Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wind?

Old 10-26-2004, 01:05 PM

Default wind?

The wind is about 8 mph today and i was wondering if you think the deer would be moving? What kind of wind do the deer move the most in ?
Old 10-26-2004, 01:16 PM

Default RE: wind?

8 mph will be no problem. As far as the best wind, there are too many variables.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bobby i have hunted in wind much higher than that and had good results. An 8 mpr. wind is not bad at all. As a matter of fact i think that deer like a little breeze blowing they seem to be not so nervus. as long as it does not get to high like say 20-and up?
Old 10-26-2004, 01:20 PM

The best wind is where they don't smell you, because you won't know it that day why thay are not moving. So keep that wind away from the deer and you will see them move alot more.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:48 PM

I hope T.R dosn't mind me quoting him. Per his studies deer movement is effected by wind speed as follows.

Wind Speed
0-5 mph activity is best
6-10 mph there is still some whitetail activity
11-15 mph whitetail activity is limited
30+ mph there is minimal whitetail activity.

It goes on to say:
"There are two basic wind patterns, one occures during stable weather, with clear or partly cloudy skies. During this pattern there is little or no wind at sunrise and sunset, with the highest wind speed from mod to late afternoon; deer move to open food sources at dawn and dusk. The other pattern occurs durring changing weather conditions. During this pattern the wind speed may be constant throughout the day, with frequent wind gust reflecting unstable conditions; gusty winds often cause deer to seek cover, where they may nervously bed and move throughout the day."

So, what type of skies do you have?
Old 10-26-2004, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

When the rut heats up don't pass up an oppurtunity to hunt just because its windy. I have seen many wall hangers during 20MPH+ winds. My biggest buck to date was killed during these same conditions. Good hunting!
Old 10-29-2004, 03:27 PM

From my 20 years of bow hunting, strong winds during the rut is not a factor. Just be in your stand and wait it out. Some of the best bucks have been taken on windy days. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2004, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the info guys. What kind of skys do whitetail move the most on? cloudy or sunny
Old 11-05-2004, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Along the same topic, how much does wind affect the flight of an arrow? I usually practice on days with light wind, was practicing the other day with a 15 mph breeze from behind me, and noticed the arrows were a few inches higher at 30 yards. I'm still kind of new to bow hunting, how much consideration do you need to give to wind while aiming?

-Rick C.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:45 AM

Gusting winds seems to be bad except in the rut. The right wind is the best

Quick Reply: wind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.