HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   butchering... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/77094-butchering.html)

bscofield 10-25-2004 10:49 PM

butchering...

I just had a great time tonight while a butcher of 40 years showed me how to butcher a deer! :D

It was a lot of fun. I wondered how many of you out there butcher your own. I mentioned the common thought of hunters that they do not get back their meat after it's been butchered and he said it was ridiculous. Said they had a every tray and deer labeled with the owner's name and ENSURED that everyone got their deer.

So who does butcher their own?

Fieldmouse 10-25-2004 11:13 PM

RE: butchering...

I do my own or have done it in the past. I like to watch my brother inlaw do it because he is top notch chef. He lays his collection of knives out and feels his way around the bone structure. It is amazing to see. Unfortunately he lives too far away.

I now have a neighbor who grew up and to this day feeds his family on deer. He can have a deer cut up and deboned with in 15 minutes. I'm sure my brother inlaw could do it that fast but without the drama of feeling out the bone structure it's not the same. I can say he's not far behind but you can't skip the ritual if you know what I mean.

SumHunter 10-26-2004 12:32 AM

I always do my own...I love to butterfly backstraps.

cardeer 10-26-2004 01:21 AM

Not me I tried it one time. took all night. And I couldn't stay awake in the deer stand the next day.Last thing I want to do after a all day deer hunt is go home and stay up all night. anyway I dont have the equipment to make sausage,jerky,baloney,meat sticks.The guy I have do it only charges 30.00 skins it and makes all the stuff and vacuum packs it

Fieldmouse 10-26-2004 03:23 AM

Let me also point out I don't make into hambuger any meat right off the bat. I use to do that. We made our own grinder for under $100. Very easy to do.

Just look for a hand grinder. One with a big throat. Have the handle removed and replaced with a big pully/wheel. Next find an old DC motor. Old dryers are a good source. Make a stand out of wood and add a fan belt and your in biz. With this set up you can grind a 5 gallon bucket in about 5 mins.

Today however, I will do only about 5 pounds at a time with my Kitchen Aid mixer. When I do it I only making jerky. So a large out fit isn't needed.

CC in WestV 10-26-2004 06:17 AM

I always do it myself when i have the time. Then i can do it exactly how i want it. If not, I know a guy who does a pretty good job for a reasonable price.
It takes some time and work but i think its worth it.

hunter25 10-26-2004 06:23 AM

I usually always do my own (sometimes the weather dictates otherwise). My Dad used to own a meat locker and learned a lot from him. It's something that I love to do and in my opinion is part of the whole deer hunting experience...along w/ gutting your deer. Call me crazy. Throw on some tunes, have a couple of beers and away we go. Look forward to it every year.

Justin 10-26-2004 06:57 AM

Unfortunately I don't have the facilities availabe to butcher my own deer, so I still take it to the local locker service and get it done. One of these days I certainly plan on doing it on my own, but for now I'll just have to stick with having someone else do it.

Bob H in NH 10-26-2004 07:13 AM

Did one last night, my son got his first Sunday afternoon on NH Youth Hunting weekend, me and the two boys had it skinned, cut, wrapped and in the freezer in two hours.

Turn on some tunes and have at it, it was one of the many uses I had in mind for my new garage!

--Bob

metalback 10-26-2004 07:20 AM

For me, boning parties with your hunting buddies (or friends that help you eat the animal....:) is a big, enjoyable part of hunting!!! Especially if it's a couple of elk or larger game. Teaching guys how to butterfly steaks is really gradifying watching their faces as they make their "own" first monster steak out of a small chunk of meat!!! We all sit around and everyone has a station they work from---one quartering, a couple boneing, a couple packaging and lableing, the beer delivery guy ( this guy is really worked hard....:) And some of the wives sitting around saying how gross everything is!!! I swear the boneing parties are almost as much fun as the hunting itself----almost!!!!....:) For anyone that hasn't tried it----you have to----I'll make bets that your meat will taste better after you know you were the one that packaged it!!! Have a great hunting season all!!!!! P.S.; Be sure to always wrap TWO layers of clear plastic wrap around each cut and then a layer of freezer paper---it will last till the next hunting season and have absolutely zero freezer burn as long as you press the air out of the plastic wrap. I just had some loin last night that I bow killed last Oct 4 and it was as bright red as the day I packaged it!!!!!