Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why I Love Bowhunting!!! >

Why I Love Bowhunting!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why I Love Bowhunting!!!

Old 11-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why I Love Bowhunting!!!

Before I get started I just want to say that I don't mean to offend anyone with this post.

As I sat perched 18 foot in my straight white oak tree Saturday, waiting for a deer to cross to feild in front of me and jump the fence so that he would be in range. I could hear the uncountable muzzle blasts from guys getting ready for the Monday opener of the West Virginia gun season.I couldn't help but wonder how many of these guys had just got thier guns out of the closet and wiped the dust off of them and then went out in the back yard to crack a few shots off just to make sure that the scopes were still on. I realized that that is one of the reasons that I love archery and bowhunting so much. It's a year around sport for me not just the weekend before season.
To me archery is sort of like the martial arts, it's a discipline. To become proficiet with a stick and string you must pratice continuely. Not only that but while I was setting there a nice buck steps into the field and it would have been a chip shot with a gun at 65 yards but I still needed him 30 yards closer for him to be in range. The closeness just keeps me pumped. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against guns or the people that hunt with them I just think of all that the people that gun hunt only are missing by not bowhunting.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:29 AM

Default RE: Why I Love Bowhunting!!!

You are so correct gutshot. I gun hunt less and less each year, mostly for the reasons you just mentioned.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

To me archery is sort of like the martial arts, it's a discipline
It is even more than that, they are both a lifestyle. I also teach Martial Arts and truer words can't be spoken about either.

Repetition is the father of all skill.

Andrew
Old 11-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

So true! Very good post gutshot.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:02 AM

How True!!! I couldn't agree with you more ,and I archery and rifle hunt both. Archery has changed me and my thoughts on rifle season. My family hunts together the first few days of rifle season, it is as big as a christmas get together, otherwise I prefer archery for the reasons you mention above. Good Post!!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I completely agree, I haven't even but a bullet in my .243 the last 2 years. It's all about the the bow n arra
Old 11-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

I agree. There is just something about being perched 20 feet up in a tree camoflauged and silently taking a mature deer who has no idea you are even there. I stopped rifle hunting 2 years ago. Too many people in the woods with guns at one time. Lots of noise!
Old 11-22-2004, 12:16 PM

I love them all. I start every year with three months of bowhunting. Then, I look forward to the early muzzleloader season. Same goal different parameters. Then into shotgun season. Again, different approach to the same activity.

I love bow season for all the same reasons stated. I love the others for the differences, the challenge of a different type of stand set up, and for hunting directly with my dad who doesn't bow hunt. He waits in the truck every night I hunt so he can tell me what is going on in the fields I bowhunt near. I love them all but not equally. If I had to rank them, it would be bow, shotgun, muzzleloader.

Going out with the muzzloader this afternoon. First day of early muzzleloader, doe only in one of my zones. Darn time-change only gives me an hour and fifteen minutes, but it is better than nothing.

Greg

Greg
Old 11-22-2004, 12:25 PM

Very true gutshot. Excellent post my man.
My step father got me into hunting with a gun when I was 11. I never even saw a big deer when I had a gun. SO when I learned of bowhunting I immediately knew it was for me. I am very quiet and still. But best of all, I like to stalk deer after glassing them from my stand. (not that i have been very succesful, I am thoproughly enjoying doing it). I have surpassed what he taught me when I was a child and I love him for giving me the fever. I am at one with the wilderness.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I HATE HATE BOWHUNTING

Quick Reply: Why I Love Bowhunting!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.