Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This has become the "I wounded one" forum >

This has become the "I wounded one" forum

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This has become the "I wounded one" forum

Old 11-08-2004, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: This has become the "I wounded one" forum

It's my son's first year bowhunting but he's been on several tracking jobs before. Being a new hunter shouldn't mean new to the woods.
it shouldn't but for a lot of people it does, your son is lucky to have you!

its to bad that not everybody on here had that luxuery, people that are self taught have to go on what they read from books and places like this, i don't get mad at the new hunter for his shot if they have done what they need to do, like practice and become proficent with a bow, things happen in the woods it's not like target shooting. the person that pisses me off is the one that buys his bow m/l'er or rifle a few days before the season and is goin huntin. i read one state regs that says you have to demonstrate profiecency with a bow don't remember where but i thought that would be a good idea.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

This forum states
Share equipment experiences and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
IL-BOW-MAN well said
Some come here for help and hopefully we can help and teach others so they may become a better bowhunter.

We would like for people to learn these things before entering the woods but in reality its not always gonna happen, some are inexperienced and havent had the opportunities to learn to track or havent bothered to and want the help after the fact....some are weekend warriors.... we hope to help and teach so they dont go out and wound or lose another deer.

Before I bowhunted my husband would go out bowhunting and come and get me when he would shoot a deer and make me blood trail it alone while he would go and get our son and his friends whom wanted to learn about bowhunting... He would tag the Deer and I would drag the deer to an area to field dress it while the kids would watch and help hands on if they liked to learn to field dress a deer, and then help to load and transport the deer to check it in..... it taught me alot and the kids were very interested in learning!!!!!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:19 AM

I feel any info from anybody is good . You owe it to the deer. Anytime i can help someone i want to. Some people have a lot more experience than others. Experience helps.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

I really hate to jump in here but I have to. Nobody on this or any other site will ever know if I wound a deer. This is just the kind of bait the ANTI's are looking for and are logging in for their next fight. I believe the Moderators should delete any post that starts with "I hit one but...". If you do hit one, and it probably will happen to a lot of us then later on ask a general tracking question but don't chalk up another wounded deer story.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really hate to jump in here but I have to. Nobody on this or any other site will ever know if I wound a deer. This is just the kind of bait the ANTI's are looking for and are logging in for their next fight. I believe the Moderators should delete any post that starts with "I hit one but...".
I refuse to live my life to tip toe around the anti's.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to disagree with you longbowman. We help each other out in many ways on this forum. The specifics of the hit, location, what the deer was doing or how it reacted all can make a difference in the feedback you get from others, and potentially may help you recover your deer. I got some great feedback on my post that helped me find an additional 100 yards or so of blood trail. Unfortunately the buck was not at the end of the blood trail for me, but perhaps for another hunter he will be.
As for waiting a while then asking a general question about tracking... What good would that do? The sign is probably gone, the deer is rotten or eaten, and you won't go out to "track" any sign that still isn't there, therefore losing a chance to get first hand experience so that if (hopefully not) it ever happens again you may be more prepared.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:04 AM

I have to say -- I agree and disagree with this thread.

First of all, I agree with Muley on this one. This forum has become a "I Hit one BUT..." forum. I'm not saying that's bad. In some cases, good hunters are asking advice for certian aspects of tracking or finding their deer. These posts should be here.

But the posts that get me upset are those who say the following:
1. "I Hit the deer, but i'm not sure where" -- I understand it's not always easy to see exactly where you hit a deer, but in most cases, you should have a good idea....

2. "I keep missing deer" -- These are the people who practice once or twice, but never out of their stands. I have very limited sympathy for them.

3. "I tracked the deer but couldn't find it" and then later "after about 100 yards, I figured it was lost". -- I've only seen this in one post, but I was so angry I couldn't even respond. Do people really think a deer will just fall over on the spot???

We have to uphold the morals of our sport. If someone is hunting with marginal ethics or practice, it is OUR responsibility to let that person know they are in the wrong. Otherwise, we are only encouraging them. And another thing before I put my soapbox away -- when people come here saying they screwed up, but could we help them, why do we just keep telling them they screwed up? Everyone screws up, but it's the bigger person who can admit it and learn from it...

