Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ABC's of Game Cooking? GIVE IT UP & PASS IT ON!

You might want to try the camp cooking forum before a mod moves it .
There are all kinds of recipes and ideas there .
Old 11-08-2004, 09:59 AM

The biggest mistake I've seen when cooking venison starts at the meat cutter. I always have my steaks cut 1" to 1 1/4" thick. Anything less and it's to easy to over cook. Venison should be rare when served.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find that marinating deer meat doesn't cause one to have to go to a lot of trouble to prep it before cooking.

Depending on what you use to marinade, I always stick with simple stuff such as Italian dressing and maybe some Worcester sauce. Then some seasonings and marinate for a couple days ideally.

That simple concoction has always made steaks taste good off the grill.

Otherwise, the loin chops taste GREAT with some melted butter brushed on them and then Old Bay crab seasoning sprinkled on or if you can get it, Wye River black seasoning. I think they only sell the Wye River on shelves here in Maryland, but I know you can get it online. Wye River seasoning changed the way I eat deer meat forever. The stuff rocks!

Melted butter and sprinkled crab seasoning on loin chops placed on hot grill and cooked no longer till pink/reddish in the middle. BAM!!
Old 11-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Eider

Venison should be rare when served.
I agree 100%. I think most of the reason that some people don't like venison is because it's over cooked! Mine is still kickin after it comes of the grille. DELICIOUSE!!!I also wip up my own combo that I brush on right before you take them off the grille. This consits of
Liquid smoke
soy sauce
Ketchup
Musturd
Steak sause
Garlick powder
Stirr indredients together brush on steaks! I just add all these utill I get the taste I want.
You can even inject them with this sauce!

Another thing to try. Take a roast, of anything. Put in the crock pot add 1/2 a can of beer. Do with the rest of the beer what ever you please, but mine never goes to waste! Then put a can of diced tomatoes. I prefer hot ones. Cook all day on low. It's awesome! Don't forget a hole sliced up onion!
Old 11-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

I forgot the sauted onions & mushrooms. Saute in butter, soy sauce & a garlic clove!
Old 11-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

chazspot,

I will have to try that. I eat Old Bay on anything I can think of, and would bet the Wye River, which I liked when I've had it, is great too. Do you put it on meat that has been marinating in Worchestire or the other stuff you mentioned, or do you put the Wye River on only non marinated meat?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2004, 11:34 AM

Best Venison / Beef roast:

Slice a large onion and put in the bottom of a crock pot
Put a good sized roast in the crock pot on top of the onion
Add 1 can Tomato soup and 1 can mushroom soup
Add a seasoning mix (McCormick SW Steak Seasoning, Old Bay, whatever you like)
Add some Worchestire, soy and liquid smoke
Cook all day on low.

You end up with a really tender roast with some great gravy to go over noodles...

I like hot food, so I always add some Cayanne pepper or Tobasco to my portion (wife doesn't like it hot...)

And I totally agree. Either serve it med. rare or less or cook it all day in a crock pot. Anything else is really tough...
Old 11-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

DougMD,

I pretty much but Wye River Black formula on any meat marinated or not (It's that good!) But I have to say the best application I have seen/eaten is cutting up a loin in small finger pieces and brushing with butter and doused with the Wye River Black. Of course I concur with everybody else on the temps the meat should be at...rare!

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.