Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need some advice, waited 15 hours... >

Need some advice, waited 15 hours...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some advice, waited 15 hours...

Old 11-14-2004, 10:03 AM

Default Need some advice, waited 15 hours...

I shot a big buck last night just before sunset. He was in a quartering to position and I got what I feel was a single lung hit. He circled in the field 3 times, stood there for a while and then stumbled into the woods. I waited 30 minutes and got down from my stand to check the arrow and blood. There was no arrow but nice bright red blood.

I called it a night to let him bleed out overnight.

I went back this morning and tracked him with my father. There was blood all over the field. There was a large pool of blood in two spots just off the field in the woods. We followed the clear blood trail for what seemed like 300ish yards. He was circling, doubling back and such. All the while there are drops of blood on the trail and little pools every 50 yards or so.

So we continue following him until we spook him up! Now this is 15 HOURS after the shot! I was shocked that he was still alive. He has lost a ton of blood and stayed in the same spot all night. He didn't bolt like a normal healthy whitetail does, he ran about 50 yards and stood there for a while and then climbed into some thick stuff. We backed our way out at that point. He was not really running either, more gimping with what seemed like a hurt left shoulder?

I was shooting Muzzys if that makes a big difference.

We are going to wait to go back in but I'm scared I might lose this deer. Any advice?

Now I felt I had followed all the "rules" but this one gets me.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Need some advice, waited 15 hours...

I think you may have hit more on the shoulder than lung. It will take awhile and you may not recover him. He's hurt bad if only running 50 yards. I'd check on him this evening, if not, tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:11 AM

Move very slow, constantly glassing in front of you. You made need to take another shot to put him down. Quartering to shots are no good, there is so little room for error. Its been a long debate, some say a single lung hit can recover, I guess we'll see.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:43 PM

I agree--glass after every step, and it wouldn't hurt to get someone in front of him that could possibly push him towards you. This works occasionally, but it has to be "perfect world" situation. Good luck finding him.

God Bless, and Happy Hunting
SL
Old 11-14-2004, 04:37 PM

Well I my buddy who is a very experienced bow hunter and my father to go out again. We started at the point where we last saw him and found the broken off arrow, some blood clots and some more bloody bedding areas.

We were able to track him into the thick stuff where we saw him run off into. Blood was VERY sparse just a drop here and there. We followed him pretty much back to the truck.

In my buddies opinion it did not seem like a mortal wound, the deer was moving through the woods cleanly and heading back to the field where I shot him which is his feeding area.

While we were out there there were 2 guys on 4 wheelers to looking for poachers and stirring up the area something FIERCE. While I am impressed by their mission it could have sent my deer for miles.

As it stands it looks like I blasted his shoulder and once he broke off the arrow and clotted he has started his recovery.

The only other thing I can think off is taking out my hunting dogs (pheasant) my springer has a killer nose but I just don't think he is "down" anywhere at this point.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear that , I had my finger's crossed for you .

nubo
Old 11-14-2004, 05:06 PM

Geoff, i would give the dog a shot. Like you said the guys on the 4 wheelers could have pushed him out. Dogs have an amazing noses, he could lead you right to your buck...