Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-08-2004, 12:26 PM

Default RE: ABC's of Game Cooking? GIVE IT UP & PASS IT ON!

I have a GREAT recipe for venison shoulder! And it's simple!

Just get one of those "cook in a bag" for beef roasts, except put the venison shoulder in the bag instead, with the spices that come in the bag. Cook at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours, IT'S MAGNIFICANT!!!!

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 11-08-2004, 02:25 PM

deer meat rare??? I thought it needed to be cooked fully?
Old 11-08-2004, 04:23 PM

You are not alone KeithK. As stated before that is what most folks perception is, well done. The same goes true for pork. Now pork I will not eat pink but once the juices run clear it is fine to eat. Venison steaks or chops with some butter and garlic sear 3 to 4 minutes on high each side in a frying pan for a quick feast.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:42 AM

Venison and pork have a high protein content, what that means is after you take it off the grill or out of the oven it will continue to cook for about 5 more minutes. The best thing is to take it off the heat cooked slightly less than what you would like, let it sit for 5 minuets and it should be about perfect. The mistake most people make is to cook the meat to exactly the way they want it, by time you serve it it will be slightly over cooked.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

I might be a little strange to some of you but I've been eating venison rare to Med rare for as long as I can remember! I would rather have it to red that to done. Heck I can eat a hole pound of raw beef hamburger. I've been eating raw hamburger for as long as I can remember. A little salt & pepper! YUMMY!I believe this is a German delicasy!
Old 11-09-2004, 06:13 PM

I read about this one in a magizine and gave it a try. I'd have to say it was excelent and easy.

The deal is simple, sprinkle some very fine ground COFFEE on each side of a thick slice of back strap (or whatever). First you season with garlic salt to bring the blood to the surface. The coffee then mixes with the blood and creates a thin juice saving crust when grilled. They recommended you do one side and wait 20 min. then flip the meat over and season the other. The wait time is to allow the coffee and blood to mix. I wrapped a piece of peppered bacon around the meat to add some fat and to protect the sides from getting dry.

6 min. on each side and there you go! It sounds weird but I assure you that there is no coffee taste, just primo juicy meat to eat!
Old 11-09-2004, 09:02 PM

The fastest best way to cook great venison is in a well seasoned cast iron pan. Take some chops, steaks or whatever and cut into bite sized cubes and season however you wish. I use salt, pepper (lot), and the seasoning Outback Steakhouse puts on their Lamb (The chef at the local Outback is a hunter I know) Saute' some red onion and green pepper in the pan in butter and fresh crushed garlic and add meat when veggies are cooked to your liking. The pan will be VERY hot once you add the meat so it won't take long at all from there. Seared perfectly outside and tender and pink inside.

DON'T OVERCOOK VENISON...........and use FRESH garlic over powder.....you will be amazed at the difference. The thinner you slice it or crush it the more garlic flavor you get.

I'm hungry [8D]
Old 11-09-2004, 09:04 PM

I also take a bunch of chops and steaks and slice them thin while still a bit frozen for easier cutting.

Put in crock pot with seasonings of choice and mixture of mushroom soup and brown gravy to your tastes. Cook as long as you want and serve on hard rolls with horseradish and mustard.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite venison recipe is one thats been passed down thru generations by a bunch of hillbillys (Kentucks) from my family.

Take a backstrap and butterfly your pieces roughly 1" thick.
Put all pieces in a bowl , fill bowl with milk to cover all pieces , cover and place in frig overnight.
When ready to cook , take pieces from bowl and pat dry on paper towel.
Beat a couple eggs in a bowl , then dip pieces in egg , then cover them with bread crumbs and set on plate.
When you have all pieces covered in bread crumbs melt butter in cast iron skillet.
Place pieces in skillet for roughly 2 minutes per side or check bottom and turn when golden brown.
After turning sprinkle with salt & pepper (or favorite seasoning) and cook until other side is golden brown , remove from pan and transfer to awaiting mouths. This recipe seldom makes it to a dinner platter as my family is usually waiting by the stove with forks in hand.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:59 AM

Apple juice mixed with italian dressing is my favorite marinade. I use on venison, chicken and steak. Excellent. Place frozen or thawed meat in bowl with the 2 ingredients and place in fridge overnight or up to 2 days. Cook meat as you normally do.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.