HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Anyone Have Mid-day Succes? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/78387-anyone-have-mid-day-succes.html)

jhalfhill 11-08-2004 03:38 PM

Anyone Have Mid-day Succes?

Have any of you killed a buck from stand in the middle of the day? Here in PA the really big bucks are mostly nocturnal, but then I got thinking how a deer probably wouldn't move just from 9pm to 5am and lay down the rest of the day. I'm beginning to think the big boys make their rounds from 10-2. Anyone had any luck during this time of day? Only in rut or anytime?

cardeer 11-08-2004 03:47 PM

RE: Anyone Have Mid-day Succes?

No never in 44 years,but I have shot doe in the middle of the day. And After that record I still keep trying

rybohunter 11-08-2004 05:38 PM

I've never shot one middle of the day but have seen them moving about fairly often its been during the rut.

Ken/WV 11-08-2004 06:15 PM

I've never gotten the chance to kill one in the middle of the day. But I have seen several good buck's moving at mid day.

thenuge15 11-08-2004 06:43 PM

My grandpa said that he killed a majority of his bucks at about noon. I know another guy who kills his buck every year at either 10 or 2. I've never sat out all day but plan on doing it this year.

Eider 11-09-2004 09:48 AM

When the moon is full I feel the most productive time to hunt is from 10 - 2. The deer tend to feed at night and bed in the morning, but when the temps drop in November they need to eat and start to browse mid day. The majority of deer I've shot with a gun have been between 10 and 2. Our bow season is in October and I usally hunt mornings and nights, and use the rest of the day to bird hunt with my dogs. Also, at around 10 a lot of hunters are heading out of the woods to get a snack or a cup of coffee, they tend to move the deer around a bit, at least that's what I've found where I hunt.

kansaswiderack 11-09-2004 10:19 AM

I generally wear out about 11 and go to lunch and a short nap. Back about 2 during the rut, and every year we see good bucks working the distant hillsides while we are in the truck. Saturday was no different. At 12:30 I watched a good buck working the edge of some timber while I sat in the truck. The good news is my buck was cooling out down in the creek. Every year I promise myself that I will stay out all day but I just don't seem to have the indurance for it. I also have seen quite a number of deer out moving mid day during the summer while I am out driving. I do believe there are deer to be had all day, its just hard to stay with it for that long at any one time.

benhuntin 11-09-2004 10:43 AM

I have killed many deer between 11 and 2. Mostly during the rut.
I caught one buck twice last year on my game camera coming through my area at 10:50am and 11:55 am. I never did get a shot at him.

Shoulder Shot 11-09-2004 01:39 PM

I havent but i talked to my brother-in-law who is in IL this week bowhunting. He said a guy hunting near them killed a B&C yesterday at 11:00 am. Dont know any facts though(score).