Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how are the minnesota hunters doin? >

how are the minnesota hunters doin?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how are the minnesota hunters doin?

Old 11-01-2004, 06:34 PM

Default how are the minnesota hunters doin?

just curious how all yall are doing? been out a couple of times this yr and seen a doe and a bigger buck, both didnt respond to grunts or "the can", and havent seen much of rubs or scrapes, ive talked to some pple down here in southern minnesota and theyve all have said the same thing
Old 11-01-2004, 06:37 PM

Default RE: how are the minnesota hunters doin?

To be honest this whole season has kind of sucked. I really haven't seen the deer sign and "on stand" sightings that I normally have. I really don't know what's going on either. Maybe just wrong place at the wrong time. Hopefully things will pickup for me. I'm going down to Houston this weekend and hunting with a buddy of mine. He says that stuff is really rolling now. I'm pretty pumped up for the trip.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:43 PM

I agree, this has been an unusual year, finally starting to see a little sign, and I mean little. Just filled a management tag over the weekend. Have'nt been seeing the bucks though, only a small 4 pointer and thats it. Going to keep pluggin away though, its got to pick up soon I'm sure.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did the ripley hunt this weekend. I only saw one deer, an 8 point, which i was lucky enough to get. There were a lot of guys seeing bucks running does. Otherwise, I just haven't seen a whole heck of a lot of deer this year. It should be really good for the next couple weeks.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:58 AM

I have not been able to get out lately, I saw a deer running across a field this morning on the way to work. That is always a good sign. I just wish I would have been able to get out this last week and hunt before the guns start blasting.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:39 AM

It really seems to be pretty slow. I have been filling some intensive harvest permits and passing time. I have tagged three so far but I am just not seeing the bucks I would expect. Rifle season starts this weekend so I am running out of time. It isn't looking good. I don't know what the deal is. I have a couple different bucks on the deer cam but I haven't seen them while hunting. Guess I better take the afternoon off and go find them. [8D]
Old 11-02-2004, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Here to seams to be slower than normal to, but I'm going to blame that on all the corn still in the feilds. I've seen a couple of nice bucks and passed on around a 100'' 8 point. I'm going to try and hit the field pretty hard this week. Slug hunting starts this weekend and that usually negatively affects deer sightings. I just hope that big boy is smart enough to avoid getting killed this weekend. But I hope he's dumb enough to walk within rang of me this week!
Old 11-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

About the same for me down here in Southern Mn. I am seeing more activity in the last week or so, but not many big bucks. I have seen some smaller ones, and 2 9 pointers that would go around 135-140.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was out tonight and for the first time saw more than one buck at a time. I think they are moving right now. Not hot and heavy but the bucks are moving around. Last night I had a eight point 100 class come in on my scent trail I laid out. Tonight had a fork, basket rack nine and one hell of a monster come in. The monster stayed out 10 yards before my lane. I watched him thrash trees throuhg the binocs. The nine point came up and stuck his nose right to my scent wick which was hung 5 yards from my stand. That was cool. Get out as much as possible, this is the start of good things.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:07 PM

Didn't see too much in the Paul Bunyan State Forest where I usually hunt but this week I found a patch of county land a little closer to home and have seen numerous does....not much for bucks though....one four pointer. I don't think they're really into the rut yet. I'm thinkin' once the shooting starts this weekend they'll be going nocturnal which, hopefully, means they'll still be around for us bowhunters after the rifle season!