Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Outdoor shows in general >

Outdoor shows in general

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Outdoor shows in general

Old 11-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Outdoor shows in general

I think you have to be really on your guard with all these outdoor shows. I believe all have some legitimate points to them as far as advice goes, but the marketing aspect is suspect.

When these "pros" catch a big bass or shoot a big buck; you have to take some things into consideration. That big bass took DAYS to catch. That big buck is not only fenced in but possibly killed by other means or people and put on the ground right after you see the guy shoot "it".

How do I know this? Well, a friend of mine has hosted outdoor shows on his land and has had some pros we all know by name up there to hunt (and fish.) Believe me; they pulled all the stops out to make it look like they killed a trophy buck. They went out, spotted a buck, used whatever grunt call, and whatever scent, and then finally lured one in to get a shot.

Of course a minute later you see the dead deer laying there and the "pro" celebrating another trophy buck kill. Let me tell you, this guy didn't shoot any deer. They didn’t even listen to my buddy who gave him advice on how to set up on his land. I could go into further detail on what lengths they went to have this buck appear as shot by the pro, but it's not necessary.

They do the same thing with the fishing shows, believe me, and they laugh all the way to the bank. Just a memo to give you perspective on these outdoor shows.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Outdoor shows in general

As much as I love watching some of these shows, I certainly have to agree w/ most of what you said. You just hear too many stories from credible outdoorsman for some of these "pros" not to practice unethical means to take their animal.

For instance, two years ago, our hunting group was questioned by game wardens (and other IDNR officials), checking for firearms (mainly rifles) because some local outfitters were housing "film-makers"/hunting pros, etc. This took place in Brown/Adams counties in West Central IL.

A) it was bow season only
B) can't hunt deer w/ rifles

Not to condemn all hunting shows, but sometimes you have to use a little common sense on these. Especially those that list every single product they "used" to take their animal.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:49 PM

I dont care. Its sounds like your trying your best to nock all hunting shows just to make your self feel better. Besides I would rather turn the T.V on and see a hunting show rather then an info commercial for the Food Saver.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

What TXhighrack said goes for me to![8D]
Old 11-24-2004, 08:46 PM

It's all about the money,and ratings.But i have to agree with TXhighrack,i'd rather watch a hunting show instead of thirty minutes of a senseless infomercial or talk show
Old 11-24-2004, 08:58 PM

I have to agree with chaz! I like to watch hunting show's on tv to but you have to read between the line's because if i believed all of the stuff on them show's i would buy me a big camera and get a lot more trophy deer . LOL
Old 11-25-2004, 01:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just like everything else on TV , I pic and choose I have a channel selector
Old 11-25-2004, 04:57 AM

my dad actually got onto a fly fishing show about 30 yrs ago. the celeb athlete couldn't fish for dinner if he had to. they showed my dad's arm casting and catching a nice rainbow and said it was the athlete. they didn't even have the same shirt on.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like alot of them Eastmans, Bowhunter,real tree road trips and a few others.

I don't like Texas trophy hunters(let's go to Samson's ridge again,ok),Spirit of the wild,NAHC, Keith Warren,Jimmy Houston etc.

I'm strating to dislike the"Dream Season"

Many shows are infomercials for products and that's about it. Some of the hosts on these shows I really don't think could go on a peice of land scout it and get a deer. Well maybe the could if they just sat by the feeder or fence long enough.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

I look at most of these outdoor shows as entertainment only because on most of them you can't learn a whole lot from them. I got to watching one yesterday and this guy was in a box stand all comfy and watching several deer out in the food plot. This guy had all his camo stuff on and had his face mask on and my 8 year old grandson asked why he had all that on if he was hunting from a house.

Quick Reply: Outdoor shows in general

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.