Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First Buck w/ Bow >

First Buck w/ Bow

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Buck w/ Bow

Old 11-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Spike

Default First Buck w/ Bow

Took this deer with my Bow Saturday at around 5:40. We think it would be an 8 point if he had not broken off all but the 2 remaining ones.

It had passed behind my stand about 15 mins. earlier and was pushing a doe around in the field north of the woods. It went into some brush about 100 yards away so I decided to rattle and see if he was interested. Prior to this I had not recieved any response to my rattling so I didn't know if I was scaring them off or they just were not around. Well he charged out of the brush right towards me, stopped at the edge of the woods and beat the crap out of a small sapling then came right in on me. When I shot him he was at around 12 yards, the shot hit one lung and just nicked the heart.

After the shot he took two steps looked up at me and didn’t really move, took about 10 steps and looked at me again. Then he spotted a couple doe at the east edge of the woods and took off as fast as he could to them. I watched him with my binoculars for a couple mins. then saw the doe come out but not him.

I gave him about 1.5 hours, until a buddy came out, to expire then we tracked him. Very easy trail to follow, found him about 20 yards from where I last saw him, about 100-125 yards from the shot.

He’s butchered and in the freezer. Anyone have some good sausage or jerky recipies?

My buddy that helped field dress him couldn't believe his size, as he hunts in PA where the deer are not corn fed like here in Ohio.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:30 AM

Default RE: First Buck w/ Bow

Feels good to get the first one. Keep on trying. Should be a little easier now your confidence level is up
Old 11-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrat's on your first ,he's got pretty good size to him .

nubo
Old 11-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome first buck congrats!!!!! What was the spread on him?
Old 11-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go! Congrats on a fine first buck!
Old 11-08-2004, 12:11 PM

congrats on the deer!
Old 11-08-2004, 12:18 PM

Way to go!! Thanks 4 the story and pic.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Spike

Can't give you a spread measurement as the right side of his rack was completly broken off. You can see in this pic below.

Yeah he was very good sized, body wise. After field dressing him I was really glad I only had to drag him to the edge of the field, about 20 yards, to the awaiting tractor. Even only that far I had to stop twice.

Wish I had a way to weigh him but I couldn't figure out a way to do it with what I had available.

Pic was taken by my daughter, she wanted to get one of it's tongue sticking out.

Old 11-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates. A typo right 5:40 ???????????
Old 11-08-2004, 04:10 PM

congrats on the buck, i wonder how he busted his rack up that bad?

Quick Reply: First Buck w/ Bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.