Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you REALLY care what a buck scores?? >

Do you REALLY care what a buck scores??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you REALLY care what a buck scores??

Old 11-17-2004, 10:02 AM

Default RE: Do you REALLY care what a buck scores??

When everyone is talking about what a deer scored it sometimes takes the best part out of hunting. I try to remember the hunt and how everything went when I remember deer I have taken. Not what the score of the rack, but more of the chase that went into putting you on the path the deer was going to travel, the excitement of watching it close the gap, and the shot you made. I was lucky enough to harvest a nice 10 point buck last year, and I havent had it measured because yea it might go 140 but should I feel dissapointed if it went 130 or less? Anyway I think we are all thinking right and scoring is just a way for us to further measure the great trophies we sometimes get lucky enough to get.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:08 AM

I dont care what it scores as long as its bigger then the last buck i shot then im taking it.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to see young bucks get shot, or young does. I liken it to children that still need the guidance of their parents before they are pushed out into the real world. So I pass on immature deer. Personally I find no satisfaction in shooting a young buck or doe, they are niave and uneducated. I fill my freezer every season with deer and elk. I will only harvest a mature buck, mature doe and mature elk whether it be a cow or bull. I almost feel sorry for the youngsters as I see them making dumb mistakes. I go so far as to spook the crap out of them just so they get educated a tad.

As for antler score, I love big mature bucks that have been educated,. yet I could care less if he scores 125-190 as long as hes 3.5 years or older. ( I used 125 as a starting point since most bucks here that make 3.5 generally gross that ) These mature animals force you to do the little things right. They make you a better bowhunter imo. They don't make the same mistakes on the average that a younger doe or buck makes. At the end of Elk season, I am always happy to harvest a BIG OLE COW elk over a small bull. I see in my neck of the woods a lot of hunters that JUST have to have a bull, no matter how old he is, just to say "I KILLED A BULL" and the same with bucks. "I KILLED A BUCK". Well I would much rather kill a DOE OR COW for the meat than to kill a young buck/bull or young doe/cow. If your a MEAT hunter you don't NEED TO KILL a buck or bull ...The does and cows eat just as well or better. As for young hunters, like my sons coming up, I would encourage them to take any animal they had a good shot on.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:02 PM

It's all about the hunt, the kill, and the memories for me. Score, to me, means nothing. On the other hand i do enjoy guessing at any given deer's gross and i do score my deer merely for, if you don't mind my saying, "sh*ts and giggles." Thats my opinion.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:42 PM

I only care about how many Lbs. of jerky meat I get!!
Old 11-17-2004, 07:43 PM

Score doesn't matter if it did we would never kill a thing.baseball score mean's something not deer hunting
Old 11-17-2004, 08:00 PM

The actual score does not matter to me, but I hunt for the challenge of shooting a mature deer. And there just isn't much of a challenge in shooting a young buck (or doe). I agree with everything Shed33 said in his post.

I won't criticize the guy who shoots the first deer to walk by for the meat, but those types should not criticize those of us who hunt the big ones for the challenge. Waiting for a nice one lets you observe so much more and for me it makes the hunt more enjoyable. I get more satisfaction from letting a decent 2 1/2 year old buck walk than I would from actually shooting a small buck especially when you know 95% of the bowhunters out there would have took a shot at him. Some of you know what I mean and many of you will never understand but that's OK.

Again, I look for a mature deer but the actual score is the last thing I think about when I see him coming torwards me. Now after the kill it is fun to see what certain antler types score and it is fun to guess and see how close you can come. But does that make a 3 1/2 yr old 150 a better accomplishment than a 3 1/2 yr old 125? No.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely!

Although it isn't about "the Book".

I am intrigued by many of the replies. If antler size wasn't important to most hunters, there wouldn't be the high demand for the prime hunting areas that there is in the various parts of the country. Magazine covers would sure look a lot different, and the name Mitch Rompola would only spark a discussion if he was your neighbor or relative.

Having said that, it doesn't matter to me what someone elses preferences are. If a hunting partner shoots a small deer I congratulate him and enjoy "his moment" just the same as I would if it was a "Booner". The fun of course is in the journey not just the destination.

But for me, my mission is to let the string go on a mature buck. I do not need, nor do I seek, validation from anyone else on any buck that I am lucky enough to get. In fact most of the people in my area don't have any idea if I get a good buck or not. I don't show off any of my kills. I obtain what I seek in the magnificent memories and satisfaction that I carry of the encounter with that animal. Memories, not only of that particular animal, but many others that I observe, and interact with, in the course of my pursuit of a mature deer. In that respect my experience is no different than most of the replies to this post, just that in most cases, size usually comes with maturity, therefore yes, I do care what the buck scores.

I am fortunate to live where I do. I am not elbow to elbow competing with seven dozen other hunters for a year and a half old six point. I can afford to be picky. If some of my tags go unfilled, I don't fret.

I didn't always feel this way. Just getting a deer used to be all I needed. But as with many things in life, time changes a person. In part because of where I live, in part because of the time I can spend on stand, number of deer killed, and certainly because I love the challenge mature animals present, my hunting experience has evolved to the point where I get no satisfaction in taking a young animal. Of course a mature animal doesn't automatically equal a 140 + class buck, but the odds are certainly better for an older buck to be a heavier horned animal.

If size equals "score" then yes, I do care what a buck scores. I would be lying if I said no.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:42 AM

Of course I care what it scores, if it's a big one. It 's interesting to know how a large buck compares to others. No one cares what a small buck scores, however, go out and shoot a 220" buck and then tell me you don't care to know it's score. If so, you would be an odd fellow, indeed.

Oh, and if it's big buck, I'm not going to mount the backstraps on my wall, it's going to be the head with antlers.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I coouldnt care less any deer I am fortunate enough to take with my bow is a true trophy to me. And when I stop feeling that way I will also stop hunting them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Do you REALLY care what a buck scores??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.