or different? You can see the G2 is busted off at the main beam.

I also got my appointment to have it officially scored for P&Y the first week of JAN. I look forward to posting the results for any of the nay sayers:)

What do ya say?

Tribal 11-30-2004 09:26 PM

RE: Opinions wanted. Is this shed from this deer?

Boy, I would say that a great chance that is the deer. Thats a distinct forked browtine. Man thats great, now there is more to the story. Congrats.

nubo 11-30-2004 09:29 PM

It sure look's to me like it could have come from the same buck ,perfect shape .I'd say it was .

nubo

huntinMN 11-30-2004 09:32 PM

sure looks like it is, congrats

paulywog 11-30-2004 09:33 PM

In my opinion there stands a pretty good chance it's the same deer. I believe if you look at the old blood vessels on the anlters they should be very similar if they're from the same deer. This would tell you for sure if the shed is from the same buck. Either way, it's a very nice deer, congratulations!

uphunter15 11-30-2004 10:06 PM

I would say so. The G3 has the same little quirk at the tip and the brow tine just gives it away. If it isn't the same deer he has a twin!!!! Great buck!!!

Antler Eater 11-30-2004 10:16 PM

It is really hard to say. It certainly isn't impossible and if we went by looks alone, it would even seem likely. But looks can be so deceiving when it comes to sheds.

I remember seeing a huge buck that was mounted on the wall of an outfitters. Below it was a collection of sheds. One of the sheds matched the buck on the wall in every way shape and form so I made the comment that the particular matching shed obviously belonged to the buck on the wall. The outfitter looked at me and grinned. Come to find out the shed was from a completely different county and couldn't have come from the mounted buck. Boy did I feel stupid.

Did you save the jaw bone to age your buck? You say that you found the shed 3 years ago? Could we make an educated guess and say that the youngest that buck could have been at that time was around 2 1/2. That would make him 5 1/2 or six years old now. If that shed was from a 3 1/2 year old deer then the deer would be 6 1/2 or 7 years old now. What is the potential for deer in your area antler wise? I know here even if the genetics aren't the best in terms of tine length the horns get really thick, lots of mass on anything over four years old. A deer 5 1/2 to six years old would carry huge mass as would a 6 1/2 or 7. In addition, it is rare that one comes across a deer that age in the wild, albeit, it is not an impossibility. At any rate if you could get a cross section of the tooth done to age the deer it would help in your quest to answer your question.

Also, I am told now that there is a DNA test that can be done to see if it is the same buck. How much money do you want to spend finding out ;). I have a feeling that would be expensive, but then you would have a definitive answer.

To say it is or to say it isn't the shed of your buck would only be a guess.

buckeye 11-30-2004 10:21 PM

antler eater

That is a slightly above average shed from a 1 1/2 year old buck here.

Most 2 1/2 years olds on the farms I hunt go 100 - 120 gross inches usually.

I think this shed buck would have went around 80 - 85 gross inches including spread at 12 inches if the other side was around the same size.

buckeye 11-30-2004 10:25 PM

Yes I found it 3 winters ago.

I no longer have the jaw bone either.

Sorry I missed your questions in my reply.

Antler Eater 11-30-2004 10:28 PM

I see....Nothing is impossible. It could be your bucks shed. Still there is only one way to know for sure. [&:]

I don't know what you guys in Ohio are feeding those deer but you guys are turning out some real monsters! [8D]