Okay. Soapbox back in closet.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The forum is here to discuss bowhunting. We don't talk about tracking a deer just hit in the middle of July. It is now season. Tracking, wounding, and killing are part of the hunt whether we want to accept it or not. I am not ashamed of talking about this part of the hunt and will not coward in the corner because of some anti peta freak lurking about. This is my 24th season of hunting. I've tracked many deer over the years and have had some unique experiences in which I've gained some cool knowledge from. Part of the reason I joined this site was due to the common ground we as hunters have in discussing every facet of the hunting experience, and ultimately learning. I am not an expert by any stretch, but will stretch out my hand for those that ask for advice. No, we can't determine the exact hit or find a deer over the net, but if anything else, it supports those that need a pick me up, encourages the young or inexperienced hunter to go back out and look for different things, and most of all, helps people learn and grow as a hunter. What is wrong with that? I hunted alone almost all of last season, and 98% of my season this year will be by myself. I find this place to be a virtual campfire at times. Nothing wrong with that either.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your sick of the topic, why make a post which brings the issue to the fore-front yet again??
We've had similiar posts, and you could have just bumped up one of them, with your comment.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:21 AM

I also will NEVER decide what to do or not to do based on what I think the ANTI's might have to say about it. If they don't like what I do too bad. I don't like them either.....get on with your life.

Having said that..........I think what drives people crazy about the lost deer threads are not the mishaps or bad luck or that the deer hasn't been found yet.

What drives everyone nuts is when

#1 We hear idiotic comments that show a lack of even BASIC knowledge required to properly execute a successful bow kill and recovery. If you don't have even BASIC knowledge about what to do you should not be in the woods hunting.....plain and simple. Jesus.....some of these people say things that make you wonder if they even took the bowhunter education class. You don't have to be Chuck Adams to kill a deer and find it.........but if you can't shoot, have lousy equipment, don't know what happened after you fired, and get up and chase after the deer thinking it is just gonna lay down and wait for you then you are a pinhead. Stay home and play your X-BOX and stop wounding animals. If you hit a deer in the ass and you were aiming for his chest their better be a really good explanation for it. If you think a 45 yard neck shot is a good idea even though you can't hit a pie plate from 20 yards then you don't deserve anyone's help because you didn't bother to put ANY effort into the job yourself and are now crying for help because it blew up in your face.

Everyone thinks it's funny or that they will be able to handle it when it happens to them.........until a 12 ptr walks out at 15 yards and they wet their pants and forget their names. Then they come here saying "Please help me"

I have no problem helping someone do whatever possible to find a deer. I do think that it is very apparent just by reading a thread if anyone stands a chance of offering any meaningful help. If someone is totally clueless they aren't gonna do what they are told anyways. They didn't listen to anyone right up until they shot the deer.........what makes you think they are gonna change now?? They are just gonna go out and walk all over the woods hoping to stumble on him............and probably shoot at another one while they are at it.

It's funny(sad) how everyone becomes this overly caring heart felt sorrow victim of circumstances AFTER they screw the pooch on a nice deer. If you REALLY cared as much as you are pretending to care now.........you would have done more to properly prepare yourself for going bowhunting. Your crying now is not for the deer.........it is for the selfish reason of wanting the deer for YOU so you can show everyone what a great hunter you are.

The BASIC information needed to become CAPABLE of killing and finding a deer with a bow can be obtained in one night of reading in this forum alone or about 100 other web sites out there. You should have some idea already from bowhunter education class. Numerous books are also available and let's face it guys........it's not rocket science. Anyone can learn the BASICS and experience will teach you the details. There is absolutely no excuse for being unprepared with all the resources available today.

People don't take it seriously enough.........until it hits the fan and they are standing in the middle of the woods alone after poorly shooting a big buck 15 minutes before they have to go to work and it's raining and they were so excited they don't really remember what happened.

TOO LATE!!!

Quick Reply: This has become the "I wounded one" forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.