Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Size vs character >

Size vs character

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Size vs character

Old 11-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Size vs character

Lots of talk goes on about holding out for nicer deer(where possible, I don't want to turn this into a let em grow thread). I am just wondering if anyone here may toss aside thier pre-determined size restriction to take a buck with an oddity, or uniqueness to its rack??
Old 11-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Size vs character

Um, yup, obviously with my chosen buck this year, I wasn't worried too much about score. He was however not a 1.5 year old so I was still holding to my standards of a more mature deer if you consider a 3.5 year old more mature... Anyway, it would have scored into the 120's had it had it's right side but I was more than pleased with this buck. It's uniqueness is why I considered it. That and it's awesome brow points.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:07 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I believe that the moment you see a buck (or doe, to some) you know if it's a keeper. It doesn't make sense to me why some people almost have to get their rack calculator out to decide it they want it or not. You should hunt because you love it, not for trophies and bragging rights. I am not saying that setting standards is wrong, I set them myself, it's just that I know if the deer standing in front of me is a keeper without it having to "up" my best buck to date.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:20 AM

Personally I like large typicals but have a special place in my heart for a drop tine or two. If I had a decient 6 with a drop tine I'd stick it in a second.

On another note, I hate huge gaudy non typicals. The albia buck would still be walking if I were Tony Lovstein.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

The freakier the better,You can have them pretty deer
Old 11-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

It's not the size of the ship, but the motion of the ocean! However it takes a long, long time to get to England in a row boat.

Oops!...wrong forum.[&o]
Old 11-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Looking for a mature deer (3 1/2 yrs old +), 8 pts and up. Not interested if the rack is busted up because the buck that did it might be bigger. I only shoot younger freak racks to get them out of the breeding population. Haven't had to do that in a while though. I like a big "framed" rack but could care less if it is an 8, 10, or 12 pt.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

I have 2 150" Typicals... I'd really like to see something off the wall, Double Drop Tines on a 25 pointer would be Sweet...
Old 11-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am just wondering if anyone here may toss aside thier pre-determined size restriction to take a buck with an oddity, or uniqueness to its rack??
I can say I have to this one.

Last year for example. I couldn't pass up a drop tine buck even though it was still so early in the season and not exactly what I was looking for in size.

But the thing is if he wouldn't have grown the odd sided rack and would have grown a match to the 5 point side I would have shot him anyways, for he would have most likely went P&Y. So either way I probably would have taken this one.

Now as for would I shoot a young buck with an odd rack, that I wouldn't do.

Also, I wouldn't do it again. Once is enough