Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any Bowhunters using Paxil? >

Any Bowhunters using Paxil?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any Bowhunters using Paxil?

Old 11-08-2004, 02:05 PM

Default RE: Any Bowhunters using Paxil?

HAZCON;
I am not a doctor by any stretch,, but it sounds that anti-meds is not the answer either. Give your body and mind to ADJUST.If it still seems the same in 3 weeks,, please e-mail me @ [email protected] and we can talk more.
Again,i talk to my psychiatrist about all medications all the time.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

Oh my God,, are you manic-depressive?? If so,, you are on the wrong medication.
Find another psychiatrist and get another prescription. Possibly,the meds. are just starting to work and you need to give them time also?? 2 months and you should know for sure.
What mg.? My wifes depression is very severe and Man o Man,, and she is on a very high dosage of anti-depressants, w/ mood stabilizers. It is entirely possible that you are Bi-Polar and manic Depressive. You are not alone friend. Xanax is very widely prescribed and 85% are not effective.
What is this a stupidpostathon?
Isn't this forum for everyone?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

quote:

Isn't this forum for everyone?
No worries Katbones, you are correct. But you have to admit your response was a bit drastic

I wasn't really looking to start a medical thread, I have faith in my doctor.
The adrenaline rush is one of the best parts of bowhunting, one that most gun only hunters will never know about until they switch.
So I was curious if any other bowhunters have experienced this. I've had some good responses on both sides of the issue - including giving my body and mind time to adjust - good responses indeed! Thanks guys!
Old 11-08-2004, 03:26 PM

Sorry guys/gals,, i do tend to get "Out Their"
Old 11-08-2004, 06:10 PM

I suffer from general anxiety and had accute depression for a while after my family bailed on me. Paxil is not for manic depression, there are other more stronger drugs out there for that. Paxil is usually prescribed for anxiety or mild depression. It is niether a stimulant or a depressent. It is a saratonin (spelling) uptake inhibitor. Most people that suffer from anxiety or constant stress have a chemical imbalance and this drug and others like them (buspar and zoloft to name a few) help to regulate that. These drugs are not like prozac or those types of drugs. Watching your diet closer and staying away from smoking and caffiene will help alot as well.

Not every drug works for every person, sometimes you have to experiment with different ones to see what works best. I tried Paxil, it made me freak out. My axniety got so severe I had to take time off work. Buspar seemed to work ok for me, but it made me feel like I was going to be sick all the time. I tried zoloft once as well and it made me very agressive. No anxiety, but I did lose a job for getting in a fight, which is not like me at all. Everything I tried had some sort of a side effect I didn't like, but the buspar worked the best for me. And yes it does take a while to get in your system and work right. About 2 months on average. Good advice on changing the time you take it, it might make a difference. You could also try taking a smaller dosage and see what happens. Eating pasta also helps with these chemicals.

As far as losing that rush, I don't know for sure. I would talk to your doctor about it and see what he says. You should keep him informed of anything that changes any way. My anxiety sort of works different. I can have anxiety for any reason, or no reason at all. There is no trigger or forwarning, it just happens and can be to varying degrees. The upside to this is when confronted with an immediate stressfull situation I am pretty calm, my body is used to being wired. Like if I get in a near miss accident or something, I am usually quite calm and navigate thru it without panicking. Now a few hours later it might sink in and then I get a bit gittery. Same way with hunting for me. I am pretty calm when I see deer. I don't have buck fever as you would call it. I see the deer and my subconsious takes over. I don't even remember shooting half the time. I just remember aiming and then seeing the deer run away. Afterwards is when I get all weak kneed and shakey. It's very hard for me to sit and wait to go recover the deer. And I'm all excited while tracking it. And incase you are wondering, I don't take anything for my anxiety any more. I don't advocate it though, there are other things that can go wrong with you as side effect to stress. Like ulcers and acid reflux among other things. I just decided I would rather deal with the anxiety than the side effects of the drugs. And I don't have insurance any more either which makes a big difference, but I quit taking them before that happened.

I will let you know that when I was taking Zoloft (the last thing I took) I had simular effects to what you are describing. That is why I got in the fight I think. I didn't start it, I was threatened and just didn't back down. I could have, and probably should have, but I wasn't nervous or scared, so I wanted to see how it would play out. So I basically had the same reaction you are talking about. My heart didn't speed up and I didn't feel a rush like you should when someone threatens you. Sometimes adrenaline is good for you.

Give the paxil a little while to see how it works, if you don't like it ask to try something different. My doctor told me there are dozens of these types of drugs, you just need to find the right one for you. I just got sick of being a guinie pig and quit going to the doctor. I'm not real swift though when it comes to that sort of stuff. I haven't been to a doctor in over 6 years, and at my age (37) I should go at least once year.

Good luck, and if you ever want to talk about it, PM me or something. I Know how you feel and sympathize with you.

Paul
Old 11-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Someone very close to me has tried them all and the one that is working for her is called Lexapro. It is one of the newer ones out there and has way fewer side effects. The biggest side effect of Zoloft for her was weight gain. Good luck to you and know that there are millions out there suffering with the same ailment. Most people that have had it say that all of a sudden , one day you will get up and things will be different . The pressures of life really hammer on us sometimes.
"Endeavor to persevere"
Old 11-08-2004, 11:08 PM

I always found that hunting was the best cure for stress and depression. If it's only a little stress then dump the pills and grab you'r bow and let nature do it's thing get away from all the things causeing you stress for a week and see how you feel.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Xanax tends to bring you down while Paxil tends to lift you up, mood wise that is.
Anyone got any extra Paxil? I could use some right now.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:23 AM

Don't you have a buddy thats a shadetree pharmacist? I bet he can hook you up[8D]
Old 11-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know nothing of any of the meds talked about here, just want to relate my "adreniline rush" feelings in relation to my hunting. I always have been able to maintain myself when a deer was around, yes I got the rush but it was always controlled enough to make the shot. Over the years now, when seeing a non-shooter buck, or even a shooter doe, I don't get too excited. If I have to wait on a deer for an exceptionally long time, a little bit of nerves will kick in, but otherwise its pretty methodical. My big release comes after the deer leaves, whether I got a shot off or not. Good luck getting your meds worked out, but the seeming lack of a huge adreniline rush, could just be a maturity in your hunting. As long as the thrill is still there when you do shoot one, its all good.