Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How in the world do you stay on stand ALL day? >

How in the world do you stay on stand ALL day?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How in the world do you stay on stand ALL day?

Old 11-09-2004, 09:47 PM

Default RE: How in the world do you stay on stand ALL day?

I take food-(tkae it out of any niosy wrapper and re-package in something quiet), plenty of water (and a pee bottle), sometimes a book, sometimes a pen and paper-just anything that doesn't require much movement. I have also seen people take game-boys! I don't know about that, I go hunting to get away from all of that!-Anyway, whatever works for you and keeps you quiet, still, and occupied-but still alert to your surroundings. Take Binos and scan constantly. Study squirrell behavior with and without the presence of deer. Study the birds and how they react to you and different things that you do. All of these are important, because the deer LIVE with these animals, and know what these reactions mean......Anyway---hope this helps
God Bless and Happy Hunting,
SL
Old 11-09-2004, 10:39 PM

I have read about letting the golden rain fly out in the woods does not spook dear. Then I read that it does. I wish we could get a solid answer on this. But I will settle on everyones input on this.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:11 AM

I have heard both things about the golden rain---I just take a jug, because it is better safe than sorry!
Old 11-10-2004, 09:10 AM

badshot; I've had multiple back surgerys and have tried quite a few tree stands. My back would ache so bad I would go almost numb....then I bought a used tree lounge (the older model with the square tubes---a must!!!) and can now stay up in the tree forever if I want to. The hardest thing is not falling to sleep it's so comfortable!!!! I've read on here all the pros and cons of the tree lounge but I'm here to tell ya---I've never even come close to having any problems. You just go slow and take your time while climbing up and down and use all the safety gear you'd use with any other stand. Plus I see tons more deer than I used to see. Hardly ever (really rare) get winded cause I hunt at least 25-30 high. There's alot of pluses of useing the tree lounge if ya ask me. Anyway, if you want to hunt from daybreak to dusk----pick up a tree lounge.....
Old 11-10-2004, 11:27 AM

Comfort, comfort and more comfort. I have three all day stands. My TRee lounge is my favorite all day stand. I even set my watch and take a short nap in the afternoon.
Water, food, and camera help pass the time.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm on the side of the fence that let's the pee fly. I've peed out of my stand several times and had deer walk almost under me only minutes later. IMO, and from what I've observed in the woods, it doesn't spook them.

Another question regarding sitting all day: you obviously take more with you afield. What are some of you using for backpacks or to carry the gear to the field? Since I've never hunted all day, a few pockets full of stuff is all I've ever needed. Anything cheap out there?
Old 11-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

I have taken deer after pissing from my stand too,not doing it is an overated thing.I have read in the past that they can smell medicines in urine?I don't know ,I believe much of it is bunk.I allways look forward to all day hunts when I can get away to do it.Compfort is important, but I do it at times in stands that suck totally.I have a back pack that I can pack alot of what you guys mentioned,also one of the other guys mentioned about what motivates an all day hunt,and I agree 100%.He mentioned something about only hunting all day durring the rut.Let me tell ya ,every one talks "rut this rut that",if you can get out with an aproaching cold front, or even other factors, that also is a good time to do an all day hunt.I take "mental vacations" if you will ,and imagine all kinds of scenerios while I am on stand all day.The mind is a powerfull thing,every sound is a potental deer,that in itself is a motivating factor for keeping you in stand longer.Also pay attention to other species of animal movement durring the day,you might ask"why are these flocks of birds all of a sudden moving as well why did that red fox just move through?"All this can help spark the interest of the hunt.You also would not believe how "in tune" your senses become after being out in the woods alot.My sense of smell, hearing ,and seing minute movments, increses immensely.I wish I had the time to do all day hunts at least twice a week.Being in shape(and I'm not anymore) I believe helps too,because a healthy back and strong ab muscles as well as other muscle groups ,don't tire as easily and go numb, or become totaly iritated.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I sit our all day on opening day of gun season. And I bring enough food because at about 10:30 you get bored so you want to eat. I aslo bring something new to tinker with. like a camera and find out how to work everything on it. Get two things done at once. As for the peeing all you need is a funnel and some tube. Dig a hole couple feet deep and put a coffee can up side down and cut a hole for the tube. Cover the can and run the tube to your stand and put the funnel on it you can pee in the funnel and it all goes down the tube into the ground.

Quick Reply: How in the world do you stay on stand ALL day?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.