Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My first deer ever !!! Woohoo!!!!!! (Pics too!) >

My first deer ever !!! Woohoo!!!!!! (Pics too!)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first deer ever !!! Woohoo!!!!!! (Pics too!)

Old 11-16-2004, 09:48 PM

Default My first deer ever !!! Woohoo!!!!!! (Pics too!)

This morning I shot my first deer ever! I am 18 and this has been my first year deer hunting, and I have just been kind of teaching myself since no one else in my family likes to hunt. I got a PSE Spyder bow a few months back and have been trying to get a deer ever since I missed one on opening day back in Sept., and most of the time I have either seen nothing or seen glimpses of deer but not have them come into shooting range. Even thought it is gun season here in NC now, and I do have a Remington 25_06, the location that I am hunting in is very near houses and I wouldn't feel safe shooting a gun there.

Well, luck was with me this morning.. it was about 35 degrees outside and I got to my stand at 5:30. At 6:40, I heard something coming through the woods. At this point, it was just barely starting to get light enough to see my pins. All of a sudden I could make out the shadow of a deer in the woods, too dark to shoot it at that distance, but it was there. I watched it slowly walk around as it began to get lighter. It looked like a good sized doe. A funny thing happened though.. a house cat was in the woods and it started walking right towards it! I was afraid it was going to spook the deer, but they sniffed noses and the deer didn't mind at all! The cat started walking towards my stand, and the deer followed! Finally it was a mere 10 yards from my stand, and started eating my corn pile. It was in a "quartering-to" position, I wanted it to turn full broadside but it wasn't moving. I went to draw back (and gee doesn't this bow seem extra-hard to pull back this morning??) and came to full draw, and then realized that there was no way I was going to make an accurate shot with the way things were at the moment. My thick face mask was totally over my mouth, making me unable to put the kisser button where it was supposed to be. So I had to let the draw out, adjust things, and draw back again! The deer stuck it's head up and it knew something was wrong.. I was so afraid that it was going to spook at any moment. But I put my 10 yard pin on it and let er rip... When it hit, the deer spun completely around in a circle and headed into the woods. I heard an incredibly loud CRACK which I was sure was my carbon arrow breaking against the side of a tree. After about 15 minutes in the stand, I went to take a look around. I searched for an hour, no blood or sign of anything. I went inside to take a rest, very upset. I called my boyfriend and he convinced me that I must search harder, that the deer WAS out there. So I went and looked again, and lo and behold, there was a big spot of blood. Bright red, bubbly blood! My little 8 year old sister helped me track it, spot by spot, and suddenly there was the deer! It ended up nearly 100 yards from my stand! The shot was a PERFECT placement. Had the deer been broadside, I'm pretty sure it would have been a double-lung passthru. But due to the angle, it went through one lung and down into the stomach a little ways.

I had thought it was a doe, but came to find it was actually a button buck. I feel kind of bad shooting such a young buck, but I couldn't tell! I dragged it home and skinned it out (for a lifesize mount!), and cut up the meat. A button buck will make some good eating.

Well sorry for being so long-winded but I just thought some of you might like to hear about this!! Here's a few pics...

-Amy Ritchie
www.AmysTaxidermy.com

Old 11-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My first deer ever !!! Woohoo!!!!!! (Pics too!)

Congrats on your first bowkill!! Welcome to the board!
Old 11-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

Wow wee
Congrats Amy ,you did yourself proud,pat your boyfriend on the back to for making you go back and look a little harder. Welcome to bow hunting.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:01 PM

Congrats. I had a house cat ruin one of my hunts earlier this year.

Ya never know.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Typical Buck

CONGRATS on your first deer, and welcome to the boards! I think most would agree as well that it's always nice to not only see another lady come into the sport, but also a young person. Did your your little sister enjoy helping you trail? Perhaps you'll have a hunting partner in a couple years.....lol
Old 11-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations! The first one is the sweetest!
Old 11-17-2004, 01:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates on your first deer,And you skin them yourself.WOW are you going to make some guy a good wife someday.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:26 AM

Nice story Amy. Welcome aboard and congrats on your 1st.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the first of many more to come,Ya done good
Old 11-17-2004, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

And don't forget to post some pics of the finished mount!

Quick Reply: My first deer ever !!! Woohoo!!!!!! (Pics too!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.