Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missed!

Old 11-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Missed!

Well I missed a Doe tonight, over her back! I bought a video camera last week and I have been recording some stuff every time I go out. Kinda like a video diary that I'll be able to watch in 20 years. I got the pro bow cam arm that I attached to the rail on my climber. Pretty cool. I had 2 does come by and I got the camera on them and she got to about 25 yards(I thought) so I let it rip and well over her back! There was only 5 minutes left of legal hunting so the camera was a bit dark but with my Luminocks I saw go right over her back. Now I can watch my miss over and over and over, again and again! Looks pretty cool watching my arrow go in slow motion, zoomed in and miss(not cool)!!!!!!!!!!![8D]
Good Luck!
Old 11-03-2004, 10:18 PM

Default RE: Missed!

I had that heart breaking experience last year. Only try it with a 150 class buck. I used my 30 yard pin when the deer was at 25. This would've hit high in the lungs had the buck not ducked the arrow of my Mathews Legacy. Main reason I got rid of that bow, slow slow slow.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:55 PM

too bad bowhuntingfool I am sure you won't let it happen again. revenge is on its way recording hunts is great I started doing the same thing and it will be cool watchint them it like 20years.

PS jhalfhill a deer can jump the string on even the fastest bow out there. so it had nothing to do with the mathews legacy either the deer seen you or herd the bow. it has been proven that to beat a alert deers reflects your bow would have to travel 750fps I do not think they make a bow that fast.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: huntingheck69
PS jhalfhill a deer can jump the string on even the fastest bow out there. so it had nothing to do with the mathews legacy either the deer seen you or herd the bow. it has been proven that to beat a alert deers reflects your bow would have to travel 750fps I do not think they make a bow that fast.
I agree, it is impossible to keep a deer from jumping your arrow. However it is possible to minimize the distnce that they move before the arrow gets there. This deer heard the bow go off and at 30 yards his chest was to the ground by the time the arrow got there. The arrow cleared just 2 inches above his back. I'm sure of it that the BowTech would have at least stuck him in the spine or high in the lungs. Although not the greatest shots, they would have gotten the job done. My cousin shoots IBO professionaly and told me the exact same thing that you just told me. So being the curious kid that I am, I had several friends gather round as I shot my BowTech into a hay bale and my one buddy shot my Legacy into the haybale. We tried shooting seperate first then simultaneously. Here's the exact words from my dad who witnessed:

*I shoot BowTech*
"That bow doesn't seem all that fast"
*Buddy shoots Legacy*
"It was a hell of a lot faster than that one though!"

Basically what I'm getting at is the time difference between Thwing.......SMACK, and Thwing.............................SMACK.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

I know how you feel i had a doe jump the string on me last week. She kept staring at my blind, she knew something was diffrent just didnt know what was up. I touched one off and she shot straight up in the air, she was only about 15 yards away. I passed up a small one yesterday afternoon, it was the only thing to come close enough, i saw plenty of deer 70 yards and farther away. Rifle is coming soon i have to get something soon to get the edge off.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:05 AM

Awesome,, i bet it looked like Tracer fire on the video = Go get them again!
Old 11-04-2004, 08:43 AM

Well we've all been there. Most of wern't lucky enough to capture in on film though. Starting out I had difficulty accurately judging yardages in the woods. It's certainly diffrent then out in the open but I learned to pick land marks and to use them as guides for estimating yardages. Deer size can play tricks on you. smaller deer look farther away and larger deer look closer but if you know a specific tre is 25 yards then you've got a landmark to judge distance by. When I hunt from my climber the first thing I do once I get my bow up and get seated is I look for landmarks to guide my shooting.

Keep at it and you should get some footage of spilled blood under you stand. I'm routeing for you and hope to see a post about a deer shot on video soon.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:51 AM

I hate to miss deer. One thing to be thankful for that it wasnt a big buck, you would be sicker. Learn from that miss and make it count on the next deer. If you never missed it wouldnt be as much fun now would it. Check out my pic Hope i dont miss him when he finally shows up.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

A quiet bow is better than a fast bow.......

Quiet.......sssshhhhhh..................... it happens.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

It happens!!! Too bad, youll smoke her next time!

Quick Reply: Missed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.