HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Turbonocks... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/80781-turbonocks.html)

corey006 11-29-2004 11:46 AM

Turbonocks...

I am thinking of trying Turbonocks for hunting but have a concern. I hunt Moose and I am wondering if they would hang up on entrance wound and prevent passthrough shots.

Right now I am using feathers and have NO complaints about arrow flight(good out to 50 yards with fisxed blades) but I do not like the feathers catching on shrubs/branches and getting ruffled and having to worry about them getting wet.

Has anyone used them and do you find that they passthrough as easlily as vanes?

HAZCON7 11-29-2004 12:35 PM

RE: Turbonocks...

I haven't hunted with them yet but have played with both sizes of turbo nocks. If you install the nocks without glue then they are supposed to pop off the back of the arrow if they run in to resistance on the way through the animal. Again, I haven't experienced this first hand.

corey006 11-30-2004 09:32 AM

NOBODY else here uses Turbonocks??

NickSnook 12-02-2005 09:47 AM

Wht you will find with the TURBOS is that usually they will pop off when you shoot big game and make an excellent marker for tracking. If you glue them in with a glue such as bohning fletch tite glue , they will be secure in the shaft and still pop off/

Something new turbo shooters will find is that the very high rpms the twisted nock delivers changes how the broadheads cut.
You get a round entrance wound rather than a slice and the entrance wound will be the diameter of your broadhead. With a muzzy broadhead you get a hole that looks like a 12guage slug hit the animal/

A little common sense here. We have been programed to think that a pass through is necessary for a good kill and bleed out.
A conventional fletched arrow only gets an arrow spinning around 400 rpm once it has traveled about 20yds. Usually this makes a slicing entrance wound that will close and not bleed much and we hope for the pass through to allow another hole for bleeding.
The turbo arrow will make a hole larger than the diameter of the shaft that allows for good bleed outs even if you do not get a pass through.
This may possibly increase the odds of a quick kill even if your arrow does not quite hit the mark.
I am attaching a photo of a deer (his first Kill at age 13) Jessie thought he had aimed at the heart of this doe at 25 yds. what ever happened He hit the deer high in the neck and the arrow penetrated and then backed out.
The massive entrance wound left an immediate blood trail and the deer was easily tracked. It ran about 35 yds and dropped from massive bleeding. ( I am not condoning taking or making high risk shots, but this deer would probably been lost with a conventional slicing wound)
I will post another photo of a recent kill by two time world champ with the turbo t-4.

NickSnook 12-02-2005 09:51 AM

This deer was taken by Randy Oitker last week and at 40 yds the 240 lb deer ran about 30 before bleeding out. This shot was a pass through, heart lungs.

NickSnook 12-02-2005 09:55 AM

One more for good luck. This caribou was taken by Mike Corrigan who is an out door writer and writes for Fastest bows .com as well as other publications.
I do not know the specifics of the kill , but it did not get away.

NickSnook 12-02-2005 10:05 AM

What the heck ! If you have concerns about big game and the TURBO here is a P&Y Black bear 512 lbs shoot through. ran 40 yds and bled out taken by Greg Hops (board of directors member on the Sportsman channel)
This one we have on video and it was shown on the sportsman channel.
The arrow went throug the bear, the nock popped off and the arrow with a muzzy broadhead buried itself in the ground about 4 inches.
There was a massive blood trail right where the shot happened.
Usually on bears this size the large amount of fat under their skin causes little bleeding. They found this bear about 2 minutes after starting the track.

NickSnook 12-02-2005 10:11 AM

I do not have any Moose kill photos , here is something similar.
THis Kudu was taken with a spitfire mechanical and a TURBO DEADX
It took the shot and walked a few yards and went back to grazing. and expired. this was taken by Terry Whitford.

JaySee 12-02-2005 12:14 PM

I have a question...

Do you use turbonocks with feathers or vanes or instead of them??

NickSnook 12-02-2005 02:02 PM

The original turbo nocks - DEADX HUNTER HTX AND HTAX do not need feathers or vanes but require a fallaway rest or a whisker biscuit
the new T-4 works with feathers and vanes
check out our website at www.turbonock.com