Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rooting For The Deer >

Rooting For The Deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rooting For The Deer

Old 11-30-2004, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rooting For The Deer

Blodg,

I agree with you 100%. It 's your right to voice your opinion on this forum just like it is everyone elses. I also hate gun season. I realize everyone out there has a right to hunt in their own particular fashion and I support their right to do so. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. Several guys are trying to come on here and bash you for not giving your blanket support to all hunting methods but that is Bull $hit. Half the guys saying that are probably the same ones that don't support the use of crossbows etc. etc. Again, I support peoples right to gun hunt and even to hunt high fenced preserves but don't try to come here and tell me that I have to like it as a method and that I don't have a right to voice an opinion on the subject........
Old 11-30-2004, 07:21 AM

kevin1, why don't you elaborate if you have a point or something constructive to add? Telling me to grow up implies that I am not the immature one. If you don't agree why don't you explain the sportsmanship behind a deer drive?

My post would only make a gun hunter more interested in trying archery, not less. As I stated above, pursuing a whitetail on his own terms has to be much more gratifying than shooting a deer that was scared over to you.

I did not intend for this to be an argument and some of you enlightened me that this could be considered negative for the sport of hunting. I was sharing my opinion and this week 200,000 deer will be killed in Ohio whether I root for the deer or not. Just like in sports, I tend to cheer for the underdog........
Old 11-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Excellent thread and most revealing of a herd mentality.

Can we talk?

The author of the thread is a thinker and admits his bias right up front but for most on this thread that is not enough, he must bow down to the Gods Of Hunting...unconditionally.

What nonsense.

I also bow hunted Sunday evening as a last chance sort of thing before the masses descend upon the lands with orange and scopes and slugs and drives.

Stay with me here...if you can.

The bow hunter says, "That's not hunting in my mind." And he has every right to say that because he is simply expressing a "feelings" about a diversion that intrigues him...just as you are when you condemn him for less than unconditional support of your version of hunting...and then go on to liken him to some jerk from PETA (very deep stuff).

The bow hunter says guns make it too easy...
The spear hunter says bows make it too easy...
The knife hunter says spears make it too easy...
The hunter with nothing more than a rock...looks at the "rock" thrown by a gun and says, "Now thats how to hit 'em with a rock."

The point is that no matter who you are and how "open-minded" you think you are, you find yourself on that chain of "progress" in one way or another...and you have an opinion about all of it...and you are entitled to that opinion...because you are human, if for no other reason.

No, perhaps you are not "elite" because of your choice of weapon, yet some weapons clearly represent more challenge, a higher degree of difficulty than others. How could any thinking person deny that?

Yet, somehow at the end of the day, hunting is like fishing...if you're legally doing it and having fun, you're doing it right.

Having said that:

Gun hunting sucks. Its for woosie boys that cannot stand the adrenaline that is inherent in a 20 yard kill with a primitive weapon...

...like a well-hurled stone.

And if you might happen to be curious about how I "feel" about the subject...(and I am reasonably certain that most are so close-minded about how hunting should be/can be performed "properly," that their feelings will not allow for such curiosity)...I feel the same way as silentassassin and the author of this thread.

Countless feelings produce countless questions, endless debate.

Example:

If you can kill a doe for the meat, because the tags are readily available in your area, why would a well-informed experienced hunter choose to kill a raggedy young fork instead? Wouldn't logic dictate that you'd let them walk and take a doe for the meat? Yet yearly, on the first day of gun season across this nation, countless forks and other less-than-mature bucks go down.

And on and on it goes...
Old 11-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Well said vc1111. I also cringe during the gun season.

I just wrote a letter to try to get MN to enforce some QDM!
Old 11-30-2004, 08:10 AM

Yet yearly, on the first day of gun season across this nation, countless forks and other less-than-mature bucks go down.
same thing can be said of bowhunting season. i've known many bowhunters who will shoot anything that comes their way.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

The more we stress killing just the big racked deer the more we will loose support from the non-hunting public.

After the shooting of the hunters in Wisconsin I spent some time on non -hunting boards and couldn't believe what many people think.All we care about is the rack and nothing else but the kill matters.

If a guy sits quietly and waits for a deer to come I can somewhat understand.
Many feel this is the act of a coward, read that too many times in the last week.

But I fail to see the sportsmanship when a group of guys get together and "drive" or push the deer through a woodlot to some other guys waiting at the other end.
Many see absolutely nothing sporting about hunting.

Go ahead and root for the deer. I've read so many posts in the last week were people are actually happy that hunters were killed and how heartless,and backwards we are,that I'm not shocked.

You think bowhunting is so much better then gunhunting, I hope you realize that HSUS and fund for animals are merging with one big goal to ban bow-hunting. You know the wounding rates and it's inhumane.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:45 AM

blodg, I know you didn't mean to bash anyone. And your point is well taken, that you root for those deer that you yourself are after. I do the same thing. But as these threads often do, it doesn’t take long for bashing to begin.

I root for the deer too. I root and cheer for them while they cross the neighbors property ("Keep coming baby"), pass the guy sleeping in the tree house ("Quiet now, Stay Low"), skirt around the corn feeder in the cedar field ("Com' on, keep coming"), jump the barbed wire fence ("careful"), and walk within fifty yards of my Remington 870. ("Stop... right...there...hold") My final cheer is when he hits the ground. ("YES!")

Root for the hunter!

Toward hammering other hunters, I would say this...

