Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mercy Kill ? Scenario >

Mercy Kill ? Scenario

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mercy Kill ? Scenario

Old 11-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mercy Kill ? Scenario

I'd use my tag to finish off a badly wounded deer - yes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was in this same scenario about 4 years ago on my fathers property in PA. We practiced QDM, and shot nothing without 8 points or it had to be mature and wider than it's ears. First morning, a 4 point yearling walked by with a front leg blown off from the neighbors property who did not practice QDM. I put him down and ended the season early. I would rather end it early and miss my opp on a larger buck than know there is a wasted deer in the woods rotting......better off in my freezer than rotting in the woods. Just MHO. He tasted good too..........
Old 11-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no doubt believing that any one on here would take an injured animal if he or she believed that the animal was hurt bad enuff that it would not make it! or if one came buy you with an arrow stuck in it or with a bad gun shot wound? But just one limping buy you? Not coused buy hunter or another animal? Just a springed legg? Would it make any differnece if it were a spike? Not a 120c and you only had one buck tag. And he came buy just limping?(IMO) Only the hunter can decide at that time weather the enjury is bad enuff to take it or let it walk?
Old 11-24-2004, 08:15 PM

A freind of mine killed a buck a few years back that had been shot before season and was in very bad shape. He took it to the check station and they called the gamewarden and he came and looked at it and they used a state tag on it and let my buddy keep his tag!!!!!!!!! this happened in Ohio
Old 11-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let nature worry about nature. In other words youre part of nature, If you choose to shoot him or not it doesn,t matter. There is no right or wrong. I would probably jump out of my stand on his back and knife him.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:27 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Judgement call on whether you think it will make it or not. If below the knee, they will make it. We had a doe running the farm I work at. She had lost her leg right at the knee. See raised two very healthy fawns that summer and raised triplets the next summer. She was fat and in good shape during the winter. I shot a buck that had lost a leg right at the knee. He was fat, the wound was very old from the looks of the callous and would have survived a long time should I of passed.

Above the knee especially if shot with rifle, I would shoot it if I was offered a chance. More then likely they won't make it. Infection will likely set in if damaged bad.

Tim
Old 11-25-2004, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I would take a wounded deer.... If it were legal.

A scenario that I ran into about 2 years back, a year into PA's antler restrictions:

A youth hunter (exempt from AR's) took a very marginal shot on a small forkhorn. He shot it right in the butt. The deer came straight to my stand. I could tell it was hurt bad, but was still moving at a pretty good clip. As he quartered away from me, I could see that a large chunk of his hind quarter was blown off. I could have shot the deer illegally and potentially could have been fined.

A little bit later I see the youth and his father tracking the deer. I pointed them in the right direction. The never found the deer though.

At the point that the the deer came by, I did not know there was a youth hunter in the area. I saw an illegal buck that had been shot. I didn't want to put down a deer that somebody just took a crack shot at without seeing that it was illegal to take, so I passed. I didn't want to take the wrap for somebody elses mistake. It was not until after they came by did I have my regrets.

But hey. You can't turn back time.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:12 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

PAHUNTER21

In my state, once you shot a deer...you have taken on all responsibility. If wounded and you finished it off, it better be tagged. They won't issue you another tag. If you see one wounded and you have no tag, you call the warden or walk away to stay legal. You are considered a poacher and will be prosecuted as one should you do the honorable thing to end it's suffering. Right or wrong, I can see why they have such a tough law when reguarding wounded deer.

I won't say what I would do in this situation, nor would I condemn someone who walked away or dealt with the situation. It is a judgement call that is up to the hunter who is faced with the problem at the time.

Tim
Old 11-26-2004, 04:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

SSS
Shoot, Skin, Smoke?
Old 11-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 120" deer is HUGE for our area. It would be down wounded or not. I do think if I was hunitng better land... I would still shoot it. I hate to see animals suffer.