HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How in the world do you stay on stand ALL day? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/78354-how-world-do-you-stay-stand-all-day.html)

badshotbob 11-08-2004 11:24 AM

How in the world do you stay on stand ALL day?

This weekend coming up I finally have nothing to do but hunt. Cool thing is, this coming weekend is absolute peak rut here in MI - best weekend to bow hunt all year IMO. I am going to try to stay on stand as long as possible and would like to stay out there all day on stand but just don't think I have it in me. Come 10am, I'm ready to get down and usually won't make it back out until 3p. Prime hours I'm not in the woods during peak rut. Since I've never pulled an all-dayer, what are the tricks? How do you stay out there the entire day? That's almost 12 hours in the stand! Tips? Tricks? How do you pee? Eat? Read? My Dad's friend would never miss this time of year to hunt all day, he killed most of his bucks between noon and 2. Thanks for any advice.

cardeer 11-08-2004 11:38 AM

RE: How in the world do you stay on stand ALL day?

Desire ,I'm very competitive that helps. Go prepared ,dress well,take something to read,
dootle,plenty to eat,water. You just want to have to do it . Like anything else in life. You get what you put in to it.People especially my family ask me why I struggle with pain and hunt thru my disability for a deer that cost more per pound then if you bought the meat. Why I want to be winner a reason to live in my older years. If I had to sit on a sofa all day I would soon got to waste and pass on.

Stump_MN_Hunter 11-08-2004 11:41 AM

This weekend I sat full days on Sat and yesterday. I'm about to trade my arse in for another one...it hurts! lol To be honest, I think hunting all day sucks. But you can't shoot any deer sittin at home or in the truck. Bring a few sandwiches, tail mix and plenty of water. Cell phone games usually kills a couple hours. Anyone want to play against me in Tetris? ;) Watch what you eat the previous day. Make sure it's not something that doesn't agree with you the best the next day or your going to need a fair amount of T paper. Bring changes of socks in case your feet get all sweated up. You feet will get cold and you'll need different socks. I also try and limit my water intake the night before and throughout the day so I don't have to pee a lot. By the end of the hunt, I was singing songs to myself, talking to myself, talking to deer that were out of range, talking to squirrels. Really brings out the best in you...that's for sure. And last of all, if you get tired and find yourself nodding off, GET OUT OF YOUR STAND and take a little nap. Sure you aren't going to shoot or see anything, but beats falling asleep in your stand and falling out. Good luck!!

mjqood0 11-08-2004 11:48 AM

I'm just jealous of anyone out there who has a stand comfortable enough to sit down in for more than 20 minutes without the family jewels falling asleep.... [:o] If only I could afford something other than the old Lock-On LEM my dad gave me... truely a POS, but it does get me off the ground till I can afford better :D

On the same note, bring a good book. At least you'll be able to kill a little time if you get truely bored.

Good luck on your hunt!

Crazystups 11-08-2004 12:14 PM

The treelouge allows me to sit in comfort all day 10-12 hours in my stand! :-) W/O the family jewls hurting! ;)

IL_BOW_MAN 11-08-2004 12:18 PM

W/O the family jewls hurting
OH NO, they don't hurt at all, in fact you just plain can't feel them!! I have a couple of these stands and they do the same thing.

Fieldmouse 11-08-2004 12:24 PM

It aint easy but remember getting up and stretching is a lot better or should I say less disruptive to getting down and walking out of the woods only to come back in later on.

Katbones 11-08-2004 12:31 PM

LOL:D,, Bob, your asking the wrong guy here:D

huntingheck69 11-08-2004 12:49 PM

comfortable stand,munchies,book,water,piss bottle,tp(you just never know) and the anticipation that you will be leaving with the monster you've worked so hard for. and also knowing that you won't have to do the chores the wife gives you.

tbonecpa 11-08-2004 12:58 PM

DESIRE! The desire to shoot a mature whitetail buck. This time of year is as good as it gets. I think about how sick I would feel if I get down only to come back later and see a fresh rub/scrape or jump a big buck when I got back to my stand. I did that once, never again. Now I wear enough clothes, bring enough food, and a big enough pee bottle. Stay long, hunt strong.