HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   what do i do with my "old" bow? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/771-what-do-i-do-my-old-bow.html)

jsasker 01-07-2002 06:18 AM

what do i do with my "old" bow?

i am looking into buying a new bow and was wondering if anybody has brought their "old" to trade-in or is a person better off selling outright myself?what do i do with my old bow--i doubt that my wife will let me keep it!any feedback would be great--thanks ahead of time!

PABowhntr 01-07-2002 06:55 AM

RE: what do i do with my "old" bow?

jsasker,

Personally, I would definitely keep it as a back up. What happens if, in the middle of the season, something happens to your "new" bow? Now what do you do?

But, to answer your original question....there aren't too many places that will allow you to "trade in" an old bow. Some shops will allow you to put your old bow on the rack so that the pro shop can sell it for you.....ofcourse, they receive a small "seller's fee"...and if it doesn't sell then it will just sit there.

But, before I would go that route I would probably try Ebay first. I have bought and sold quite a few bows on there and would recommend it as a good way to get rid of "old" stock.

Be warned though....don't expect to get too much for your old bow. Most brands/models depreciate quickly. Even after 1 year some bows might not fetch more than half their original value.

Good luck.

jerseyjoe 01-07-2002 07:02 AM

Try to keep it as a back up...You never know what can happen to the new one...Old bows are usually a tough sell...

jsasker 01-07-2002 07:44 AM

thanks for help guys--i think i'll be BRAVE and ask/beg to keep my old bow for a backup.thanks again

OHarcher 01-07-2002 07:47 AM

Frank is correct.
I would try to keep it as a back up.If you must sell it you could use Ebay or some of the various Archery Classifieds but like Frank said don't expect to get top dollar for it,as fast as the bow business is today and with all the changes even 2 yr old bows in some cases are obsolete and just won't bring in the $$$$. Good Luck.

Slo-bo 01-07-2002 08:02 AM

Jsasker, you might tell your wife that it only makes sense to keep the old bow, as it is worth little or nothing as a trade, and it's good insurance against having to buy something else
mid-season if something did happen to the new one. Keep it if you can.

Charlie P 01-07-2002 08:09 AM

Give it to a young hunter that can't afford one.The reward you will get is worth alot more then money.

cardeer 01-07-2002 08:53 AM

I like the idea of giving it to a beginnner,or keep as a back up. Heck My wife dont even know when I buy a new bow ,gun or matter of fact the last 4 cars I bought I just pulled up in front of the house with them. Send your wife over here for a week and my wife will give her wife lessons on how to put up with a hunter and car fanatic. When you buy something for yourself buy her something just for her.You will be surprised how you will spend 400 and she is happy with a 10 dollar surprise. Just thinking of her when you buy something goes a llooooonnnnnnngggggggg way in tickling there fancy

jevan 01-07-2002 09:34 AM

I want a new bow too. my wife finally said get one but not too much...... if she can get a new house and lots of land why can`t I get a expensive bow, I forget I got a new boat and lots of offshore tackle and a new truck. but I still need a new bow

evan

naoutdoors 01-07-2002 09:51 AM

I'd try and keep it as a spare. If not and your wanting to get a little more out of it I'd try and sell to someone on your own. A bow shops not going to give you what an individual might, a shop would have to mark it up for resale.

North America Outdoors
www.naoutdoors.com