Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This should heat it up....... >

This should heat it up.......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This should heat it up.......

Old 12-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: This should heat it up.......

but again I feel like the compound levels makes hunting whitetails inherently more challenging yet still provides you with an extremely accurate and deadly weapon.
right, I know what you mean by that. Who can disagree that you can shoot at a deer at 100 yds. away with a rifle and with a bow you can't... My point is that it's more of a personal preference and not so much an elite bowhunters and lazy rifle hunters type of an attitude.

I still think finding the monsters (since that was what the original post was about) is the hardest thing to do. So if you do than I say take it and be proud, regardless of the mans.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:09 AM

As the pot stirs...

My opinion shouldn't matter in that anyway and I certainly wouldn't offer anything but congratulations on any of the kills. I just wouldn't put as much emphasis on the acomplishment in my own mind if it was not a bow kill.
Isn't that being phony? Why bother saying anything at all if it isn't heartfealt and honest?

How about the doe I shot with my in-line last Friday. Came in with five other deer. Milled around for about fifteen minutes trying to figure out what was up with the orange hat in the brush pile, 12 eyes and noses searching, never figured me out in all that time. I slowly raised my muzzloader when she passed behind a tree, just like my bow, centered the crosshairs on her shoulder and then *bang* down. fifteen steps, never even twitched. The other five milled around for another fifteen minutes before I chased them away.

close range...clean kill...not busted by several adult deer at ranges as close as ten yards...admired her beauty...utilized to the fullest (took all meat, sent hide to tanner for gloves, making soap from all of her fat)

Should I be proud or not? Could have drilled her with my bow but hey my muzzleloader was feelin lonely! Don't tell me you are happy for me, your not really you know. Your just saying that.[:'(]

Greg
Old 12-01-2004, 11:10 AM

Then why do you hunt with a rifle?
Old 12-01-2004, 11:24 AM

Me?

I hunt with a rifle because I love it!!

The scope is really cool and increases my range. Yes, I think that is a good thing. It continues my season, which would stop on Saturday until Jan 1. It is a lot of fun. I can hunt more with my dad. I hunt from the ground. (But I do that with the bow too.) I take off work and there are years of traditions. I like the change of venue.

Oh hell I just like it.

With time, I could come up with many more reasons I love to hunt with an inline.

My flint lock shooting friends kills are worth so much more though. Maybe I should go back there again!

Greg
Old 12-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't that being phony? Why bother saying anything at all if it isn't heartfealt and honest?
I don't think so. I usually do have some regard for the accomplishment just not nearly as much as I do with a bow kill. However, the fact that they have done something that they themselves are happy about is in and of itself worthy of congratulations. If you are happy then I am happy for you that doesn't mean I have to hold the accomplishment in great regard. That's like when my wife killed her first deer. It was a yearling do that she killed with a gun. I was very genuinely happy for her but that doesn't mean that I held the deed in great regard. However, I was very happy that she was happy about the kill.

Then why do you hunt with a rifle?
For the most part I don't. I have gun hunted 2 times in five years and both of those times I just carried a shotgun. I almost went ona rifle hunt a couple of weeks back but I backed out and took my bow instead.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

bscofield,

That data isn't on the report that I pulled that info from but I will look through some others and see if I can come up with it.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:40 AM

i cant believe this, after 8 pages of stupidity WE ARE ALL HUNTERS and noones method is better than the next , i dont care if someone shoots a 150 class buck with a bow or a rifle that person accomplished something, and anyone that thinks that killing a deer with bow only is better than a gun hunter needs to climb of that high horse and get a dose of reality.

i am a avid bow hunter but because my wife hunts and as much as she would love to hunt with a bow she cant due to carpel tunnel in both wrists she gun hunts only so by the reasoning here she should stay out of the woods i think not , i enjoy hers and my time in the woods together as well i have 3 friends who never have had any interest in a bow , i wouldnt give up the 2 weeks of gun season with them as well as the 10 days of m/l season. ADAMS not putting you down bud but just using you as an example i wish my dad where still around to go with me during gun season, last year my wifes grandfather 83 at the time wanted to go
hunting 1 more time i was honored he asked me NOT his 2 sons or his 3 grandsons it will be a day i will never forget he enjoyed himself and even though he didnt shoot a deer he had a blast , and now we are on the verge of looseing him as his health has gotten very bad ,
if i ever get a chance at a true trophy buck yeah sure i would hope it would be with bow in hand but if it is during the gun season fine he will still be dead and his head will still be on my wall. but to say that bow hunters are better thats just crap, well nuff said /deadshot aka larry
Old 12-01-2004, 11:43 AM

wow, this topic really did heat it up. IMO Bowhunting is number one enjoyable hunting method for me,there is nothing like have a nice buck or even a doe within 20yrds of me,gives me a rush.But I still enjoy getting out rifle hunting because I go with my father and other family members.but when we rifle hunt we don't drive around we sit in the morning/afternoon/evening and because rifle season is prime rut time we call deer in and usually it is 20below zero celcius and you have to get to bulked up with clothes to even draw a bow back. Also we respet other hunters if we see hunters we avoid disturbing there hunt. On the other side of it I hate the ignorant a$$h0l3s that even if they see you they still disrupt your hunt and I hate the guys that do nothing but drive around chasing deer and jumping out of thier trucks to take a shot that to me is not hunting at all. Also I have no problem with rifle hunters who set up a guy on point and push some bush. anytime I can get out in the bush and hunt doesn't matter if I have a bow,muzzleloader or on occasion if I don't tag out in bow season the odd rifle hunt. Good luck to all hunters and be safe.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:47 AM

So to summarize I think everyone who chimed in believes that

1. a bow kill is more difficult to pull off than a gun kill because of the close proximity necessary to effectively kill it

2. In rank order it would go something like this rifle, shot gun muzzleloader, compound bow, traditional bow, spear, rocks, driving deer off cliffs.(sorry that would be a deer drive wouldn't it)

3. the vast majority, gun hunters, kill the vast majority of the harvested deer in most states annually. Percentages are still outstanding.

4. people on this forum are passionate about their sport and the way they go about it

5. people who don't become proficient with their weapon bring all of us down with their disregard for the sport

What we all should come to realize someday is that every kill deserves respect and admiration for what it meant to the shooter PERIOD. That is what SA sort of said in his last post. And I agree.

I'm not rolling my eyes when I turn to walk away either!

Finally, I think this horse is sufficiently beaten.

Greg
Old 12-01-2004, 11:53 AM

No, that doesn't make you an A**hole Fieldmouse... it's commendable, but I was referring to those that do nothing with the meat... it's rare, but it happens.

Quick Reply: This should heat it up.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.