HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Mercy Kill ? Scenario (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/79354-mercy-kill-scenario.html)

shed33 11-16-2004 01:41 PM

Mercy Kill ? Scenario

Your hunting a particular buck (150 class deer or better), you have a buck come in or by your stand that is a nice buck (120's class buck) but you want to pass on him. You notice he's limping really bad and seems hurt. You have 1 deer tag. What do you do?

Bird Hunt Dog 11-16-2004 01:48 PM

RE: Mercy Kill ? Scenario

Thats a tough one. I guess it depends on if I can tell why he's limping (bullet-arrow wound). If I don't think he'll live I think I would take him out.

Cougar Mag 11-16-2004 01:49 PM

Man, thats a tough scenario. If I don't think the limping buck will make it I will put him down. That 120" buck isn't bad at all and odds are the one I am after might not even come into bow range.

About 15 years ago I was watching an old buck that got by on 3 legs. Although I saw him several times that season I could not get in range. When I was here he was there and vice versa. The last time I saw him he was RUNNING across a plowed field on his 3 good legs with the rear left leg just dangling.

John Deer 11-16-2004 01:56 PM

If I thought that the buck was injured badly enough that he might not make it, I'd take him. Reguardless of size.

gutshot 11-16-2004 02:03 PM

Easy for me I've never killed a 120 class buck so limping or not the 120's getting a arrow flung at him.:D

RTA47 11-16-2004 02:10 PM

Pass! If your really serious on the 150c? Wait on the one you want. Just becouse he`s limping does not mean he is going to die? Animals get hurt all the time thats just the way nature is! Don`t use that excuse to settle for something less than what you want (IMO) Although if a 120c buck comes my way he going down!

c j 11-16-2004 02:18 PM

A small (2x3) went by my stand a few weeks into the season with an arrow in his neck. It had obviously not hit the jugular or the spine. I tried to put him down, but he took off before I could draw.

I would rather put him out of his misery and avoid having others see a deer with an arrow wound than wait for a trophy.

cardeer 11-16-2004 02:23 PM

I dont know,got to think about it

rybohunter 11-16-2004 02:25 PM

A deer with a bad leg is no big deal. I have seen many still surviving well on 3 legs. I have one living around my house now for over a year with a bad leg.
a 120 walks by me and it could have 3 legs or 10 legs its getting drilled.

RTA47 11-16-2004 02:38 PM

ORIGINAL: c j

A small (2x3) went by my stand a few weeks into the season with an arrow in his neck. It had obviously not hit the jugular or the spine. I tried to put him down, but he took off before I could draw.

I would rather put him out of his misery and avoid having others see a deer with an arrow wound than wait for a trophy.
So would i - But a deer limping is a big difference than one with an arrow stuck in his neck