HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Does gore-Tex need to be waterproofed?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/78361-does-gore-tex-need-waterproofed.html)

MNpurple 11-08-2004 12:15 PM

Does gore-Tex need to be waterproofed??

I bought a pair of Danner boots this spring, gore-tex, 400 grams thinsulate.........and my feet get soaked. Its rained here quiet a bit lately and my walks in the morning are through alfala fields which because of the rain are very very wet and muddy. By the time I get to my stand, my feet and inside of my boots are soaked, and its not sweat.

Does Gore-Tex need to be treated with a spray on waterproofer occasionally? I could see needing to after a few years, but after 8 months?

In my opinion, for what I paid for these boots, their performance is unexceptable.

Charlie P 11-08-2004 12:21 PM

RE: Does gore-Tex need to be waterproofed??

You shouldn't have to do anything to gore tex. It's a membrane that allows moisture out but not in. I'd be talking with Danner about getting the boots replaced.

BobCo19-65 11-08-2004 12:21 PM

I'd send those things back. I bet you get some new one's. Danner's have a very high reputation.

justhunt 11-08-2004 02:12 PM

My experience has been, if it's not rubber, it's not waterproof...not for very long anyway.

Mike from Texas 11-08-2004 08:45 PM

Gore Tex is absolutely waterproof. Are you sure they are Gore Tex? Not many Danner boots have Gore Tex in them. I have more Gore Tex stuff that you can imagine and I have never been wet in 15 years of using it.

MO_Bowhnter 11-08-2004 09:26 PM

Rubber boots are the only way to go...IMO

adams 11-09-2004 09:58 AM

I don't have any experience with gore-tex boots but 90% of my mountaineering gear is gore-tex. Charlie P is correct about goretex being a membrane and it's 100% waterproof unless you tear it. Most of my outer shell garmets have a nylon layer outside of the goretex which dose require a waterproof treatment virtually every year but it has nothing to do with the waterproofness of the garmet. It will keep me dry from the outside but won't breath as well is the nylon gets wet.

mjqood0 11-09-2004 05:23 PM

SEND THEM BACK!!!

I have a ton of Gore-Tex and the whole point is that it IS waterproof....

drstalker 11-09-2004 05:33 PM

Hey MN good to see you over here.I have some gortex boots and the place that they can let water in is where the rubber of the sole meets the fabric.Is that where your boots leak?

MNpurple 11-09-2004 07:50 PM

Good to see you too drstalker
Yep, they have the Gore-Tex tag on them. They are the Danner Pronghorns, 400 grams thinsulate, gortex, mostly leather.
The are surely going back. Had heard so many good things about Danners, so I dropped the money for them, too bad. Their comfort is awesome, but leaking is no good. I bought them through cabelas, so I shouldn't have any problem returning them. May try another pair, otherwise I might go back to the Rockys.