Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rooting For The Deer >

Rooting For The Deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rooting For The Deer

Old 11-30-2004, 09:42 AM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rooting For The Deer

I'm not out to ban gun hunting. I love guns. But I can't stand the idiots I see truck hunting every year. You've seen them - the ones who do more hunting with their trucks than with anything else. They drive around, hoping to spot a deer. When they do, they pile out and start shooting.

I even saw a group last weekend drop a guy off to post while the suburban circled back and literally drove the outside edge of a shelterbelt hoping to chase something toward the blocker. That's deer hunting??? That's weak, IMO. And if other people don't like that I think it's weak, then too bad. It's 'hunters' who have no problem doing stuff like that that will get things banned, not me 'looking down my nose' at it or supposedly being hypocritical about it. People who are willing to stoop low enough to hunt like that will probably cross the line other places, too.

The percentage of people that hunt from a stand with a firearm around here is probably less than 5%. The majority do the post-and-walk method, which doesn't do it for me, but it's a hell of a lot more respectible than truck hunting.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:28 AM

Unless you are handicapped, shooting out of a vehicle is poaching not hunting. (In most places?) Never, ever confuse the two. They are not the same thing and are not comparable.

Bow hunting and gun hunting ARE hunting and have laws, ethics, and morals surrounding them. Poaching is anything goes. Poaching puts us at risk physically and puts our rights in jeopardy.

Non-hunters call all poachers hunters. They are not. They are theives plain and simple. Hell, look at the press about the guy who slaughtered all those people in MN. He is still referred to as a hunter and I don't believe it is by accident. He is not a hunter, he is a murderer and should reap what he sews.

Non of us like that type of crap and we should all turn in poachers every chance we get. But to label someone a roadhunter, a litterbug, etc because he has a gun in his hand and 250 inches of florescent orange is the same garbage that the antis peddle every chance they get.

eider said it best!

If you don't like that sort of hunting, find something else to do but fight like hell for my right to hunt that way and pat me on the back when I'm successful. I'd do the same for you.

Greg
Old 11-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I must admit that I root for the deer
You keep rootin for the deer and and you might get your wish. They will win and you'll have no license on your back.[] Or maybe this is your final 44th peta post and now your in. Beware of Big Brother.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you are handicapped, shooting out of a vehicle is poaching not hunting. (In most places?) Never, ever confuse the two. They are not the same thing and are not comparable
Isn't that just your opinion? Because that is exactly what I would call it. IMO hunting out of a vehicle that is parked is absolutely no different than hunting out of a box blind.

Bow hunting and gun hunting ARE hunting and have laws, ethics, and morals surrounding them. Poaching is anything goes.
Again this is your opinion of what hunting is and isn't. Surely you would agree that the true essence of hunting is different for all of us and you don't get to define that for all of us.
Poaching puts us at risk physically and puts our rights in jeopardy.
I agree.

You guys that are saying we shouldn't have a contrary opinion; do you think dogs, crossbows, and bait should be legal? (Please answer back in the forume with your response) Because if not then you are driving a wedge between hunters. I personally don't like gun season, don't like drives, don't like running dogs, and I don't like bait. HOWEVER, I am not going to try to force my opinion down anyones throat and I support everyones right to hunt in the way that they prefer. I would be the first one there to fight for any hunters right to do any of the things listed. Not because of my personal preferences but because I realize that I don't have the right to decide for others and I also realize that if we give an inch they will take a mile. I still have my own preferences and likes and dislikes and I will express them at my will. If my opinion, when expressed reasonably and rationaly with no malice, drives a wedge between hunters then hunters in general need to get a grip and regroup. It's time we learn to debate our points instead of getting mad, taking things personal, and sulking. I have been on the other side of this argument in the past but my way of thinking has changed on the subject. I have always supported others right to hunt with whatever method they choose but like some of you I use to think that others should not express feelings to the contrary but I now realize that as intelligent adults we should be able to disagree and still be able to cooperate, communicate, and get along. I think gun hunting is too easy and not personally rewarding but I will welcome gun hunters into my camp with open arms, I just don't choose to do it very often. I don't like what running dogs does to the deer hunting, but half of my family does it and I hope they are allowed to do it for as long as there are deer left in Mississippi. Just becasue we disagree doesn't mean we have intollerance. It merely means that we have a different set of beliefs and values. So maybe you guys that are saying that those of us with differing opinions than your's, are driving the wedge, better re-examine your own views.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:04 PM

Silent assassin, I couldn't agree more with what you say. No wedgies here.

In reference to hunting out of a box blind = truck blind, here it is illegal and expressly written in our game laws to hunt from a vehicle or to drive deer with a vehicle of any kind is agin the law. So although no different than a box blind, it is against our law and since it is illegal and against the laws, in NJ my home state, it is not hunting. My point is don't call illegal activities hunting they are not.. So, no it is not my opinion.

I've seen hunting from trucks on videos so assume that hunting from the back of a pick up truck is legal someplace, So there in that state...have at it guys! Not my cup of tea.

Everything else, I agree with you.

Live and let live.

Greg
Old 11-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

>turkey wipes the sweat from his brow> boy its getting hot in here! shew![&o]
Old 11-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Time for my Opinion. You guys sound like a bunch of old women . Come on I like to hunt be it bow, gun, stick if they sold rock chucking tags sign me up. I just like to be in the woods I dont care what wepon Iam using.

For you guys that our set in your ways that one wepon is the only way . Guess what ? I GET TO HUNT MORE THAN YOU !!!