Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

finishing shot

Old 11-09-2004, 10:57 AM

Default finishing shot

Anybody ever have to use a second shot to kill a wounded deer? If so were did you shoot it the second time?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:04 AM

Default RE: finishing shot

I can honestly say I've never had to shoot a deer a second time. All it takes is 1 through the boiler room. Should I even encounter a situation where I need a second shot to put down an animal (spine shot for instance) then the second shot should be exactly where I wanted my first arrow to go, the boiler room.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:24 AM

if it don't fall over dead on your first shot keep shooting until it does. all shots should be aimed behind the front shoulder to get the lungs or heart. however, if your shooting cleanup take any opportunity that presents itself.

my brother shot a cow elk earlier this year, double lung passthrough. the elk jumped initially but didn't run off for a couple seconds ...long enough for my brother to knock another arrow. by the time the elk started staggering off he put a second shot in the back of it's head as it was running through the brush...just in case.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:28 AM

You would just aim for the exit you intended for the first time and do it again. My first deer was a spine shot and he dumped where he stood and dragged himself a few feet. I waited maybe 5 min. and climbed down and made a safe circle around him to get the shot I wanted. Turned out he died before while I was fixing to do him in and I didn't need to shoot. Years ago I popped a doe in the neck with a rifle and cut her throat with my knife. Seems to be a stupid thing to do looking back on it but she was suffering too long for me.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

yes, double lungs
Old 11-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Just do the nasty and slice the throat. It's quick and easy. The deer doesn't suffer it has long past the state of shock.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have done both depending on what the situation calls for. I have shot again or knifed them. I had a buck thrashing his head around every time I got close, so I stood 5 - 6 yards away and double lunged him. He expired in less than a minute.

Another time after shooting a deer from the ground, I found the deer down but not out. She was suffering and I thought it was a safe enough situation for me to knife right behind the shoulder. So I did and the deer subsequently expired.

Whatever is conducive to the situation calls for how you should choose that "second shot" I think.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have when I spine them. I don't know why people slit there throats instead of shooting them again. Its not something I would like and I think it would be a little sickening, not to mention messy.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Depends on how wounded it is.If I can walk up to it and get close I usually take out the juggler with the weapon.I have used a knife before,But watch the hooves,Sharp and can really hurt you.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

a friend of mine and i slit ones throat after seeing it get hit by a car... poor thing was suffering i think at leats 1/2 the bones in its left side were shattered. she expired fast after that i think total about 15 seconds... total bleed out in about 7 seconds. quick. painless since she was already in shock shaking vigorously....

anything that puts them down quick and easily i always say.

Quick Reply: finishing shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.