HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   SOP Saved My Arse Today! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/78674-sop-saved-my-arse-today.html)

springgobbler 11-10-2004 05:25 PM

SOP Saved My Arse Today!

What a day!!!

I have not hit a deer too far back in more than 10 years....until today..........a nice sized doe. I watched her for quite awhile from stand hoping she would lay down...then a horny spike came out of the thick stuff and started chasing her....my bad day started.

After watching the spike chase her out of sight, over the hill, I prepared to climb down and find my arrow. Before I knew it, the bottom of my climber skiddered down the tree and hit the ground with a thud...bad day.

I was able to hang by my arms and dig my knife out of my pack, but my right arm (I am right handed) was pinned by my seat, above my head...like a sleeper hold. I managed to get my knife in one had and simply put my faith in my harness to hold me and let go of the top part of my stand, the only way I could cut myself free. I hung precariously and cut my seat, freeing my right arm and allowing myself to grab the tree with one arm and cut the strap with the other.....and then did a mighty fine fireman's slide down the tree.

The top of my stand and my pack are still hanging more than 20 feet up...and unfortunately my deer is still in the woods. My flashlight was in my pack and it was last light and more than 20 miles from the nearest flashlight store....so going back in the morning with high hopes of finding the doe.

Hopefully that spike did not chase her too far....

Bottom line, thanks Seat-of-the-pants.....myself, my wife and my 11 month old daughter thank you....

Please, everyone, wear a harness. If I did not have one today, I may not be sitting here typing right now...watching my daughter play.

Mathewsboy 11-10-2004 05:33 PM

RE: SOP Saved My Arse Today!

WOW...

NHBuck 11-10-2004 05:35 PM

Glad to hear your ok. The pucker factor runs high when the bottom drops out. I had my climber slide a few feet last week. Glad I was coming down the tree anyway. The harness can be a pain but not as much as the pain of hitting the forest floor.

Fieldmouse 11-10-2004 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Mathewsboy

WOW...
Ditto

BowHuntingFool 11-10-2004 05:49 PM

Glad to hear your OK!! Get a piece of rope and tie between platform and seat! I always put a ratchet strap around tree and seat, as well as tree and platform pieces. I feel safer and it only take 2 minutes!:)

akaSharkey 11-10-2004 05:50 PM

Take a piece of rope and tie the two parts of the stand together. My bottom platform can never fall more than a couple feet. Glad to hear your ok.
BowHuntingFool beat me to it

thenuge15 11-10-2004 05:55 PM

I always wear my belt all the way up and down with my climber. I also have the top connected to the bottom.

JimboHunter1 11-10-2004 06:22 PM

Thank God you're okay, SG. I just talked to my brother-in-law on my way home from work and he told me that his neighbor is in critical condition in the intensive care unit because he fell out of his tree stand on Saturday...
EVERYBODY NEEDS TO WHERE THEIR SAFETY HARNESS.
I'm glad you're alright...

justhrowit 11-10-2004 06:40 PM

Great story!!!!!

Fortunately, you are unharmed. You learned two leasons tonight. The obvious one of wearing a harness at all times. TWO....tie the top and bottom of a climer together!!!!!

jay

Ken/WV 11-10-2004 07:05 PM

Hope you tie your stand together tomorrow, and recover your deer. :)

And I hope you get a new S-O-P harness.