Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This should heat it up....... >

This should heat it up.......

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This should heat it up.......

Old 11-30-2004, 07:00 PM

Default RE: This should heat it up.......

B

Choose what you want, but dont think of yourself as being superior because you can get deer with a bow. Anything can be a trophy in the eye of the beholder. A smaller 8 pointer that i shot my first year when i was 12 will always be my greatest whitetail trophy, and my dad saw it the same way, so he put it on the wall for me. It wasnt a huge buck, but it was my first deer, and the bigger then anything my dad had ever shot. I bow hunt to extend my season. Rifle season is three short weeks in a place 200 miles from home. I look forward to that hunt all year. Now i got my bow i can look forward to that too. I agree that bow hunting is a lot harder, and when i shoot a doe with my bow i will be more excited then the 6 pointer i shot this year with my rifle. But where i hunt taking a buck is a challenge, with anything. Getting a deer with a gun is awesome, but getting one with a bow is tougher and maybe more exciting. I still dont believe, as far as the deer goes, it matters what you got it with. You got it. Think what you want, but dont go around sayin people who kill deer with a gun are inferior. I bet if you put this topic in the "deerhunting" page, you would get a much differant reply.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Excellent and thought-provoking thread, silentassassin.

In the mind of any thinking person, the bow kill is more difficult than the shotgun or rifle kill. (And yes, for the board hair-splitters, the longbow is more difficult than the compound)

Also the idea that if you gun hunt you are somehow no longer entitled to a "lesser" opinion of gun hunting is nonsense.

I gun hunt for whitetails, but very little. It is almost strictly a social thing. I go because about 16 or 18 of my friends go and we have a ball. Does that somehow mean that I cannot hold bow hunting (for whitetails) in higher esteem?

I dream of drawing the bow on a fine whitetail. I do not dream about firing a volley of three slugs at an animal that some other hunter has spooked my way. It is hunting, yes, but to me it is somehow less "pure."

Thank God this is America and we can do both if we wish. Both are fun, both are fine.

(But real men bow hunt)
vc1111
...my thoughts exactly. Oh yeh, my choice would be c.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:26 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bscofield

Why do so many bowhunters have a stick up their a$$ about rifle hunters...? Sort of in line with what Roost em said. Some bowhunters just think they are "hot stuff" cause they choose the "higher road." Well if you would choose the higher road in reality than you should only shoot a long bow, that you made, with arrows that you made and broadheads that you carved from stone. This holier than thow attitude really sucks.
Is it really hollier from now attitude or knowing if you had a gun you would have had that buck?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

Fieldmouse, i don't really get what you mean. Do you mean that they see deer and get upset because a person with a rifle could have taken it? Perhaps... but so what? Why does that put a gun hunter in a bad light? If doing something the hard way is so dang noble (and not just a preference) than how come the people who look down their noses at gun hunters aren't doing everything the hard way? I just don't see how you can take this train of thought to it's logical conclusion and not end up looking down your nose at yourself anytime you do something in an easier way than what is available.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bscofield

Well if you would choose the higher road in reality than you should only shoot a long bow, that you made, with arrows that you made and broad heads that you carved from stone.
I am going to do this some day. The only problem is here, a broad head that isn't made from metal is illegal. So I'll have to use a normal head!

I already do a little flint napping, and I plan on making a bow in the near future. It sounds like arrows are the tricky part!
Old 12-01-2004, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

So I guess you get a deer every time you go out with a gun, or you only go out with a gun when you can't get one with a bow.
jerseyhunter
No, actually both times were when I went on trips to places where there were stands set up already and I was going to be the odd man and cause the people on the trip more trouble. (having to carry stands in and out etc)

NJ/PAbwhunter
I feel any hunter who legally takes a deer has accomplished something that should not be looked down upon by any other hunter.
So if a guy kills a 200 class buck in a 40 acre enclosure and it's legal, then we should all be obligated to admire his "accomplishment"?

MississippiBoy
Your opinion of choosing a bow over a rifle is great and is obviously going to be supported in this forum, but when you don't honor the animal you hunt, you become part of a bigger problem.
I have a great deal of reveraence for whitetail deer. So much so that I think it degrades the animal to chase them with a gun. Could you point out where I have lead you to believe otherwise?

