Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 help with rubber boots >

help with rubber boots

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help with rubber boots

Old 11-09-2004, 07:21 AM

Default RE: help with rubber boots

I just wear lace up Rockies. I dont like rubber boots. They are too big and bulky. I believe A rubber sole is enough. Just dont Fill up with gas with either of them.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like rubber boots are definately the way to go as far as scent detection is concerned.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:38 PM

In the past years I have sprayed my new boots with earth scent eliminator everyday until the rubber smell is toned down and not so strong.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, the scent of the rubber will disappear pretty quickly. I think it was Frank up above who talked about wearing them out while scouting or at other times you're in the woods, and that's a good tip. I also made it a point early on to walk through as much muck and mire as I could while traipsing about. The corn field I cut through on my way to the woods I hunt often has a flooded spot in it, and I make an effort to walk through it every time, even now.

I also leave my boots outside, except when it drops below freezing the night before I'm about to put them on, so they don't absorb any "homey" scents. I also make sure my vehicle is gassed up the night before I leave, so I don't wear them on the concrete at the gas station giving them a chance to absorb any of the station's odors.

As far as results? I've had several, several mature deer cross my inbound trail and never showed any alarm, including the 160+-class 12-pointer in my sig pic below.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

ROCKY ( Buckstalkers ) very nice warm boot
Old 11-10-2004, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Just about everywhere I hunt there is a stream(s) that I need to cross, I think it's quieter and safer just to walk through than try to dance from rock to rock.

I bought a pair of Alpha Burly Sports to replace my 8year old Burly boots that had seen better days. The new boots are much lighter it's almost like wearing sneakers They go on and come off easily. Until someone invents a waterproof material that "breathes" as fast as I can sweat I'll keep wearing them Just be careful if you mail order them, I found they run small. I usually wear a size 12, my new boots are size 13

UR
Old 11-10-2004, 07:56 AM

Try a pair of Muck boots. Very comfortable and easy on and off.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Won't hunt without them. To get the rubber stink minimized I leave mine on my deck 24/7. They do retain mositure but that can be reduced by taking them off for 5 minutes once you are in your stand. It really isn't a sweat issue as much as it is condensation. Let the moisture out and your feet will stay much warmer. A pair of felt foot pads help with warmth too.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]