If you go to the deer hunting boards, they say we bowhunters "poke and hope. " We wound too many and we kill too many of their bucks. (In fact, the gun hunter may root for the deer all during bow season thus the point of this thread) Then here, deer drives, rifle slugs, and semi-automatic rifles are lambasted. Christ, if there were a slingshot board, they would say that you traditional guys are high tech. Paper clips and rubber bands anyone? Why don’t we just count coup? I could have killed that buck therefore I am superior and I am better because Billy Bob actually killed his. What a freaking loser.

I love bowhunting, I sit quietly in my tree from September until December. I shoot or hold my shot based on my own ethics.

I love the shotgun. I sit quietly in my stand through all of December. I even enjoy deer drives, the deer aren't nearly as predictable as you think. Drives require stealth, self control, and a knowledge of escape routes and deer habits. Just different habits. My heart pounds as I hear a deer approaching and I shake uncontrollably after a kill. What is the difference? From where I sit, the only difference is it is less personal than with the bow. Again it is a difference, there is no inherent superiority.

I love my muzzleloader. I switched to an inline last year. You know, now I'm a killin machine! Right through January and that rounds out my deer hunting year.

Other than that, it is all very enjoyable. So again I say, what is the difference? In the end, my emotions are the same or similar and the bottom line is I am using a tool someone invented to kill a deer. The path I choose and the decisions I make in the woods are mine. Sorry others don’t like it or agree with it or don’t think it is as fine a method of killing as theirs is but I really do love it.

There are slobs who bowhunt, gun hunt, hike, fish, and bird watch. Every bowhunter cannot be painted with the same brush and the same holds true for the gun hunters. All inconsiderate and unethical behavior, like littering and defacing the woods is totally unacceptable and I say that that is what sucks. You kill deer and I kill deer, I pray over every one. Do you? No...Then am I better because I revere what I have just killed(?)

I suggest all hunters who want to hammer other hunters should instead give them honest congratulations! Tell them nice deer. Find out if it got their heart pumping. Wonder if it was the big one you saw near their property in September while you were looking for deer with your kids. And think about how you can get a picture of "Mr. Hatrack" and yourself in the sporting goods store next season.

To each his own. We can all hang together or we will surely all hang alone.

Greg
Old 11-30-2004, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

There are slobs who bowhunt, gun hunt, hike, fish, and bird watch. Every bowhunter cannot be painted with the same brush and the same holds true for the gun hunters. All inconsiderate and unethical behavior, like littering and defacing the woods is totally unacceptable and I say that that is what sucks. You kill deer and I kill deer, I pray over every one. Do you? No...Then am I better because I revere what I have just killed(?)

I suggest all hunters who want to hammer other hunters should instead give them honest congratulations! Tell them nice deer. Find out if it got their heart pumping. Wonder if it was the big one you saw near their property in September while you were looking for deer with your kids. And think about how you can get a picture of "Mr. Hatrack" and yourself in the sporting goods store next season.

To each his own. We can all hang together or we will surely all hang alone.
Very well said.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:03 AM

I have only read the 1st page of post but I am w/ you Blodg I like you understand we need gun hunting to keep the herd in check I just hate having to deal w/ these nonhunting idiot. This year I saw deer every trip to my small but nice lease. Lots of small bucks and does as well as a few nice ones. Gun season opened last weekend and on Monday morning I only saw 2 doe all week. On the Friday before season another hunter on our lease was bowhuning and heard deer blowing up wind of him, huh, weird he thought. The same thing happend to me on Monday, then on Wednesday, BAM!!! not 75 yards from one of our leasers. He thought it was me but it wasn't, then Sunday We heard another shot, long story short we caught them. They had put corn out and everything. Never mind the posted signs and all, no orange or anything. Absolute idiots. They were a half a mile from they propery they were suppose to be hunting. Well we turned them in and they got a couple of tickets but our land is contaminated and ruined for the next couple of weeks. There is no telling how much walking around they did back in bedding areas. Man I was pissed. Ya I hate deer drives too. I could understand the last day of season or something but not opening weekend, no way thats hunting. Just my opinion.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:17 AM

Here is what I learned from this year's Bear referendum in Maine. Everyone has a right to express thier opinion, and when they do, they drive the wedge deeper and deeper within the hunting community. As a result, the anti hunters have an easier job of divideing and conquering. I was appalied and sadden this past year in Maine when so many hunters voted to ban bear hunting over bait, with dogs and trapping here in Maine. They reasoned that it wasn't sportman like. They didn't think it would lead to further hunting rights being taken away. The good news is that we defeated the referendum. I once had a lot of opionions about methods of hunting, typs of weapons and other hunting related stuff. Having just spent a fair amount of time working to deafeat the Bear referendum I can tell I now have only one opinion to share. How you hunt, and what you hunt with as long as it is legal is just fine with me. I support all typs of hunting, and if thier are methods or weapons I don't nessasarily like I simply don't particiapte. To each his own. The original poster may want to read the latest release from the US Sportsman alliance about the merger of the Humane Society of the US and the Friends of Animals. They now have a 95 million dollars a year anti hunting group. They have recently said they will focus first on banning bow hunting. Why, for exactly the reason we have in this thread. They know that many bow hunters and gun hunters are divided against each others sport and they think it is an easy target. Re-read this entire thread, it speaks for it's self. Please don't speak against other forms of hunting, and more importantly, bring someone new to the sport, our future depends on it.

Quick Reply: Rooting For The Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.