Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PLEASE READ!!!!! >

PLEASE READ!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PLEASE READ!!!!!

Old 11-15-2004, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PLEASE READ!!!!!

probably should wear mine but i dont want to make all the noise putting it on.
I wonder how much noise a wheelchair will make going through the woods or how much noise your family will make crying next to your coffin?Put the thing on at the car.

Very glad you had your harness on.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:56 AM

Hey Shootemup.....I know a few folks on here started getting on you already but I figure if we all chime in you may listen. If you own a harness and don't use it. START USING IT! If you don't own one go and buy one.

This story could have easily been an article in the paper about some poor hunter who never made it home from the woods because he failed to wear his harness. Too many things can happen and Murphy's law aint choosy.

To everyone reading this...WEAR YOUR HARNESS! If you're worried about noise, put it on before you get to your tree (that's what I do) My family and my life come first....deer fall in somewhere way behind.

Be safe all.

P.S.-Thanks Rattlem for sharing your story. Glad you're OK....sure beats the alternative huh?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:07 AM

If you fall out of a tree and there is nobody around, does it make a noise?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh and if anyone needs one and can't afford it let me know I bought a treestand that had one so I'll send it to you.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Last week while on full draw on a doe, my string broke, cable flew around and busted my glasses. knocked me off my stand, but luckly had my harness on. The short fall was painless, but the shock of the incident really freaked me out. In 25 yrs of shooting bow, never had or heard of it happening before. After finding cable/string, I noticed the string had a few strings cut and the rest frayed. I then rememberd I had put a couple broadheads in the case last week and they must have come out of the package and cut several of the strings. WEAR YOUR HARNESS. Taz
Old 11-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rattle,

I am glad you are ok first of all. Second, your experience is a good warning to all of us who have chanced it. I have sat in stands without a harness in the past. Now that I have two sons and a wife to go home too, I am much more careful. I was fortunate in the past that I didn't slip. It could happen to any of us.

Shed
Old 11-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Glad this one turned out ok. When you set your harness take all the slack out of it leaving just enough to sit down, that way it's such a jolt at the end of the line and it will be easier to re-enter your syand. .
Old 11-15-2004, 01:54 PM

I just want this to be emphasized.

When you set your harness take all the slack out of it leaving just enough to sit down, that way it's such a jolt at the end of the line and it will be easier to re-enter your stand.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Hey folks thought I would answer to a few of the questions you've asked. I use a Gorilla full body harness, simular to one I use at work. Apparently it is a good harness, saved my neck. I've got a 210# hanging weight LOL. Yes I keep my laniard short but my butt hit the edge of the stand and that seems to be the place that is the most sore. Needless to say it scares the crap out of ya. I use a hang on stand, ones I build myself all welded structure chained and strapped on. Started building them before you could buy them, oh about 20 years ago. By The way I'm 54 and been hanging out in trees for a long, long time. When my son's started bow hunting about 10 years ago is when I started wearing a harness, modified some from work that were as good as you can buy just dyed them black, we have all up graded to Gorillas. To make a long story short we all have to take care of ourselves, as many have stated for our families, #1. Good luck and take care.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:57 PM

That was a close call,but glad you didn't get hurt.Harnesses are no joke