HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Little to no Blood Trail.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/78187-little-no-blood-trail.html)

Startac37 11-06-2004 07:47 PM

Little to no Blood Trail....

Sorry bout this, but it is gun season in North Dakota now, and i figured bow hunters would know more than gun hunters about blood trails and what not, but i shot a buck from a little over 10 yards today, real big, possibly boone and crocket... but the trouble is, there is blood where i shot him, and you can see his hoove prints. but like 50 yards after that the blood thins way out to about little to none, it is nearly impossble to follow. we tracked for 3 hours and went about 100 yards. My question is what type of hit would that be, it was a quartering away shot. but would i have just nicked him, or put it in his gut or why would he bleed so little? I dont know if anyone can answer that, but i just want to hear what you think and maybe some experiences you might have had....

Bobby5 11-07-2004 09:05 AM

RE: Little to no Blood Trail....

My guess would be a muscle shot

Bobby5 11-07-2004 11:06 AM

In one of my hunting books here is a description of what sounds like your situation ........ *Large splotches of blood at the spot where the animal was hit, turning to continuous drops that diminish within 100 to 200 yards. You may find some clots along the trail. Bleeding continues as long as the deer is moving but stops when the animal lies down. This pattern indicats a hit in the leg, back muscles or neck muscles, or rarely, in the body cavity. Eventually these wounds will stop bleeding, so youll have to trail the deer based on other clues.... hope this helps

Bobby5 11-07-2004 11:07 AM

Did the blood have food particles in it or smell bad?

Carpmaster 11-07-2004 11:41 AM

What did it do at the shot??? Where did you aim? Where did you think hit it? What were you using(gun)? What type of bullet??? How far was it sighted for? How do you feel about the shot??? Were you on him good??

Startac37 11-07-2004 07:45 PM

i bet i hit it in the legs or some place not very vital. coyotes probably got it by now, thanks for the info, and all those questions, i aimed from the hip, it wasnt a confident shot, but looking at a buck of a lifetime it was a risk i was willing to take. but now i cant find it, so was it all worth it? never know.

OHBowhunter 11-07-2004 07:53 PM

Aimed from the hip. Holy cow!! I never heard of such a stupid thing. What in the heck were you thinking. I don't care what kind of deer it was.

Dubbya 11-07-2004 08:06 PM

I'm not gonna say a whole lot because it wouldn't be very nice. But I suggest you take a look at the decision you made and figure out what you should have done differently. You will probably never have an opportunity at that buck again. This may not be the case if you had let him walk. Also it is irresponsible acts like this that add fuel to that ANTI's fire. They "hate the game not the player" which unfortunately hurts all of us. It would be a little different situation had you made a conscious effort to make an ethical shot. Good luck finding the deer, I hope you act more thoughtfully in tracking than shooting.

muley69 11-07-2004 11:08 PM

I'm trying my best not to explode....[:@]

ShadowAce 11-08-2004 12:46 AM

You have GOT to be kidding me. It's bad enough to DO that, but even worse to POST about it. Sorry man, you'll get no empathy here.[:@]