Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I'm REALLY bad at this! >

I'm REALLY bad at this!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm REALLY bad at this!

Old 11-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I'm REALLY bad at this!

Your lucky you seen 8 deer ,especially depending where in pa. you were.You did all right I know guys who have not seen 8 deer the past 5 weeks
Old 11-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Spike

I guess I really should be thankful that I have been so lucky--seeing as many deer.
I started hunting at age 12 and am now pushing 38.(I stopped at age 21 during college and med school, but picked up bowhunting 2 years ago) Originally a typical Pa rifle hunter, one or two days and done, but without ever bagging one. I was lucky enough to arrow a doe on New Years day this year, which fueled the fire even more. I now realize that it is an extreme learning curve, and shouldn't be so hard on myself, but being a type a personality--I need to be an expert last year!!
Old 11-05-2004, 12:19 PM

Hang in there dude.

Movement and noise are the primary things that will get you busted IMO.

Now we all know that you have to move to draw a bow and kill a deer........so knowing WHEN to move and when not to move is something best learned through experience unfortunately. There is no book to tell you when a deer can't see you. You have to watch the deer and decide for yourself when your best chance is gonna be to come to full draw.

I have a spot I hunt where I am in a tree at the corner of a field. The field slopes down to me so when deer are in the field 20 yards away they look almost level with me. I saw a deer coming my way earlier this year and drew my bow when it was about 100 yards away and just held and held because I knew if I waited it would have seen me..........it never came in bow range but if it did I was ready.

I get busted every year.........this year is no exception. I have had at least 10 different bucks go by me without a clue (killed 1) and yet I have been busted TWICE by does!! Once I had no idea they were there until they ran [8D] and the next time I was sitting down and when I saw her coming I stood up at the wrong time and "SEE YA"........sometimes you just get busted man.

If it was super simple to get the drop on a deer they wouldn't be fun to hunt.

As far as noise goes I really think a lot of people don't see many deer because they make too much noise. Small clicks on your stand, clanging metal, clearing your throat or coughing, sniffing from a runny nose all day....etc. All these things will draw attention to you and cause deer to avoid your location at least.

Combine the two and you have deer looking right at you because you made a noise and then spotting you because you can't sit still. Better know a recipe for tag stew

Scent is overrated IMO......biggest money making scam out there. Nothing better then selling chumps something that can't be proven or disproven. If you aren't seeing deer it MIGHT be because you stink...................but it MIGHT NOT be because you stink either. I wonder how many guys out have spent about $1,500 on scent free armour only to find out that it WASN'T because they stink

People have been killing deer for hundreds of years without being locked in scent free bubbles.

Spend time on stand big guy and you will be shocked when one walks right on up and DOESN'T notice you.

Then you will think it is easy as pie..........until next time
Old 11-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Spike

Thanks atlasman. I thoroughly enjoy being out in the field again, especially with all the knowledge that I have picked up from this forum. It makes me feel better that it may have not been the smoking or body scent. I was reasonably sure it was movement at the wrong time along with the combination of being a little too low in a sparsely covered tree. I too am not totally convinced in the extremes of scent covering(I will still shower and attempt to at least the clothes as scent free as possible), but not spend a fortune on scent lok clothing.
By the way I should have mentioned that I had called the spike and four pointer in with the can, but the four pointer appeared when I was finishing urinating--so you could say I was caught with my pants down.
The rut is definately on in Pa.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is a good post.
Having your treestand high enough allows you to get away with more. having cover in the tree helps from being picked out too. You can also get away with a little less scent control being higher up. I like to get a minimum of 18 ft, preferably 22 ft. I can't remember the last time I have been picked off drawing on a deer. Just today I shot a doe 5 yards from my tree with 4 other deer around. I had to stand and grab my bow while they were less than 20 yds(came in fast) SO just keep at ti, learning when to move and what you can get away with is all part of the game.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Others have posted good advice. What I will add is enjoy yourself. Bowhunting is fun, exciting and full of mistakes. I've been bow hunting for over 20 years. Trophy hunting for at least 10. I've gotten to see huge every year at least once and several times multible times a year. I've only had them in range a few times but have not taken it because of mistakes sometimes and others not the best shot.

In summary, it is always a learning and growing expirience. Just seeing deer and their behavior can be fun in itself. I enjoy it many times over and over. I will also continue to make mistakes but I will still only bow hunt.

Good luck and enjoy
Old 11-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scent controll important - where you store your clothes so they don't absorb garage odors for example. I f you sweat walking out to your stand its automatic.....wash them before the next trip.

Very simple..........no smoking! Not on the stand or buy your hunting clothes.

Camo pattern isn't that important but if you hunt a common type of cover, match it!

Tree stand height is very important, you can hunt from 12 to 15 feet but you will get busted easier. Try to stay in that 18 to 22 foot range and you'll drastically reduce getting busted.

Movement is huge.........I stand 90% of the time, my head turns only, like an owl, When I can't see any futher to an angle, I will slowly turn my body. Standing puts you inline with the tree. I hang my bow from a realtree EZ hanger. If you hold it you'll tend to swing it and move it when looking behind you. During the rut and at primetime (last hour), I sometimes hold the bow.

Last tip......I feel I see deer way before most hunters. I work at it. The earlier you spot the deer the better chance of getting a shot and also not getting busted. I typically watch behind me or very difficult place to see the most, the easier places need less attention. You don't want to be surprised by the deer, you want to surprise them!

Good Luck!
Old 11-06-2004, 01:09 AM

WT all sounds good except for the smoking part.I love to have a smoke when iam on stand for sure but i also hunt 20 to 25ft up in the tree and yes have still been busted from the smell of the cigarrete...but have also arrowed them with 1 hanging out of my mouth.Its all about the wind direction and tree stand height and which direction the deer come from.If they come in downwind from you theres a good chance smoking or not your gonna get busted.Play the wind at all times and try to limit how many smoke you have i keep it to 1 every 2 hours try to get wrapped up in your area...watch the other wildlife around you to keep your mind off having another smoke that works well for me.I hope this advice can help ya Good Luck

Old 11-06-2004, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

2nd season huh, I remember them days. Fun isnt it, dont get discouraged and give up. sounds like the spot you have has alot of deer. It took me 7yrs to bag my first deer with a bow. Ive seen times when I was gonna sell everything. But just kept up with it learning a little here and there. my pop would take me hunting but not to much deer hunting, and as he got older he didnt really wanna go anymore. so I had to pretty much teach myself. I hope you dont smoke in the stand thats a no,no. and Try to stay as scent free as possible. Id just keep at it and have fun. At least you arent hitting a ball and running to look for it.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:12 AM

I agree...you just need to raise the elevation you're hunting from. If you hunt in an area where there's lots of hunters, the deer are probably used to "looking up" for tree stands...they're not dummies. After a few of their relatives are arrowed right next to them they get used to watching what's above them. I used to hunt with the 16 foot stick ladders and got busted alot. I got a tree lounge and now it's a very rare time when A deer has a clue I'm there. So if you want more deer and shots....raise your height!!!