Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any Bowhunters using Paxil? >

Any Bowhunters using Paxil?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any Bowhunters using Paxil?

Old 11-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any Bowhunters using Paxil?

I've been taking prescription Paxil for a few weeks now and I've noticed the last few times I've been really close to deer that I don't have near the adrenaline rush that I used to. I wouldn't say its taking all the fun out of bowhunting but it is definately taking some of the thrill/rush out.

I still had a good adrenaline rush when I came face to face with a massive buck last week but the smaller bucks and doe run-ins just don't have the same effect on me any more. They may as well be squirrels for all my heart rate cares.

Has anyone else experienced this with this medicine or am I just becoming too comfortable with my hunting setup?
Old 11-08-2004, 12:11 PM

Default RE: Any Bowhunters using Paxil?

Oh my God,, are you manic-depressive?? If so,, you are on the wrong medication.
Find another psychiatrist and get another prescription. Possibly,the meds. are just starting to work and you need to give them time also?? 2 months and you should know for sure.
What mg.? My wifes depression is very severe and Man o Man,, and she is on a very high dosage of anti-depressants, w/ mood stabilizers. It is entirely possible that you are Bi-Polar and manic Depressive. You are not alone friend. Xanax is very widely prescribed and 85% are not effective.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh my God,, are you manic-depressive?? If so,, you are on the wrong medication.
Find another psychiatrist and get another prescription. Possibly,the meds. are just starting to work and you need to give them time also?? 2 months and you should know for sure.
What mg.? My wifes depression is very severe and Man o Man,, and she is on a very high dosage of anti-depressants, w/ mood stabilizers. It is entirely possible that you are Bi-Polar and manic Depressive. You are not alone friend. Xanax is very widely prescribed and 85% are not effective.
What is this a stupidpostathon?
Old 11-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

What is this a stupidpostathon?
ROTFLMAO!!!! :-)
Old 11-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I'm not manic or psychotic... just dealing with a little stress.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

I take some medications, Prozac. If the meds work stick with them. My only suggestion maybe be to try taking them at night before bed. Switching this up may change little things and you may be able to get that heart pounding excitement again.

Jim
Old 11-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hazcon,

I had a friend get shot last year during deer season. I also had a bunch of stuff going on at work at the same time and I was getting pretty stressed. I started taking Xanax. It did tend to dull the adrenaline rush a little. However, it also helped me stay a little calmer in the heat of the battle. All in all, I found it to be a positive becase the deminshed adrenaline rush was minimal. I am not sure how Paxil compares but I assume it would probably have a similar affect.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys thats pretty much what I was thinking also. It might become an advantage when the time comes.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience so I could determine if it was the medicine or I was just losing interest. I'm hoping its the medicine because I am proud to say I am a bowhunter and would hate to lose the passion.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it is the meds. My heart no longer speeds up and I don't get that rush anymore UNLESS a nice buck that I would want appears. If it is a dink or a doe, I just sit there calmly and enjoy the show, I even catch myself smiling like an idiot and I feel silly after. Those AD drugs take a good 4 to 6 weeks to build up in your system and begin to work anyway.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a friend get shot last year during deer season. I also had a bunch of stuff going on at work at the same time and I was getting pretty stressed. I started taking Xanax. It did tend to dull the adrenaline rush a little. However, it also helped me stay a little calmer in the heat of the battle. All in all, I found it to be a positive becase the deminshed adrenaline rush was minimal. I am not sure how Paxil compares but I assume it would probably have a similar affect.
Xanax is a sedating type anti-anxiety drug and works totally different than an anti-depressive drug like Paxil. Xanax will minimize adrenaline release. Xanax tends to bring you down while Paxil tends to lift you up, mood wise that is.

Quick Reply: Any Bowhunters using Paxil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.