Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 please hurry,shot a big one, what to expect >

please hurry,shot a big one, what to expect

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

please hurry,shot a big one, what to expect

Old 11-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default please hurry,shot a big one, what to expect

ill keep it short for now, at 5:30 i shot a bruiser buck. I was 15 feet up he was about 27 yrds, quartering away, i hit just behind the shoulder a bit high, not spine high though. is this high lung, what should i expect in terms of time to die and a blood trail. I need to mention he just turnted and walked away, the arrow burried to the fletching. pleas give info
Old 11-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: please hurry,shot a big one, what to expect

what do you have a computer in the tree with you , this was posted 29 minutes after you shot ??????
Old 11-16-2004, 05:02 PM

give him time.....to be safe.............how did he act when he took off...
Old 11-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

bob, just notice the clock on the forum is an hour off, time here is eastern

the deer kind of jumped, trotted off for a few steps then just walked away
Old 11-16-2004, 05:11 PM

Sounds like the NO MANS Zone, which is between the spine and the lungs. And depending on the angle of the quatering away shot, that might have been too close to the shoulder.

But by the sound of the hit, you probably clipped the lungs, 1 at least.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lot is speculation as to exact shot placement, angle etc so it's hard to say what might or might not be hit.....

One things for certain, if you buried to the fletching, unless you shot a moose it's sticking out the far side. That's good especially considering you said the hit was high and your shot angle was fairly flat by being only 15 ft up and the target 30 yards away. (Assuming same level of ground for you and the deer at the shot) A high entry with no exit is not fun for blood trailing......2 holes are better than 1 and I would expect 2 in your case.

How tight to he shoulder the shot actually was on a quartering shot and how hard the angle itself was prior to the shot is critical as to expect a double lung shot and a quick recovery.

If it was me?........I'd wait until tomorrow. It'll be plenty cold enough and the UNCERTAINTY would keep me from persuing.
I'd rather the odds of finding him in the morning at first place he laid down, rather than chance jumping him to the 2nd place that you can't find.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If ya jump you can kiss him goodbye unless you have alot of time on yer hands to do grid searching or a real good trail dog. Good luck on finding him and don't give up.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hard to say, your kind of spotty with the information. Either way keep us posted, and best of luck finding him.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

How long did you watch him before he got out of sight? If you watched him longer than 30 seconds than I would hold off until morning. A deer that is double lunged normally won't last longer than 1/2 a minute. I bet you clipped a lung and maybe hit an artery, who knows, hope you find him, keep us posted.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:10 PM

wvdeerhunter22 first of all I would say that you did the right thing by backing out, and I would definetly wait till morning. Your deer is laying somewhere, I would say from experiece with that type of shot, he wont go further than 250 yds, if you got threw the other side, that is a great thing. Tracking will be easier. However I have seen a few deer hit in that area that just seemed to escape us, mainly because of lack of blood, and also because the arrow never went threw and hit the shoulder on the other side with that shot. I sure hope you can find him, good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: please hurry,shot a big one, what to expect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.