Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 May regret this one?? >

May regret this one??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

May regret this one??

Old 11-03-2004, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default May regret this one??

So yesterday I hustle out of work knowing, if I go straight to my hunting spot, change clothes and get to my stand, I can have a good hour and twenty minutes or so of hunting before dark. It is a slow drizzle as I drive way too fast to get those couple of extra minutes in the bush. I do see 2 flocks of turkey in route so I figure it's gonna be a good day.
I barely get my bow pulled up into the rickity old wooden stand, when a doe comes running behind me and slows to a walk in my shooting lane to my left. Hmm wonder what she was running from? I watched her back trail intensely but saw nothing. Now the rain picks up and the wind is swirling, as it nears the witching hour. A deer in the pines must catch my scent and snorts and snorts over and over. (this is kinda funny cuz the doe walked staright downwind of me and never flinched). Now I slowly turn to look behind me and I see a deer crossing an open field probably 125-150 yards away. I can't tell what it is through the branches and the deers background is standing corn. Light is fading, i have mere minutes of shootable light as it is getting dark early, due to the heavy skies. I grab the grunt tube braa braaaa, I can't see where the deer went. A minute or so later I let out another Braaa Braaaaaaa, and I see the deer moving towards me and along the tree line. I am using buck pee as a scent and the deer is coming right in. the deer enters the trees nose to the ground, damn it's a buck! He comes right under my stand at 5 yards. It's a nice buck an 8 point. He is standing perfect, so close i could leap out of the stand and tackle him. The only problem is he isn't quite a wall hanger, I have seen 2 bucks bigger than him in this area. So I simply admire him as he stands there, and then, after a reasonable amount of time he gets antsy and moves on. So today that buck lives, I may regret it a the season goes on. But it was a great hunt, I hope he learned a lesson that will let him grow to trophy quality next year, that is, as long as he doesn't tempt me like that again!
Old 11-03-2004, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: May regret this one??

imo there is nothing to regret it's getting dark , raining and he wasn't the buck that you wanted just think you could have hit him then with the dark and rain it would be VERY easy to loose him you did the right thing by admiring him and watching him go by
Old 11-03-2004, 06:34 AM

JMO. . .you did the right thing . . . . nice story and hope your luck changes soon.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:56 AM

There have been a couple of deer I rember giving the pass to only to end up eating buck tag soup. It happens on occasion but such is the game we play. By letting him walk yu may very well get the shot at the buck you want. Hopefully that's the case but only time will tell.
The real test will be what happens if he gives you another shot?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look at it this way, you didn't fill that tag, so you will still be out there hunting for those bigger boys! Best of luck!
Old 11-03-2004, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You made the right choice! If for any reason at all not to shoot, If you know what your looking for just stick with it and it will pay off in the end. good luck!
Old 11-03-2004, 08:50 AM

Great story, good luck getting the bigger one.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a good hunt to me. Good choice hold out for the big boy. What happens if there's only 3 days left in the season and he presents that shot again?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

I'm in the same boat with you.I've passed up a few nice 8 points, holding out for a keeper or I'll eat the tag.I did see a 140 class a couple days ago.To far(40 yrds) and to much brush for a shot.I passed up some nice 8 pointers last year and ate the tag holding out for a 10.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea but then if you shot it and weren't happy, you'd be regretting shooting it.

Quick Reply: May regret this one??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.