Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Have you ever been shot at? >

Have you ever been shot at?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever been shot at?

Old 11-07-2004, 10:07 AM

Default RE: Have you ever been shot at?

Atlasman, Youshould have replied, "Here's your sign!"
Old 11-07-2004, 10:24 AM

When I was younger one of my friends (no longer) shot me with a .22 rifle. He thought the gun "was on safety", and pointed it at me (on purpose-he knew it was loaded). I ducked when he pulled the trigger, and it entered just under my left arm. When the x-rays were taken, the bullet had lodged in between my heart and left shoulder socket -- Doctors said that it was too deep to risk surgery, so I still carry it around with me. Last time I had an x-ray it was still there. Since then I have become a hunter ed. instructor, and stress the importance of safe gun handeling, and choosing the right "friends" to hunt with. Sometimes I get a pain in that area to remind me how crucial it is to pick your hunting buddies wisely........
Old 11-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

years ago while while pheasant I was in some thick stuff when a quail took off between me and another hunter. I didn't know he was there and vica versa, My buddy on the other side of the hedge row saw what was unfolding and yelled to me to hit the deck. I thought he was going to take the bird so as I hit the ground the branches at eye level were blown away. I was facing my buddy who had his gun leveled at the guy who shot, and asked if I was ok. Good thing for the other guy I answered. A real close call. By the way my buddy would have shot, no questions asked. Also the same year some factory workers were making fun of us for shooting rabbits, They fired what sounded like a 22 at us, needless to say my buddy is always loaded down with slugs so we fired back and they quickly retreated into the warehouse and closed the doors.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have never been shot at. I bowhunt public land and anytime I enter or leave the woods I have a flash light on, No matter How well I can see.

silbowhunter
Old 11-07-2004, 06:48 PM

Was that at Otter Slough MQ1? I'll be down there duck hunting Nov. 20 so watch out if your there .
Old 11-07-2004, 08:59 PM

this year I was hunting in a narrow funnel between a guys house/yard in the woods and a bean field. a spoil bank seperates his yard from the woods. well i was in my lock-on stand on the field edge which put me just over eye level of the spoil so I could see into his yard through the trees. all the sudden, BOOM BOOM BOOM. his buddy decided it was a good day to sight in his rifle and set his target up against the spoil bank. needless to say after a couple shots i got down from that tree as quik as I could. what pissed me off was that the guy knows that my stand was there.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been shot at a couple of times, all non intentional. Twice, just about 2 years back, I was in my treestand during pheasant season. Its a zoo here on public land, if there's a bird in the air, its going to get shot regardless of what is behind it. All that happened was the shot rained down on me thru the branches. Just made sure to look down so I wouldnt get one in the eye. LOL, almost had a wounded hen land in my lap too. The father and son who shot it came looking, they had no clue I was there. When they were at the base of my tree, I said "its over there". Scared the crap out of them, lol. They didnt recover the bird either. They saw it, got to it, and it took off running. Sure it was coyote food later that night.

Got shot at by a 22 when i was a kid too. I was scrounging thru a dump looking for wheels to build a go-cart or somethin when someone started plinking off the deck of a swimming pool. I wasnt supposed to be there, so instead of doing the smart thing and saying I was there, I just took cover and waited it out.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

20 years ago here in md, my dad was hunting pheasent with his brother and his brothers friend , they lined up about 25 yards apart and were walking a brush field when a small buck jumped up right inbetween my dad and his brothers friend before he could yell no the man shot my dad in the legs, just below the (no no) area all the way down to his feet he had alot of wholes in his legs, i still remember walking in the bathroom as my dad was in the bath and seing the red water(i was only 5) the crazy man did not go to the hospital for 2 weeks some of the pellets come out about 1 a year come to the surface of his skin and he cuts them out with a razor.............
Old 11-07-2004, 10:46 PM

Last season during rifle season I saw another hunter on the logging road I was on. When I pulled up my binoculars I saw his rifle pointed right at me, he was maybe 250 yards. When he saw me he quickly put his gun down. I pretended I was walking down the slope, when I got where he couldn't see me anymore I jacked back around and up to the road and hid in the pines and waited for him. About twenty minutes later around the corner he came. He about shat himself when I walked up and asked how he was doing. I had every intention of cracking him in the mouth, but when he turned around I discovered he was at best 13 years old. I casually got his name from him then told him if he every pointed a rifle at me again I would wrap it around his face, he denied that he did and I told him he better leave while he still can. Fortunately, my buddy knew his dad and told him the whole story, boy lost his rifle for the rest of the season, hopefully, he won't do that again.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:52 PM

I've been shot at during shotgun season a couple of times. Once was during a silent deer drive with people I hardly knew. The guy next to be started blasting his gun like a mad man. He was one of the drivers, as was I. I hit the dirt with my face baried into to ground. When the drive was over, I asked who the driver was that had the semi-automatic that was doing all the shooting, and this guy spoke up and said it was him, but that he had a pump action. Needless to say, I stopped doing drives with people I didn't know.

The other time I can recall was during a drive with family and friends, but my husband's cousin heard of our drive, and intercepted it with his two friends. They came between the drivers, (which I was one) and sitters. I was at one end of the drive as a driver when all the sudden I heard shots, and heard this noise going through the woods with twigs being broke. Then, as the person continued to shoot the shells were coming closer, and closer. Again, I hit the dirt. Flat on the ground with my face in the dirt. Drives have got to be the worst way to hunt when it comes to safety. I haven't heard many good stories about drives.

DMayer

Quick Reply: Have you ever been shot at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.