Just for clarification, it's not a matter of not respecting or admiring the animal it's a matter of not respecting or admiring the accomplishment or lack there of.

bscofield
Why do so many bowhunters have a stick up their a$$ about rifle hunters...? Sort of in line with what Roost em said. Some bowhunters just think they are "hot stuff" cause they choose the "higher road."
I guess we just look at things in different ways. I just think it is too easy to hunt whitetails with a rifle and I wonder why people don't challenge themselves a little more and give the deer a chance.

Why does that put a gun hunter in a bad light?
I didn't say I saw gun hunters in a bad light but rather that I didn't have the same admiration for their accomplishment. There is a tremendous difference between the two. However, there is a stigma that is associated with gun hunting and therefore gun hunters in some areas of the country. Primarily IMO becasue it is so much more "visible". More people are out walking the woods and doing drives and riding the roads, and shooting across roads and more deer are wounded (probably not percentage wise but rahter due to the sheer volume of hunters in the woods). I think all of these things contribute to the phenomenon that you are describing.

If doing something the hard way is so dang noble (and not just a preference) than how come the people who look down their noses at gun hunters aren't doing everything the hard way? I just don't see how you can take this train of thought to it's logical conclusion and not end up looking down your nose at yourself anytime you do something in an easier way than what is available.
It's just a matter of opinion, values, and personal preference. It's nothing personal, just some of our opinions.

Some of you guys say that I shouldn't have the opinion that I will give the accomplishment of killing a 150 class buck with a gun less admiration than I would a 150 class buck that was killed with a bow. However, how many of you that have that opinion think that a 150 class buck shot off of a high fence ranch over a corn pile would be less of an accomplishment than that a buck that was killed say in the "big woods" that was scouted for etc. It's the same thing.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:53 AM

Damn, I swore I wasn't going to come to work and do this today.

We are all hunters. We all love different things about our weapons, our technology, our experiences, and our sport. I think every post here says they would support everyone else if push came to shove. So that should be and always be the bottom line.

These threads do make you think though! So, if that was the intent, nice job!

That said...I went to the archives and here you go...

This post-

I will be perfectly honest that when I am talking to someone about someone killing a big deer and they tell me they shot it with a gun. In my own mind I am thinking well that doesn't even count or that's no accomplishment. That's just how I feel about. I don't care if a guy has five 190 class bucks on the wall, if he didn't kill them with a bow, then I don't admire, respect, or look up to his accomplishment. I do occaisionally gun hunt and it goes the same for me when I kill one with a gun. I don't feel like I did anything and like adams mentioned I literally feel "dirty" about it.
Is in direct contrast to this post-

However, I get personal satisfaction from knowing that I am setup with the equipment that I am most proficient with and that gives me the best chance of cleanly harvesting any animal that I choose to take. We're all different. If everyone took satisfaction from the same things not only would this world be a boring place but we wouldn't be able to hunt without a person in every other tree, because all 280 million Americans would all be bowhunting etc. I personally don't care what anybody hunts with (including a crossbow) and I have trouble understanding how others feel like they have the right to judge another individuals actions so long as they are legal and ethical.
This post-

Well that's absolutely part of it. I spend 99% of my time hunting with a bow because I think gun hunting is too easy and doesn't deserve the respect that bowhunting does so naturally when I kill one with a gun I feel like I shouldn't have done it that way and that I was cheating.
Contadicts this one-

It seems like that I have said that about 18 times but it certainly didn't hurt to say it again A little understanding goes a long way. People just don't realize what a negative impact they have on their own message when they try to force feed it down peoples throats on every other thread. I don't open the kind of threads that I think will turn into the "well you should really be doing it my way" threads much any more.
and it contradicts this one-

I just don't see why it makes you any difference if someone kills one at 6 or 60 so long as it doesn't affect you. I don't understand why someone would want to impose their standards on another or pass judgement on them.
and this one-

Crossbow hunters don't want to see an elitist attitude from compound hunters anymore than compound hunters want to see an elitist attitude from trads.
And gun hunters don't want to see an elitist attitude from bowhunters.

Again I say, we hang together or we will hang individually.

