Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A friend of mine is in trouble. >

A friend of mine is in trouble.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A friend of mine is in trouble.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:19 PM

Default RE: A friend of mine is in trouble.

He said that he normally has the regs, but when he bought his license at Gander Mountain they were out of them. I don't think he's one to regularly ignore the law. This is just some seriously terrible luck. [&o]
Old 11-03-2004, 12:32 PM

Something similar happened to me a few years ago, and I admit it was my fault, but luckily the DNR took it easy on me. I hunted for the first time in Nebraska and I went to Wal-Mart (my first mistake) to get my license to bow hunt deer. I told them at Wally World that that is what I wanted to do, so please sell me what I needed. They sold me the basic hunting license, which allows me to hunt small game, nothing more. I asked if this is what I needed and they assured me it was. So I didn't think anything more about it until I shot a small 7 point. We have to check our deer in at the local police station so I walk in and give them my small game license and tell them that I shot a buck and wanted to check it in. The lady asked me for my deer permit and I said, that's all I have. She looked at me for a few seconds and said, "I'll be right back." She didn't come back, but the sheriff did and asked, "Do you realize how much trouble you're in?" I said, "No." But I was beginning to get that lead in your belly feeling.

The sheriff starts talking about $800 property fine (for the deer), $750 hunting violation fine, and loss of hunting rights. I started to think about other things as well, like loss of my bow, whether or not my truck could be confiscated because the deer was in it at the time, etc. I just sunk to the floor with my head in my hands, on the verge of crying.

Well, I was with my hunting buddy, who also happened to be my pastor, and the sheriff realized I wasn't a hardened crinimal since I came traipsing into the police station trying to check my deer in. A poacher wouldn't normally do that, and if I knew I was in the wrong, I could have got my permit off of the internet before coming in. Anyway, the sheriff believed me that I thought I had all the license I needed and put in a good word for me with the Warden and I got off with a $75 fine. I got to keep the deer and did not lose my hunting privileges at all.

The difference in this case is that I made it to the police station before anyone turned me in. If I had been turned in before getting to the station, the results would have been much different, I'm sure. In your friend's case, though, the DNR does not know if he intended to check it in or not.

I was wrong, as is your friend, but I believe we were both unaware of our wrong doings. Hopefully your friend will get a lenient and understanding judge/prosecuter. However, if they let him slide, people who purposely do wrong can and will use the same excuse... "I just didn't know." You can see where that could lead to big problems, especially if it gets out that your friend was given a break. Law enforcement agencies are in a tough position. Even the warden that fined me said that he had to fine me something to keep that from happening. He even hinted that I just try to keep this quiet. I hope I didn't break that trust by posting here.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:39 PM

I think your penalty was much more reasonable given that there was no criminal intent whatsoever. Save the stiff penalties for the real criminals.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

i hope he gets a break....
some of you guys are amazing....just amazing.....
Old 11-03-2004, 01:21 PM

Unfortunately, since he got caught before he tried to register the deer he looks guilty as sin. It is like a shop lifter saying they were going to put it back, while they are walking out the door with it. It may very well have been an honest mistake, but if you were not personally involved he would look guilty to you too. I am sympathetic to him, but he really should have read the reg's. We all know they change every single year.
Hopefully all ends up decent and he learns his lesson and it is not too expensive. I know that anyone reading this post will not make the same "mistake".
Thanks for posting this and taking the abuse that came along with that.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with BadAttitude. Ignorance of the rules aside, he knew he was in earn a buck, but purposefully didn't follow the rules.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:14 PM

I gotta feel for the guy...

He didn't know he was in EAB, he didn't know of the T-Zone regulation. I think he should have read the rules, and he does deserve to be penalized, but I don't think they should throw the book at him.

My father was legally hunting private land (his father's) in Michigan when I was around 12. For those who don't know, MI's DNR is very very very STRICT. My dad shot a small 6 point and it ran into a neighboring property. He could see it from the edge of the 80 acres my grandpa owned. Knowing the neighboring people were home, he left his bow and his hunting equipment next to a tree on his dad's land and walked around to the front of the guy's house. He rang the doorbell and asked if he could get the deer. THey said sure, but warned him the DNR was patrolling heavily in the public land bordering both of their lands. The guy told my dad to walk through his field and take the short way back, meanwhile getting his deer. Thanking them, my dad left.

When he got to the deer, he realized his tag was about 50 yards away on his dad's land so he figured he'd drag the deer over, tag it, gut it and bring it home. As he stated dragging the buck, a DNR officer jumps out from behind a tree and tells him she is going to take his bow, his hunting clothes, pack and vehicle since he is in possession of a deer that isn't tagged. My dad ends up explaining himself, and eventually talked the lady into a ticket and a court date.

At court, they fine him $500 and take his deer. The sad part of the whole thing is that he was going to give the deer to his parents for food as they were very poor and the annual deer from my dad went a long way on helping them. In the process, we found out the laws and actually, the DNR in MI CAN take your weapon, hunting gear, and vehicle if you are caught poaching. They can also go wherever, private or public land... Sorta scary as they have more rights than the police....

My dad was in the wrong, and you better bet he tagged deer without moving them an inch from then on...

Your friend was wrong. Hopefully though, they give him a reasonable sentence...
Old 11-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

BagginBigguns, Here in Pa if you shoot a illegal buck and turn yourself in ,they always go easier on you.Shows responsibility for your actions.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:16 PM

I sure hope that none of you "rules-followers" ever slip up, and if you do, I wouldn't be on here seeking comfort. It sure is easy to sit back and throw out criticisms. This could happen to anyone, no matter how large or small the "slip-up." It was a mistake, the man asked for advice, not criticism
Old 11-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

He said that he normally has the regs, but when he bought his license at Gander Mountain they were out of them. I don't think he's one to regularly ignore the law. This is just some seriously terrible luck
He could have looked them up on the State's website or borrowed yours. I wish him luck.

Quick Reply: A friend of mine is in trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.