HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   help with rubber boots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/78419-help-rubber-boots.html)

dkeener 11-08-2004 08:07 PM

help with rubber boots

Everyone tells me I need rubber boots (as opposed to my 20 year Sorrell's, which have only a rubber lower section). However when shopping for rubber boots, I notice all seem to smell pretty strongly of rubber. Can't the deer smell this too, and if so, do they care? Are all rubber boots created equal? Thanks for helping a rookie!

moose1915 11-08-2004 08:49 PM

RE: help with rubber boots

i dont like em. they hurt my big fat 12 EEE feet, i can't get em on or off, because my feet swell from lack of support. and if i use scent controll spray, whay arent my rocky bearclaws good enough?.........i'm not sold on the rubber boot deal.
my .02
good luck
moose

ps--the irish setter buck tracker boots (scent controll built it) i tried looked like good quality, were comfy and were easy to get on and off, but i just couldnt justify 'em when my rockies are so darn warm and comfortable

narcoboy 11-08-2004 09:23 PM

I just bought a pair of rubber boots and although it is somewhat difficult to get my feet in, I have noticed a difference already. I have worn a pair of Rocky Buckstalker boots for a year now and have had several deer stop and smell exactly where I have walked and then turn around no matter how much scent killer and fox pee I put on them. Since I have worn the rubber boots I have had deer cross my foot tracks and not even notice I was there. Mine also smell like rubber but the deer didn't seem to mind. By the way, once I do get my feet in the boots they are very comfortable.

youngfart 11-08-2004 11:35 PM

Rubber Boots
Well I have been wearing rubber boots for 3 years now, and it is true , the rubber gives off a smell but the deer don't seem to mind it. I used to wear my regular hunting boots and got scented right away as the animal would cross my path. Proof is that when the deer over the last 3 years have not shyed away once they cross my path now. Here's another secret if you wear scent-loc. According to the new developements at Scent-Loc and trial and errors they have found out that you should pull your scent-loc pants down over the rubber leg of the boot enabeling your scent from your foot to go up the leg into the scent-loc pant allowing it to absorb your scent. Other wise your scent would travel up your leg and escape out your boot into the air. Makes scents to me,give it a try , I do since Elk hunting in September . Good luck all and shoot straight.
Youngfart
Oh yeah , don't forgert that safety strap

BOWFANATIC 11-09-2004 12:06 AM

I never hunt without them. Get a good pair! I found out this year that the Cabelas brand only last 3 years before springing leaks.[&:]

buckhunter14 11-09-2004 04:51 AM

I have rubber boots they go up to just below my knee and I have wore them all hunting season so far. I wear one pair of warm socks under them and they do a great job! Last night it was 37 degrees and I was warm as can be! Good luck!

PABowhntr 11-09-2004 04:57 AM

In most cases the smell dissipates after a short time. Just wear them out a few times while scouting before you actually wear them hunting. I bought a pair of the Lacrosse Alpha Burly Sports and don't remember the smell exisiting much after the first few days that I wore them.

ijimmy 11-09-2004 06:38 AM

My only equipment failure this year , rubber boots . Rocky sent free with 800 grams thinsulate . They sprang a leek in the top above the big toe . They were 1 year old , not old enough . My buddy has had some lacross boots for 5 years and they still have no holes . They do lose that tire smell after awhile , and I think I see more deer when wearing them , as opposed to fabrick , or leather boots .

kevin1 11-09-2004 07:18 AM

Twenty year old Sorrels are bound to have some odor regardless of how well you take care of them , so replacing them isn't a bad idea . Rubber boots ? I hate them ! They make my feet sweat like a hooker in church , and they are no guarantee against leaving scent behind . Think of all the odd smelling things you step on when you're headed in . Anyone who says that they don't transfer smell has never stepped on a dog log . [:'(]

NHBuck 11-09-2004 07:21 AM

I got rubber boots w/800 thinsulate from the wife for Christmas from Cabelas. I wear a 10 to 10.5 so she got the ten. Christmas AM I try them on and boy they fit snug but comfortable. So snug I could not get them off. I was in a chair pulling while the father-in-law was pulling the opposite way and at one point the wife had him by the waist, should have seen it as I am still laughing! Not knowing I took their advice and sent back for an 11. My buddy built a homemade boot puller. Just a 1x8 about 16 inches long with a cut out he traced from his boot and a 4 inch piece of 2x4 screwed to the underside of the board. Put the heel in the notch and stand on the board with the other foot and slides out nice. I should have kept the 10 because now my size 11's are a bit to loose in the heel and I will probably silently replace them with a size 10. Can't hurt the wifes feelings you know. But I still need the boot puller to get them off. He says after about 2 dozen times slideing them off with the puller I won't need it anymore. I've seen deer in the off season walk right across my path.