Greg

PS - I'm going to hide now!
Old 12-01-2004, 07:14 AM

Since I'm a bow-only deer hunter, gun kills do not turn me on. Even a bow-kill does not impress me if it's a deer ranch and a "hunter" was held by the hand and put on stand X. But I'm not condemning others hunting methods. To each his/her own if it's legal. It's just that I'm not as impressed.

What impresses me is someones ability to scout, read sign, hunt, and put meat (doe, BB, basket rack, or bigboy) on the table with a bow. That's what hunting is all about. Period.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Wow! Nice thread (and interesting).

You're talking about taking an animal by two different means...so in my opinion, it's basically two different sports. Yes, they're both deer hunting, and both difficult...but obviously one is much harder than the other.

I love bowhunting and definitley put much more time (and $$) into it...but I also love the firearm seasons here in IL as well. My family gets together and has an absolute blast! And we've been doing this for quite a long time.

I basically embrace both seasons and certainly don't condemn anyone for taking an animal with a gun...hell, I do it myself.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

quote:

I will be perfectly honest that when I am talking to someone about someone killing a big deer and they tell me they shot it with a gun. In my own mind I am thinking well that doesn't even count or that's no accomplishment. That's just how I feel about. I don't care if a guy has five 190 class bucks on the wall, if he didn't kill them with a bow, then I don't admire, respect, or look up to his accomplishment. I do occaisionally gun hunt and it goes the same for me when I kill one with a gun. I don't feel like I did anything and like adams mentioned I literally feel "dirty" about it.

Is in direct contrast to this post-

quote:

However, I get personal satisfaction from knowing that I am setup with the equipment that I am most proficient with and that gives me the best chance of cleanly harvesting any animal that I choose to take. We're all different. If everyone took satisfaction from the same things not only would this world be a boring place but we wouldn't be able to hunt without a person in every other tree, because all 280 million Americans would all be bowhunting etc. I personally don't care what anybody hunts with (including a crossbow) and I have trouble understanding how others feel like they have the right to judge another individuals actions so long as they are legal and ethical.
Let me start here and work my way down. I am not judging anyone. I assume that is what your reference was with this post. I have opinions about particulars aspects of hunting as does every other member of this forum. I am merely expressing those opinions.

This post-

quote:

Well that's absolutely part of it. I spend 99% of my time hunting with a bow because I think gun hunting is too easy and doesn't deserve the respect that bowhunting does so naturally when I kill one with a gun I feel like I shouldn't have done it that way and that I was cheating.

Contadicts this one-

quote:

It seems like that I have said that about 18 times but it certainly didn't hurt to say it again A little understanding goes a long way. People just don't realize what a negative impact they have on their own message when they try to force feed it down peoples throats on every other thread. I don't open the kind of threads that I think will turn into the "well you should really be doing it my way" threads much any more.
I use to argue to the contrary but I have now changed my opinion and believe that we should be able to disagree and still cooperate with each other. I pointed out this very thing in the "rooting for the deer post. So, really your just pointing out what I have already pointed out. However, I will quote my statement here for you:

I have always supported others right to hunt with whatever method they choose but like some of you I use to think that others should not express feelings to the contrary but I now realize that as intelligent adults we should be able to disagree and still be able to cooperate, communicate, and get along.
__________________________________________________ ____________________
quote:

I just don't see why it makes you any difference if someone kills one at 6 or 60 so long as it doesn't affect you. I don't understand why someone would want to impose their standards on another or pass judgement on them.
I guess I missed the point you were trying to make with this one. I am not trying to tell anyone they shouldn't gun hunt or that they are immoral for gun hunting or anything of the nature. I am merely pointing out how I view each accomplishment and how I have differing levels of esteem for the different accomplishments. I am not saying that killing deer with a gun is unethical which I believe is precisely what that statement was in response to.

Crossbow hunters don't want to see an elitist attitude from compound hunters anymore than compound hunters want to see an elitist attitude from trads.
I admit that as a compound hunter I don't like to see the same attitude, that I have, when it is directed at me by trads however whether I like it or not they have a justified right (I hope ArthurP isn't reading this[:'(][:@]) based on their value system at feeling the way they do just like I am justified at feeling they way that I do based on my value system though I may have argued to the contrary at some point, just for the sake of arguing

Quick Reply: This should heat it up.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.