HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Strap-on/climbing sticks vs climbing stand. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/77409-strap-climbing-sticks-vs-climbing-stand.html)

Cougar Mag 10-29-2004 08:11 PM

Strap-on/climbing sticks vs climbing stand.

Although I love my climber, its becoming clearer to me that a good light portable strap on stand used in conjunction with a set of climbing sticks may be the way to go........if I find the right combo. Its difficult finding a good tree with cover in the location I want in some instances. I am leaning toward the Lone Wolf Alpha stand and Lone Wolf climbing sticks since I am very happy with their climbers. Any suggestions/experiences to share using portable stands with climbing sticks? The only downside I can see is perhaps packing both.

Clint. 10-29-2004 08:22 PM

RE: Strap-on/climbing sticks vs climbing stand.

I switched to a hang on and climbing sticks several years ago and haven't looked back. Much better...use any tree. I broke down and bought an aluminum one for this season though.....every ounce matters to us old guys. In my woods early in the season, I only go up 12 feet initially but add more sections to the ladder later on in the season. When the leaves are all on and the canopy is low, 12 feet works great for me...but later on I need the increased height. This year, I have 4 hang on/stick combo stands and one 16 foot ladder stand. A five stand total gives me great flexibility. Now....if I can just find time to hunt!

Clint

Justin 10-29-2004 08:26 PM

I used to think there wasn't really that much of a difference between the Lone Wolf climbing sticks and any other set of cheapo sticks I could pick up for $40. That was until this year when Todd exposed me to the wonderful world of the Lone Wolf sticks. I will honestly never again purchase another tree step or climbing stick again. The Lone Wolf sticks are simply amazing. Light, quiet, super easy to put up, strong, and stabil. They're easy to pack in and out as well because they're so light and they come with a velcro strap to attach them all together.

The same goes for the Lone Wolf Alpha hang-on stand. I've hunted from numerous other hang-on stands in my day, and the Lone Wolf is hands down the best of the bunch. It's light, quiet, comfortable, and easy to put up. Plus it comes with cool features like loops for attaching your bow rope, and a built-in bow holder. You simply cannot get a better stand in my opinion.

eightwgt 10-29-2004 08:46 PM

Climbing sticks/ladders are the ONLY way to go.... I started 2 years ago and no way would I climb any other way......

Look at the Buck Steps from Summit also....... nice steps

Good luck Cougar

Mike from Texas 10-31-2004 01:58 PM

I agree on the lock on/sticks combination. However I use the Summit Bucksteps & Headhunter Lite. This combo weighs about 20# and will get you 15-16' up depending on your stride.