Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Stand On Our Land & Its Not Ours!!! >

New Stand On Our Land & Its Not Ours!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Stand On Our Land & Its Not Ours!!!

Old 10-27-2004, 07:55 AM

Default New Stand On Our Land & Its Not Ours!!!

Went to one of my hot spots last night. Since I havn't seen a deer in the woods for like 2 weeks now, so I figured I would try 1 on my hot spots, to find out that someone has built a stand on my dads land, and worse of all its painted! [:@] We have a pretty good idea of the person that might half built it. Should we get the game warrden involved or should we try to slove this issue by talking to the guy but we arn't 100% sure of who it is.

Also since this stand is painted and more than likley painted in the woods do you think this might be a factor to why we havn't seen any deer not 1 in like 2 weeks. My other stand is about 200 yards down the ridge from this newly built stand!

Some people just can't respect others property! [:@]
Old 10-27-2004, 07:59 AM

Default RE: New Stand On Our Land & Its Not Ours!!!

If it were me I would rip the stand down and talk to the person who you think may have built it. In addition, it couldn't hurt to speak to the game warden and let him know what happened and to keep an eye out.

I definitely wouldn't leave it there.

With regards to the paint, I think that it should have dried relatively quickly and only affected deer movement for a short while. What is more likely is that who ever built it has been hunting it and spooking deer out of the area.

Just my thoughts...good luck.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:04 AM

[:'(] Sounds like you may have a real nice new stand = Yes i would talk to the person first, and hopefully resolve this issue in a gentlemanly fashion. Also consider making a new hunting buddy in the mix ??
Old 10-27-2004, 08:07 AM

It was definitley well built thats for sure, I climbed up in it to check it out. But im not sure what we are going to do yet. Its probably better that we cool down from this before we confront him.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would take the stand down and leave a note explaining where the owner can pick it up. Then talk to the guy, maybe it was just a mistake.

If it's a permanent stand I'd be pissed. I'd probably at least tear off the steps.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think that I would speak to him or even try to catch him in it ,then confront him ,I believe if you tear his stand down your opening yourself up to trouble ,he might come in and scare the deer off or even destroy your stand's .I wouldn't like it if I went out early one morning to go to my stand just to find it destroyed{your stands}. I'd leave it first, speak with the person that you think might have put it there,without making accusation's . Keep a close eye on the stand and hope you see someone using it and confront them.If this doesn't work then I'd contact the Ministry.

nubo
Old 10-27-2004, 08:23 AM
etw

I'd notify the police/sheriff. Then post a copy of the police report, it should have a number, in a plastic bag on top of YOUR new stand. Obviously, someone has been tresspassing. I would think anything NEW and painted in the deer's bedroom would cause the deer concern. They probably avoid the immediate area. But IMO the stand hasn't spoiled the entire area.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:29 AM

If your land isn't posted and it were a hang on stand I could understand. ( In N.H. you don't need permission if the land isn't posted. I'm not sure about where you're at.) But that clearly isn't the case. In both Maine and New Hampshire it's illegal to insert anything metalic into a tree you don't own without permission of the owner. I think who ever did this should get a swift kick in the rear all the way off your property and it should be made clear they are not welcome(if that's the case and it sounds like it is.). If they return I'd definately contact the warden and pursue action.

In the mean time I'd leave a civil note in the tree letting the person know you know it's there and they are not welcome. If it's a well built stand I personally leave it and use it yourself. Just make sure the note indicates that you'll be patroling the property now and the wardens have nbeen notified and you will prosecute tresspassers if they are caught. That should be enough to chase them off. If not then patrol and prosecute!

I often wonder where people get off with their thinking that crap like this is ok.[:@]
Old 10-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, leave a note. If it's permanent tell them that not only are they trespassing, they are destroying valuable trees. Tell them if anyone is seen in the stand the game warden will be called. And take the bottom steps out.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

First I would make sure it is in fact on your land and not just close to the border of a property. You didn't mention if it was in the heart of your propery or close to a line. I have a surveyor friend of mine and you'd be surprised how many people think they own land they in fact do not.....

Then if it is in fact on your land, I would notify the person who built and ask why? It could be an honest mistake as I mentioned above in not knowing where the appropriate line is...he may offer to tear it down and move it to his property or if he's rude, then follow up on a call to aurthorities which are usually a joke, tear the stand down or use it yourself, also placing posters on and around the stand could help you in prosecution.

Not a good situation but you better make sure your correct in your assumptions...remember the laws protect the guilty, not the innocent.

Quick Reply: New Stand On Our Land & Its Not Ours!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.