Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Best Mechanical >

The Best Mechanical

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Best Mechanical

Old 11-02-2004, 06:58 AM

Default RE: The Best Mechanical

The last 11 deer I shot were with NAP Spitfires and one was with the new Spitfire XP. No deer went farther than 30 yards. In fact the two I shot this year droped only 20 yards away. Shot placement is key. The first deer had pass through and took out both lungs. The second deer this year did not have pass through but I clip the heart, the arrow was stuck in part of the shoulder, she droped 20 yards away. Some people have questioned my set up as being to light for these broadheads. I dis agree based on my succes. Here is what I shoot. Jennings Trophy Master at 60lbs draw, 26" draw length, ACC 128's with 100gr Spitfires. It works great for me. I will continue to shoot spitfires and spitfireXPs. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gee , the spitfires work great for me. The deer I shot this year had a 3 inch exit hole with lungs hanging out of it
Old 11-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too have used spitfires the last several years, 8 deer, 3 turkeys, 2 red fox, with large holes and good blood trails.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:11 AM

Lot of good ones but Spitfires are my favorite............but I have 76# of KE ! Here's a pic of the exit on a doe I shot a few weeks ago !

Old 11-02-2004, 10:18 AM

i started using a mechanical called a Vortec this season. i ordered them from Cabellas. they are a 2 bladed mechanical with a very wide cutting surface (over 2" i think). i shoot a lower poundage bow and they have worked well for me. no pass throughs but very good blood trial.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have used a number of mechanicals. I have used the old Punchcutters, Bloodtrailers, Rocky Mt. Revolution, Rocky Mt. Snypers, Rocket Steelheads, Rocket Sledgehammers, and now NAP Spitfires. I have taken deer with all but the Bloodtrailers. The ones I would recommend the most are the Snypers and the Spitfires. Rocket broadheads are good too, but as stated earlier the blades need attention before hunting.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:20 PM

Well since it is up for discussion and this is my first year back seriously bowhunting I'll throw out a plea for suggestions.

I am pulling 63 lbs at a 30 inch draw with Easton Gamegetter 2117 aluminum arrows from a Bear compound with 100 grain heads. I picked up some mechanicals since I hadn't shot in a few years and was not sure how long I'd last due to shoulder injury and if I'd have time to retune the Muzzy's. I used to pull 68lbs but couldn't do it this fall. The mechanicals I picked up fly just like my field tips. They are made by Allen and are their spider 3 blade mechanicals with a 1 1/2 inch cutting diameter. Looking for experience or suggestions. I am hunting Jersey Thanksgiving weekend and want to be sure of humane kills. Obviously placement is crucial but looking for suggestions. I am not against changeing broadheads as I still have at least 4 or 5 practice sessions to go before I leave.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-02-2004, 05:39 PM

WASP JAK-HAMMER's are a nice little mechanical head as well. They offer a smaller diameter for lower energy setups and they did a number on the buck I shot. Didn't get a passthrough though and so I had a tough blood trail..........drips at best.

At the end of that track job I decided right then and there that would be the LAST time I crawled on my hands and knees squinting for blood on a perfectly shot deer.

I have been shooting Magnus Stingers ever since and last week got to see how they did on a deer. The biggest problem I have now is struggling to pull the arrow out of the ground after a passthrough Like a hot knife through butter........and short GREAT blood trail.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

You maybe interested in the Grim Reapers if you want to get rid of the rubberbands and still shoot a mechanical. They open a lot easier then the spitfire's if you shoot a low KE set up. Plus they cut a nasty hole, and fly like a field point. I love the motto as well....

Are you hunting bambi?
Or Godzilla?

LOL. Grim Reapers are bad.

Quick Reply: The Best Mechanical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.